Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I personally dislike busy graphics, and think it's refreshing to see such simplicity from a number of brands. I'm a big fan of solid colored topsheets. The simpler the better. My indie skis are naked wood veneer (no graphic) with solid black bases. If I want to see some cool drawings I'll go grab a comic book, not head over to the local ski shop.

Passive graphics not in danger of alienating anyone for the olds, take a little more risk on the ones you’re gonna market to gen Z.

Graphics don’t sell skis but they can stop a sale in its tracks.

I personally like subtle simple black topsheets like the new dynastar m-pro, or the veneer first year pescado, etc. I don't want loud skis.

I personally dont give a shit about graphics. If anything, I'd rather have them plain and simple, so my ski is a bit cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I am kinda interested in learning more about the changes to the Anima, as mentioned in Evo's write up. Most Mags + Blister seem to rate it at a solid meh (while people seem to really get on with the Atris). It will be interesting to see if the changes makes the ski better / more universially liked. Considering it is BC athletes FWT go to ski, the changes still took me a bit by surprise - though mr Turdell can prob ski just about anything and make it look amazing.
    The Anima is interesting. I have the freebird version and for touring they are awesome. But others have said the regular version is extremely different despite the same shape due to the flex pattern. SierraSkier owns both and I think was a bit surprised just how different they skied.

Black Crows makes some good skis but they definitely are different from model to model with less of a collective identity, more so than most brands, I think. Which is fine, just less predictable. The Noctas are amazing powder skis. The Atris are pretty good all around skis (although I sold mine because I preferred the Moment Wildcat 108's). I didn't click with the Navis Freebirds at all. But I really like the Orbs for groomer days and they do surprisingly well off piste in poor conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The Anima is interesting. I have the freebird version and for touring they are awesome. But others have said the regular version is extremely different despite the same shape due to the flex pattern. SierraSkier owns both and I think was a bit surprised just how different they skied.

Black Crows makes some good skis but they definitely are different from model to model with less of a collective identity, more so than most brands, I think. Which is fine, just less predictable. The Noctas are amazing powder skis. The Atris are pretty good all around skis (although I sold mine because I preferred the Moment Wildcat 108's). I didn't click with the Navis Freebirds at all. But I really like the Orbs for groomer days and they do surprisingly well off piste in poor conditions.
    I'm interested in Justis (Armada ARV Ti reference?) and Corvus Freebird (reverse camber?). Considering a playful twin-tipped charger and a reliable mid-fat touring ski for a 2-ski quiver for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Nahh, you seem to be right!

- Sender Squad: 112 mm under the foot, it is the pro model for strong skiers with poplar core and titanal throughout the length.
    Huh, thats sounds pretty cool, I wonder why it isnt in the catalog? Would be fun to try that and the sender 107 TI in a 194. They really nailed it with the blackops 118, but it just skis so damn short in the 186(measures more like 183).

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Huh, thats sounds pretty cool, I wonder why it isnt in the catalog? Would be fun to try that and the sender 107 TI in a 194. They really nailed it with the blackops 118, but it just skis so damn short in the 186(measures more like 183).
    I’m right behind you here. The 194 cm Sender 106TI is the most interesting ski for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Lotsa pictures from the ISPO, right at the bottom in the „Fotogalerie“ section. Good picture of the new Katana is there as well.

https://www.powderguide.com/magazin/...-2020-ski.html
    Thanks for sharing! That was an awesome find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070452.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	896.8 KB 
ID:	312858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDV_2021_Voelkl_Katana_108__c_Marker_Dalbello_Voelkl.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	312859
    Call me crazy, but I think the Mantras (third ski from the right) look pretty awesome. They probably pop nicely on snow. The new V Werks graphics probably takes a bit of getting used to though - they are a bit more busy than this year's.

Pollard's ski usually look good, but even by his standards these are particularly pleasing imho
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070465.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	1,001.8 KB 
ID:	312860

Thanks again roQer

Beautiful those Sakana and Pescado.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m right behind you here. The 194 cm Sender 106TI is the most interesting ski for me so far.

That ski is def interesting, but the new Volkl 191 Katana will def be in my quiver next year... To this day the only ski I got rid and still cannot figure out why is my old 191 Katana which is still on of my all time favorite skis...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Beautiful those Sakana and Pescado.
    Not going to lie - 98% of my skis in my quiver are 189+ chargers and bought the 181 Sakana this year and absolutely love it... I was spring skiing in Oregon last year and a dude I rode up on the chair with had a pair... I was on my 189 108 Wrens and he wanted to try them and we switched skis... We made several laps together and it had been a long time that I had been on such a fun ski... It laid trenches in the spring cream cheese we were skiing and I was grinning ear to ear... The Sakana does not have the halls that most of my skis do, but held its own and I did not want to give them up... I called my local shop the next day and the skis were ordered...

That and the M Free 108 have me intrigued for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    That ski is def interesting, but the new Volkl 191 Katana will def be in my quiver next year... To this day the only ski I got rid and still cannot figure out why is my old 191 Katana which is still on of my all time favorite skis...

Do we know if the new Katanans have camber or not yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Do we know if the new Katanans have camber or not yet?

Friend at OR who fondled them today said the shape looks super similar to the Mantra M102, which would imply a little camber, but I didn't ask about that specifically.

They should've just called it Mantra108 for consistency, but then all of us wouldn't have jumped on it as we are doing now.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

I got to canoodle the 186 a few weeks ago, but no ski time. Told my rep it was the first Rossi I’ve been excited about since 2010, and he promised if you hate the soul 7, you’ll love this ski.

There’s been a bunch of patrollers in the I-70 corridor ripping around on these this year, testing durability on their new topsheet material. I think the best thing about them is they beefed up the longer lengths (Ti version), adding metal and keeping the sidecut from getting too short, so people who have a need for a 194 get a little more heft to go with the length.

Toss up for me: 194 Sender Ti, 191 Katana 108, or 192 M Pro? Sure do miss my OG legend 105’s, so...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Graphics don’t sell skis but they can stop a sale in its tracks.
    Absolutely, have never once considered buying a Moment ski simply because of the garish vomit-on-a-ski graphics. Seems like they've toned it down the last few years though, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

^^^^yes..I still have my 191 and is my DD, but this new one is a “have to get” ski....excited to see proform price next fall...lol

For you K108 anticipators, the M102 has about 1-2mm of camber per ski, with very subtle tip/tail rocker. It's a great mix in how it flexes. The camber disappears instantly while flexed, and the stiffness kicks in the moment the ski is flexed... or placed flat. It skis like a reverse camber ski in soft snow, yet still has that extra touch to the snow when unweighted.

You reverse-camber die-hard fans need not worry. This flex & camber profile is 99% as loose as a full reverse camber and stiff ski. But then it adds this element of retraction for firm snow. They fucking nailed it. They kept the looseness in pivots while maintaining the grip on those steep icy entrances or firm environments where you need to shut it down and are praying for some contact along the edge.

It's like a sponge met a plank. Or, maybe we wrapped a plank in a sponge. The shape/flex replies to everything. And it feels/sounds like metal.

The Katana 108 is going to destroy the resort quiver. I suspect the 2021 Dynastar M-Pro 105 is still our beloved comp ski, though. Simply due to the Dynastar bloodline and the longer radius and flatter tail.

Two skis. One favors groomers, one favors comp exits. Both share the same medium range of everyday ripping.

Somebody needs to ski these two back to back in NZ this July/August.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-30-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Absolutely, have never once considered buying a Moment ski simply because of the garish vomit-on-a-ski graphics. Seems like they've toned it down the last few years though, fortunately.
    Funny how that works. They've done some of my absolute favorites over the years (and some others that I don't care for).

I can certainly see how they'd be polarizing though. Playing it safer would seem to make sense for the bigger brands.

New Faction skis

anybody seen any of next years stuff from faction?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Funny how that works. They've done some of my absolute favorites over the years (and some others that I don't care for).

I can certainly see how they'd be polarizing though. Playing it safer would seem to make sense for the bigger brands.
    Local shop got a shipment of 20/21 M5's yesterday and the topsheets are pretty conservative yet pretty tasty to my eye. Will climb on the Katana next Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    anybody seen any of next years stuff from faction?
    Candide

Dictator

Prodigy
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

thanks