Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Skied a Line Blade yesterday, unbelievable ski...
    Mind elaborating?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Yep, what you said. Two very similar skiers can have very different experiences on the same ski in the same conditions. It's like me with most Atomic skis (e.g. Vantage 97's, Backland 107, etc), I've tried a lot of them and there is not one of them that I would like to own. But my shop owner buddy, who is roughly my size and a good skier, prefers them to just about anything else. Fortunately, we have options to suit us all. About the only way reviews are of use is if you find a reviewer who consistently likes the same gear as you. For instance, Blister of the last couple years. With Luke and Sam, both jibby jr. petite's, doing most of the reviewing it has become mostly meaningless for me. (not totally sure what jibby means so I hope I used the term correctly) But Paul Forward on the other hand, pretty much lines up nearly exactly with my preferences. And some attributes (e.g. the noise a ski makes) are more important to some than others. Again, we got options.
    I usually skim Luke and Sams review comments and right to Jonathan or Paul’s comments. They line up better with the skis I like usually.

Sound, as well as feel, are super important. One of the reasons I haven’t gotten along with ON3Ps is the sound they make. I really like a quieter ski, and funny pinging noises come from the ski it throws me off. I noticed a bit of weird noise coming from the Pon2oons when skiing end of a pow day groomers and settled pow when getting to the next stash, but not when in deep pow so it’s alright, cause I they are specialized tools.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You're forgetting the recall for faulty toe pins.
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/ma...to-fall-hazard

Oh I was talking about the problem with the Tecton's not all the ones with the Kingpins
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Skied a Line Blade yesterday, unbelievable ski...
    Most interesting looking ski in quite sometime, a fat slalom ski. Gotta give us a little more info please!

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    That is not the least compelling argument for teleing I've heard, but it still completely fails to move the needle.

Per conflicting Katana 108 quick reviews: I don't think I'm the only one here who feels these are essentially useless without direct comparisons to comparable skis. People ski different; at least if I know you like X ski for this reason but didn't like Y for that reason, I can make an inference. Old ass bike references aren't exceptionally helpful, but I get what you're saying about noise.
    Skied the new Katana. My biggest takeaway is it is a very turny ski. Feel like it has a 16m turn radius despite what the specs say. Doesn't like to be let loose and run, wants to be worked and turned constantly, and across the fall line. That being said, it does turn well. It is soft and damp and holds and edge through chop. It is heavy. It is energetic. It is loud as hell. Like a carbon dps, but a few notes lower. Like riding a Norco VPS loud. I think the skis I skied could be more detuned, so I will reasses after I do that.

I regularly ski the Corvus in the same length. The Corvus is definitely a dead feeling ski but I want that in a freeride ski. Yes, when doing tight turns on flat groomers, it feels boring and dead but do Super G turns down a 30 degree groomer or charge fans in chop and I don't want a spring loaded ski. The Corvus has a much longer (and longer feeling) turn radius than the Katana. It is much more comfortable letting it run and doesn't feel like it needs to be on edge and finishing it's turns all the time. The Corvus flexes stiffer and feels stiffer.

I wouldn't buy the Katana. They have made it a fat carving ski.

FYI: 5'6" 155lbs. Skied the 184 Katana with no detune. I regularly ski the 183 Corvus with no detune, although at this point it has done it itself. I loved the 190 Corvus as well but didn't want a touring ski in that length. Would be curious about the 191 Katana

2021 Volkl Katana K108

Looks like the Volkl Katana K108 is going to have a limited early launch in March. I was lucky enough to get a pair already. I have put 5 days on the Katanas already at Fernie. I have skied them in all sorts of conditions from Boiler-plate to 35cm of fresh. The ski is AWESOME! If you were a fan of the V-Werks Katana, then the K108 will blow your mind. Easily the most stable ski I have ever been on. Also, very versatile... I will be selling my M5, as I have no need for it anymore. This ski will become my daily driver with a Volkl Two in the closet for big POW days (and a Kuro for Cat skiing). This ski just simplified my quiver.

As far as GoldenBC's suggestion that this is just a fat carving ski... The ski can carve, but it's hardly just a fat carving ski. This thing rips huge GS turns in any snow condition but can also adjust to small radius turns if need be. That is the great thing about the 3D radius.

For some insight... I am 200Ibs 5'-9" tall. I am 45 years old and ski +/-45 days per season. I have been skiing for 41 years in the Rocky Mountains. I have a place at Fernie, so that is my home hill. I ski very aggressively and prefer BIG terrain. Until I bought the K108, my daily driver was a 184 Katana V-Werks with a 184 Mantra M5 for hardpack days and a Volkl Two 186 for resort powder days.
    Last edited by SnowCreekChad; 02-20-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added information

^ I would like to also be sponsored by Volkl, please pass along my info.

