Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Well, let's just all go ahead and say that this marketing debut for the new Katana is falling flat on its face. Unless, that was the intention-- to get the buzz out before the delivery of an actual pic.

The 2020 Mantra 102 is absurd. You can feel the metal, it's stable, it's easy on the flats. It surfs. It carves. It releases at speed. The 2mm of camber is super subtle. It's the most versatile ski of my life. If the Katana 108 build is the same architecture, you guys are going to vomit all over yourselves. You should probably just shut up and order it now. That's a west coast do-it-all rig.

For JP, I'll stick to my Mantra 102 & Renegade.

^^ this is what I was afraid of. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    I think claimed weight is 1950ish grams in the 18x length, so moderately light but hevier than the 108 for sure.
    Thanks!

Anyone have a link to the 2020/21 Kaestle Catalogue? Their Instagram story says the MX98 is sort of back but a “whole new ski?” I’m wondering if they went back to the last gen of MX98 or what’s new with it? Also lengths, does it max out at 184 cm? Or do they have a 194?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Well, let's just all go ahead and say that this marketing debut for the new Katana is falling flat on its face. Unless, that was the intention-- to get the buzz out before the delivery of an actual pic.

The 2020 Mantra 102 is absurd. You can feel the metal, it's stable, it's easy on the flats. It surfs. It carves. It releases at speed. The 2mm of camber is super subtle. It's the most versatile ski of my life. If the Katana 108 build is the same architecture, you guys are going to vomit all over yourselves. You should probably just shut up and order it now. That's a west coast do-it-all rig.

What size Mantra 102 are you on?
    I got me now a 184 which would be my shortest ski. I’m a little afraid 184 could be to short for my liking. Gonna ski the Mantra on the weekend but am really torn btw those and next year Bonafide in 189.

Gaijin is on the 184 I think.

I skied the 184 for a day last week. Agree with everything Gaijin said, although I dont think they feel super long and would probably like the 191 more.

Cant you rent them or demo and see if you like them in the 184?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

this is what we are hearing from customers too, funny thing is if the M5 sold itself by the dozen the 102 is arguably better and it is a pretty slow seller...
    also whoever is in charge of Volkl graphics should be fired....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Not trying to single you out, just want to completely dispel this myth for anyone who is reading:

Bindings springs are intended to be tested regularly so that the release values can be calibrated, meaning adjusted to fall within a certain range of torque to ensure the binding continues to release properly in spite of metal fatigue, boot wear, etc. If you ski at an 11 and one of your toes, for example, is testing high, the DIN setting can be adjusted, in increments of 0.5, to calibrate the spring and bring the release values within range, up to +/- 2.0 DIN. In an older binding it’s not entirely uncommon for one or more components to be readjusted by ~1/2 DIN, provided people are testing their skis annually. If the binding does not test out after being adjusted and retested, the technician is directed to fail the binding and can no longer work on it. In our modern age, engineering tolerances and manufacturing processes are tight enough that by the time a binding requires significant adjustment, it’s usually no longer indemnified. But an 11 is an 11 regardless of where it lies on your visual indicator scale. Period. Whether it is at the top or the bottom of the scale. THE ONLY REASON TO AVOID SETTING YOUR BINDINGS AT EITHER END OF THE SCALE IS TO ALLOW FOR CALIBRATION OF THE SPRING, meaning if you’re not within 2 DIN of either end, it simply does not matter. At all. So in your particular instance, you gain absolutely nothing by going to the 15. There is no sweet spot.

Again, not trying to be a dick, just trying to quash rumors.
    As the biggest dick I know, you didn’t sound like a dick to me. Purely educational. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2020-2021 Gear Rumors / Pictures etc

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

I skied the 184 for a day last week. Agree with everything Gaijin said, although I dont think they feel super long and would probably like the 191 more.

Nope, no way for testing here. For some to me unknown reason no shop has them. Just Mantras M5 all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Doesn’t have XT3 in there? Huh?

Any links to the Volkl catalogue? Would like stats on the Katana 108 and whatever their new freeridey 105-110ish ski is... and I guess no Gotama for 20/21 then.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Doesn’t have XT3 in there? Huh?
    Haha, that's still a 19/20 catalogue...says so right on the cover.

Found some pics of the Black Crows Justis 100mm ski:

Attachment 312726

Attachment 312727

Attachment 312728

And here's a description in French:

Testé uniquement sur pistes, neige douce ou béton (artificielle bien lustrée), les remontées ont fermé juste sous notre nez pour aller faire la rotation poudre qui va bien.
    Léger cambre sous le pied, rien a voir avec un Corvus, et gros talon qui sert pas à grand chose (là, j'ai pas trop compris le concept, très tendu aurait été bien mieux). Avec le cambre, ça filtre mieux qu'un corvus, mais sans doute moins de pivot en poudre, à valider dans ces conditions.

Super feeling très alpin, ça taille vraiment fort, y compris en visant bien le bleu-glace. On sent que l'appui est bien réparti sur toute la longueur de carre, quasi comme avec un GS, la largeur mise à part.

Aucune idée du poids, mais lourd comme un ski en bois avec 2 plaques de titanal (même si elles ne font pas toute la longueur/largeur).

Aucun intérêt à monter en LT, à mon sens, sauf à vouloir optimiser sa VO2max de manière péremptoire...
    All found here: https://www.skipass.com/forums/sport...7373-9400.html

So it sounds and looks like it's supposed to be in the same vein as the enforcer or the cochise - a metal-filled charger ski

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Haha, that's still a 19/20 catalogue...says so right on the cover.
    hehe - wopsy, my bad. Didn't check the actual catalogue all that closely - took the heading at face value. Oh well.

