Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 503
  1. #476
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    224
    Skied a Line Blade yesterday, unbelievable ski...

  2. #477
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Skied a Line Blade yesterday, unbelievable ski...
    Mind elaborating?

  3. #478
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Yep, what you said. Two very similar skiers can have very different experiences on the same ski in the same conditions. It's like me with most Atomic skis (e.g. Vantage 97's, Backland 107, etc), I've tried a lot of them and there is not one of them that I would like to own. But my shop owner buddy, who is roughly my size and a good skier, prefers them to just about anything else. Fortunately, we have options to suit us all. About the only way reviews are of use is if you find a reviewer who consistently likes the same gear as you. For instance, Blister of the last couple years. With Luke and Sam, both jibby jr. petite's, doing most of the reviewing it has become mostly meaningless for me. (not totally sure what jibby means so I hope I used the term correctly) But Paul Forward on the other hand, pretty much lines up nearly exactly with my preferences. And some attributes (e.g. the noise a ski makes) are more important to some than others. Again, we got options.
    I usually skim Luke and Sams review comments and right to Jonathan or Paulís comments. They line up better with the skis I like usually.

    Sound, as well as feel, are super important. One of the reasons I havenít gotten along with ON3Ps is the sound they make. I really like a quieter ski, and funny pinging noises come from the ski it throws me off. I noticed a bit of weird noise coming from the Pon2oons when skiing end of a pow day groomers and settled pow when getting to the next stash, but not when in deep pow so itís alright, cause I they are specialized tools.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #479
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You're forgetting the recall for faulty toe pins.
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/ma...to-fall-hazard

    Oh I was talking about the problem with the Tecton's not all the ones with the Kingpins
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  5. #480
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Skied a Line Blade yesterday, unbelievable ski...
    Most interesting looking ski in quite sometime, a fat slalom ski. Gotta give us a little more info please!

  6. #481
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    That is not the least compelling argument for teleing I've heard, but it still completely fails to move the needle.

    Per conflicting Katana 108 quick reviews: I don't think I'm the only one here who feels these are essentially useless without direct comparisons to comparable skis. People ski different; at least if I know you like X ski for this reason but didn't like Y for that reason, I can make an inference. Old ass bike references aren't exceptionally helpful, but I get what you're saying about noise.
    Skied the new Katana. My biggest takeaway is it is a very turny ski. Feel like it has a 16m turn radius despite what the specs say. Doesn't like to be let loose and run, wants to be worked and turned constantly, and across the fall line. That being said, it does turn well. It is soft and damp and holds and edge through chop. It is heavy. It is energetic. It is loud as hell. Like a carbon dps, but a few notes lower. Like riding a Norco VPS loud. I think the skis I skied could be more detuned, so I will reasses after I do that.

    I regularly ski the Corvus in the same length. The Corvus is definitely a dead feeling ski but I want that in a freeride ski. Yes, when doing tight turns on flat groomers, it feels boring and dead but do Super G turns down a 30 degree groomer or charge fans in chop and I don't want a spring loaded ski. The Corvus has a much longer (and longer feeling) turn radius than the Katana. It is much more comfortable letting it run and doesn't feel like it needs to be on edge and finishing it's turns all the time. The Corvus flexes stiffer and feels stiffer.

    I wouldn't buy the Katana. They have made it a fat carving ski.

    FYI: 5'6" 155lbs. Skied the 184 Katana with no detune. I regularly ski the 183 Corvus with no detune, although at this point it has done it itself. I loved the 190 Corvus as well but didn't want a touring ski in that length. Would be curious about the 191 Katana

  7. #482
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    9

    2021 Volkl Katana K108

    Looks like the Volkl Katana K108 is going to have a limited early launch in March. I was lucky enough to get a pair already. I have put 5 days on the Katanas already at Fernie. I have skied them in all sorts of conditions from Boiler-plate to 35cm of fresh. The ski is AWESOME! If you were a fan of the V-Werks Katana, then the K108 will blow your mind. Easily the most stable ski I have ever been on. Also, very versatile... I will be selling my M5, as I have no need for it anymore. This ski will become my daily driver with a Volkl Two in the closet for big POW days (and a Kuro for Cat skiing). This ski just simplified my quiver.

    As far as GoldenBC's suggestion that this is just a fat carving ski... The ski can carve, but it's hardly just a fat carving ski. This thing rips huge GS turns in any snow condition but can also adjust to small radius turns if need be. That is the great thing about the 3D radius.

    For some insight... I am 200Ibs 5'-9" tall. I am 45 years old and ski +/-45 days per season. I have been skiing for 41 years in the Rocky Mountains. I have a place at Fernie, so that is my home hill. I ski very aggressively and prefer BIG terrain. Until I bought the K108, my daily driver was a 184 Katana V-Werks with a 184 Mantra M5 for hardpack days and a Volkl Two 186 for resort powder days.
    Last edited by SnowCreekChad; 02-20-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added information

  8. #483
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,523
    ^ I would like to also be sponsored by Volkl, please pass along my info.

  9. #484
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,605
    Here is the correct Lange 20/21 catalogue. Nothing exciting but of note, it lists the XT3 140 being a PU/Gril combo in the lower cog vs. PU/PU of the XT3 130. What's the advantage of the Grilamid in this case, extra stiffness at the same weight? Wasn't Lange trying to extol the virtues of the new XT3 going back to the PU ways for a better ski feel?