Here is the correct Lange 20/21 catalogue. Nothing exciting but of note, it lists the XT3 140 being a PU/Gril combo in the lower cog vs. PU/PU of the XT3 130. What's the advantage of the Grilamid in this case, extra stiffness at the same weight? Wasn't Lange trying to extol the virtues of the new XT3 going back to the PU ways for a better ski feel?

Lange 2021
    DPS 2021
    Scott 2021
    Armada 2021

This photo and the DPS catalog is hilarious. 4 product lines and 4 different builds that all have unique, totally meaningless names, and a shit ton of skis all within a few mm's waist widths of each other. Someone over there must get off on confusing customers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.51.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	316715
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-20-2020 at 02:39 PM.

there was a hostile takeover over there at DPS so none of the original crew is there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I know. It's all the more reason to rip on their product line

I keep thinking K108 is the Kartel 108. Thank goodness ON3P reverted back to the Jeffreys so we can keep the K108 and J108 clear.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This photo and the DPS catalog is hilarious. 4 product lines and 4 different builds that all have unique, totally meaningless names, and a shit ton of skis all within a few mm's waist widths of each other. Someone over there must get off on confusing customers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.51.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	316715
    This is such a disappointing lineup. Not only is it needlessly confusing (with a metric fuckton of overlap), but now the widest skis in the DPS line are 112 underfoot. Whatever happened to their Lotus 120 and above skis? Sad to see the company head in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    This is such a disappointing lineup. Not only is it needlessly confusing (with a metric fuckton of overlap), but now the widest skis in the DPS line are 112 underfoot. Whatever happened to their Lotus 120 and above skis? Sad to see the company head in this direction.
    you may have to squint. there is a Lotus 124 and Koala 119 listed.

the manufacturing manager told me had had some forms marked Lotus 120 but he had no idea what the ski was, I told him it was a cult classic so build it and they will come but I doubt we will see the lotus 120 again

I read it was a hostile takeover by a god head so expect to see little crosses in the graphics

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Most interesting looking ski in quite sometime, a fat slalom ski. Gotta give us a little more info please!
    It's a fat slalom ski! The redic tip shape has amazing turn in but with the metal skeleton layup it is super stable. Think a quicker amd more stable sakana. I dont think I'd want it as a daily since the turn radius is so short but it would be a fun set to add to the quiver for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Sad to see the direction that brand went in. They used to build some groundbreaking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Agreed. Management has killed that brand.

They used to have such good skis. Now, a bunch of bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I was recently talking to ski store guy who told me " You know all those guys we sold DPS to, we are now going to sell them Voile's "

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Sad to see the direction that brand went in. They used to build some groundbreaking skis.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see S. Drake and his Kangol pop up with a new innovative brand sometime soon. The original DPS crew proved their worth and with the likes of Renoun and WNDR pushing innovation, there’s still lots of latitude in the market

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ I would like to also be sponsored by Volkl, please pass along my info.
    Laughed

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCreekChad View Post
    Looks like the Volkl Katana K108 is going to have a limited early launch in March. I was lucky enough to get a pair already. I have put 5 days on the Katanas already at Fernie. I have skied them in all sorts of conditions from Boiler-plate to 35cm of fresh. The ski is AWESOME! If you were a fan of the V-Werks Katana, then the K108 will blow your mind. Easily the most stable ski I have ever been on. Also, very versatile... I will be selling my M5, as I have no need for it anymore. This ski will become my daily driver with a Volkl Two in the closet for big POW days (and a Kuro for Cat skiing). This ski just simplified my quiver.

As far as GoldenBC's suggestion that this is just a fat carving ski... The ski can carve, but it's hardly just a fat carving ski. This thing rips huge GS turns in any snow condition but can also adjust to small radius turns if need be. That is the great thing about the 3D radius.

For some insight... I am 200Ibs 5'-9" tall. I am 45 years old and ski +/-45 days per season. I have been skiing for 41 years in the Rocky Mountains. I have a place at Fernie, so that is my home hill. I ski very aggressively and prefer BIG terrain. Until I bought the K108, my daily driver was a 184 Katana V-Werks with a 184 Mantra M5 for hardpack days and a Volkl Two 186 for resort powder days.
    Thanks for sharing. Your report makes me happy and I really want to try the new K108!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see S. Drake and his Kangol pop up...
    This

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    it lists the XT3 140 being a PU/Gril combo in the lower cog vs. PU/PU of the XT3 130. What's the advantage of the Grilamid in this case, extra stiffness at the same weight? Wasn't Lange trying to extol the virtues of the new XT3 going back to the PU ways for a better ski feel?
    Interesting. I would agree with your assessment that the use of grilamid is for more stiffness at the same weight, and it's use is at odds with the Blister podcast where the Lange designer explained the use of PU in the XT3.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Does Thor Verdonk-a-donk post here?
    Aggressive in my own mind