You probably saw this thing right?

yeah - it kinda sucks, but it gives a bit of insight at least.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 01-28-2020 at 02:54 PM.

I don't have much of a hard on for Rossignol but why is there no chatter on the 112 Squad? (I don't know what it will be called...Blackops Squad?)

I don't have much of a hard on for Rossignol but why is there no chatter on the 112 Squad? (I don't know what it will be called...Blackops Squad?)
    What ski? Theres a new blackops Sender 107 TI?

What ski? Theres a new blackops Sender 107 TI?
    Supposedly there is still a 112 waist Squad ski to come out...I could be wrong? (Now that I see the 107 Ti comes 194 and 24m radius, seems odd that another 5mm wider ski would come out)

Supposedly there is still a 112 waist Squad ski to come out...I could be wrong? (Now that I see the 107 Ti comes 194 and 24m radius, seems odd that another 5mm wider ski would come out)

I dunno, I think the jump from ~105mm underfoot skis to ones ~115mm underfoot is the more noticeable than any other, in terms of feeling the width of the ski underfoot. I've never been on a 112+ underfoot ski that I would consider quick edge to edge except the Wailer 112 and RPC in the Pure3 construction. However, there are literally dozens of 105mm underfoot skis that are legitimately quick edge to edge.

I could see a quiver consisting of 95mm, 105-108mm and 112-116mm underfoot skis covering all your bases with very little overlap.

For da hipsters!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	192273.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	312753

Yes, the 184.

I also don't think they feel super long. I don't need more length, but I also wouldn't be intimidated stepping into a 191. The 184 is my shortest (all others are coincidentally 186) but it's the most stable and simple ski ever.

As a friend pointed out to me in another discussion last season about size choice: "By sizing down for this kind of ski, all you're going to do is gain maneuverability. You're not going to lose that much on the top end of a ski that has no speed limit."

I'm 5'8" 170. FWIW.

You will like the 191

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nahh, you seem to be right!

Chopped and google translated from Le Dauphine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackops.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	312835

It's an event! In the Rossignol ski offer, we have been used to the black and colorized silhouettes of the 7 series for eight years, including the spearhead, the Soul 7, which has been widely sold and rewarded by the specialized press. After playing the accessibility card off the piste, Rossignol intends to offer more exclusive skis or at least more performance-oriented.

The range of Series 7 therefore gives way to the range "Blackops" which immediately gives in the paramilitary register. More presence in tail, more powerful mechanics, the shapes are all reviewed. Each model has its own personality where the 7 Series was consistent from one model to another in terms of behavior. And unlike the previous range, the technologies are not available on all models, each product has its own construction and technologies.

The Blackops men's range consists of the following models:
    - Mountaineering: 88 mm under the foot (14 to 21 m radius depending on the size), it is the replacement for the slightly lighter Seek 7 Tour (1,250 kg / ski) with a paulownia / injection and fibers core.
    - Escaper: 94 mm under the foot (12 to 22 m radius depending on size), a little equivalent to the Sky 7, easy and versatile for an all mountain program with paulownia core and diagonal fibers.
    - Sender: 104 mm underfoot (13 to 21 m radius depending on size), this is the "new Soul 7", a versatile and accessible freeride ski with paulownia core, air tip technology in spatula and diagonal fibers.
    - Sender TI: 106 mm underfoot (18 to 24 m radius depending on size), a model for good skiers with poplar core and titanal reinforcements.
    - Sender Squad: 112 mm under the foot, it is the pro model for strong skiers with poplar core and titanal throughout the length.
    - Holyshred: 98 mm at the waist (14 to 22 m radius depending on the size) and double rocker for a freestyle backcountry program with poplar core and diagonal fibers.
    - Gamer: 118 mm under the foot (20-22 m radius) for a backcountry program with poplar core and diagonal fibers.

For da hipsters!
    I am kinda interested in learning more about the changes to the Anima, as mentioned in Evo's write up. Most Mags + Blister seem to rate it at a solid meh (while people seem to really get on with the Atris). It will be interesting to see if the changes makes the ski better / more universially liked. Considering it is BC athletes FWT go to ski, the changes still took me a bit by surprise - though mr Turdell can prob ski just about anything and make it look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo
    The 2021 Black Crows Anima gets some updates as well, with less rocker splay, more camber, and a shorter turn radius. These tweaks separate it out from the more long and stable skis in the line, giving it a great playful feel.

Lotsa pictures from the ISPO, right at the bottom in the „Fotogalerie“ section. Good picture of the new Katana is there as well.

https://www.powderguide.com/magazin/...-2020-ski.html

I'll back previous requests that the Volkl Graphic Artists be fired. But perhaps it's the same artist as K2. They should be fired, too. Why do the freestyle lines get attention but the real skis don't?

Dynastar is like: "I see a red door and I want it painted black."

Head is like: "Let's just bold print our name in caps across everything."

Blizzard looks like a painter's pallet. Choose your genre! Orange, Blue, Electric green! That means who you are!

Why are these sick engineering marvels dismissing art?

Give me something to hang on the wall! (Oh, sorry-- all the indies are already doing that, and they're making a product that serves distinct niches better than the vague general population that you are chasing.)
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-29-2020 at 05:26 AM.