Iceland in Sept?

Got a mixed group of adults and kids going to Iceland for a week in mid September. Still in the planning stages, despite only being a few weeks from hopping on the plane. Looking for any recs that you feel particularly strongly about for places to stay or things to do.

Or, to put it more succinctly, what was your favorite part of Iceland, if you had to pick one, and why?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

My recommendation is to get out of Reykjavik. Spend a night there at one end of the trip otherwise get out away from the city. Doesn't really matter where. Everything is spectacular.

Iceland in Sept?

We swam in every city pool/thermal bath/sundlagen we could find. I really liked the old Art Deco style one in Reykjavik and the infinity pool in Hofsos. There’s a huge swimming/sports complex near the Reykjavik hostel with slides and multiple pools that might suit the kids best. Be prepared to take a nude shower prior to entering the pool, it’s not optional.

The NW part of the island was the highlight for me. We didn’t go to the west fjords but the Troll peninsula was stunning.

We went whale watching out of Husavik on a restored whaling vessel. Saw several whales and puffins. It was sweet.

I also really enjoyed the geothermal power plant just outside of Rejkyavik, but I’m a nerd like that.

If I go back again, I’ll either rent a 4x4, bike pack or just backpack through the high country.

Yeah a full day in Reykjavik is probably enough, or maybe one at each end with kids so you don't have to rush. Hopefully in Sept crowds have thinned out a bit at popular sights and the weather doesn't suck. Lots to do and see within a couple hours driveof town. Swimming in a hot creek was pretty cool but was a 2-3 mile hike in - not sure if this would be too far for kids. We did a MTB tour so much of the trip won't be relevant. But renting a 4x4 to drive around the interior a bit would be cool. Seems like some F roads have been improved enough passenger cars can access them now, but you'd need some good beta on that and would probably violate the rental agreement. I wished we'd had more time to drive all the way around the island. Next time. Blue lagoon was included in the cost of our tour, not sure I would have paid for it otherwise $$$. We had great weather so camping/cabins worked out well. Wouldn't have been very nice in rainy weather. I'd think about what you want to check out in that context as well, maybe have a list of options as some things might suck to visit in the rain.

I believe the Penis Museum is in Reykjavik if you're looking for something to do.

I just got back from Iceland last week on the tail end of my trip to Norway. We were supposed to have two nights there, but a canceled flight only gave us one. Still had time to head up to Thingvellir National Park on the first night, and then to Seljalandsfoss the next day. My plan was to take a full day to drive around the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, which I haven't been to before but Icelandair fucked that up for me.

Golden circle is touristy, but for a good reason. Several short walks that would be good for kids. TR from my trip below, if anything looks interesting, let me know. I also have a map with lots of details of places I thought looked interesting.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=iceland

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 1.16.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	429.7 KB 
ID:	290743

make sure to buy beer and sim cards in the airport at duty free.

To bad you are not going in November...
    They have one of the coolest music fests there:
    https://icelandairwaves.is/?gclid=Cj...4aAm02EALw_wcB

I went 10 years ago. After the fest I flew up to Aukeryeri, rented a 4x4 and drove around the east side back to Reykjavik.

I enjoyed The Blue Lagoon, fwiw. Wasn't super crowded when I was there (then again, Oct/Nov is kind of off-season).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Wherever this dude went.