    Lange 2021
    DPS 2021
    Scott 2021
    Armada 2021

  10. #485
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    772
    This photo and the DPS catalog is hilarious. 4 product lines and 4 different builds that all have unique, totally meaningless names, and a shit ton of skis all within a few mm's waist widths of each other. Someone over there must get off on confusing customers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.51.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	316715
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-20-2020 at 03:39 PM.

  11. #486
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,084
    there was a hostile takeover over there at DPS so none of the original crew is there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #487
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    772
    I know. It's all the more reason to rip on their product line

  13. #488
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    311
    I keep thinking K108 is the Kartel 108. Thank goodness ON3P reverted back to the Jeffreys so we can keep the K108 and J108 clear.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

  14. #489
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This photo and the DPS catalog is hilarious. 4 product lines and 4 different builds that all have unique, totally meaningless names, and a shit ton of skis all within a few mm's waist widths of each other. Someone over there must get off on confusing customers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.51.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	316715
    This is such a disappointing lineup. Not only is it needlessly confusing (with a metric fuckton of overlap), but now the widest skis in the DPS line are 112 underfoot. Whatever happened to their Lotus 120 and above skis? Sad to see the company head in this direction.

  15. #490
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    This is such a disappointing lineup. Not only is it needlessly confusing (with a metric fuckton of overlap), but now the widest skis in the DPS line are 112 underfoot. Whatever happened to their Lotus 120 and above skis? Sad to see the company head in this direction.
    you may have to squint. there is a Lotus 124 and Koala 119 listed.

  16. #491
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,084
    the manufacturing manager told me had had some forms marked Lotus 120 but he had no idea what the ski was, I told him it was a cult classic so build it and they will come but I doubt we will see the lotus 120 again

    I read it was a hostile takeover by a god head so expect to see little crosses in the graphics
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #492
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Vil
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Most interesting looking ski in quite sometime, a fat slalom ski. Gotta give us a little more info please!
    It's a fat slalom ski! The redic tip shape has amazing turn in but with the metal skeleton layup it is super stable. Think a quicker amd more stable sakana. I dont think I'd want it as a daily since the turn radius is so short but it would be a fun set to add to the quiver for sure.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

  18. #493
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Church of the Nifty Blue Chrysler
    Posts
    5,151
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This photo and the DPS catalog is hilarious. 4 product lines and 4 different builds that all have unique, totally meaningless names, and a shit ton of skis all within a few mm's waist widths of each other. Someone over there must get off on confusing customers.
    Sad to see the direction that brand went in. They used to build some groundbreaking skis.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

  19. #494
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    16,245
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    This is such a disappointing lineup. Not only is it needlessly confusing (with a metric fuckton of overlap), but now the widest skis in the DPS line are 112 underfoot. Whatever happened to their Lotus 120 and above skis? Sad to see the company head in this direction.
    Agreed. Management has killed that brand.

    They used to have such good skis. Now, a bunch of bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  20. #495
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,084
    I was recently talking to ski store guy who told me " You know all those guys we sold DPS to, we are now going to sell them Voile's "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #496
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Sad to see the direction that brand went in. They used to build some groundbreaking skis.
    I wouldnít be surprised to see S. Drake and his Kangol pop up with a new innovative brand sometime soon. The original DPS crew proved their worth and with the likes of Renoun and WNDR pushing innovation, thereís still lots of latitude in the market


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #497
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ I would like to also be sponsored by Volkl, please pass along my info.
    Laughed

  23. #498
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCreekChad View Post
    Looks like the Volkl Katana K108 is going to have a limited early launch in March. I was lucky enough to get a pair already. I have put 5 days on the Katanas already at Fernie. I have skied them in all sorts of conditions from Boiler-plate to 35cm of fresh. The ski is AWESOME! If you were a fan of the V-Werks Katana, then the K108 will blow your mind. Easily the most stable ski I have ever been on. Also, very versatile... I will be selling my M5, as I have no need for it anymore. This ski will become my daily driver with a Volkl Two in the closet for big POW days (and a Kuro for Cat skiing). This ski just simplified my quiver.

    As far as GoldenBC's suggestion that this is just a fat carving ski... The ski can carve, but it's hardly just a fat carving ski. This thing rips huge GS turns in any snow condition but can also adjust to small radius turns if need be. That is the great thing about the 3D radius.

    For some insight... I am 200Ibs 5'-9" tall. I am 45 years old and ski +/-45 days per season. I have been skiing for 41 years in the Rocky Mountains. I have a place at Fernie, so that is my home hill. I ski very aggressively and prefer BIG terrain. Until I bought the K108, my daily driver was a 184 Katana V-Werks with a 184 Mantra M5 for hardpack days and a Volkl Two 186 for resort powder days.
    Thanks for sharing. Your report makes me happy and I really want to try the new K108!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  24. #499
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a parallel universe
    Posts
    4,724
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I wouldnít be surprised to see S. Drake and his Kangol pop up...
    This

  25. #500
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    it lists the XT3 140 being a PU/Gril combo in the lower cog vs. PU/PU of the XT3 130. What's the advantage of the Grilamid in this case, extra stiffness at the same weight? Wasn't Lange trying to extol the virtues of the new XT3 going back to the PU ways for a better ski feel?
    Interesting. I would agree with your assessment that the use of grilamid is for more stiffness at the same weight, and it's use is at odds with the Blister podcast where the Lange designer explained the use of PU in the XT3.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •