La Grave beta - need a transfer from GVA to La Grave?

Hey Maggots,

I'm flying into GVA in March and need to find a relatively inexpensive transfer (bus, taxi, rickshaw ... ) from GVA to La Grave. I know it's better to fly into Grenoble, but Delta doesn't fly there and I'm using points.

Any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated!
    Who cares how the crow flies

this website is awesome https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Geneva-...t-GVA/La-Grave
    I learned about it from Buster- who I'm sure has more specific advice for you once he circles around
    we rented a car when we went to La Grave bc we were traveling around so no good advice- but get excited bc la grave is the best
    where are you staying?
    skid luxury

The bus can take you the last bit on the D1091 https://www.linkbus-alps.com/en/
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks - it looks like taking a mix of trains, buses and taxis is the only way to get there. I saw that Rome2Rio site and it looked sketchy but after checking it out in detail it's great!

Hmm, maybe renting a car is the way to go after all ...

not sure where I'm staying actually!

It really is very easy. The bus from the airport is about a 2min walk from where you clear customs. You take it to the main Geveva Train Station. That train goes to Grenoble. The bus to La Grave leaves about a 1min walk from the train station. It stops in front of The Castilan.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It really is very easy. The bus from the airport is about a 2min walk from where you clear customs. You take it to the main Geveva Train Station. That train goes to Grenoble. The bus to La Grave leaves about a 1min walk from the train station. It stops in front of The Castilan.
    Yup. Friends got to Lyon, and took the bus from there. They were the only 2 on it, and the bus waited for them.

As mentioned, there's a bus from the Grenoble Train Station to Briancon that stops in La Grave. It runs 2-3 times a day. It's the LER 35 (link below). The LinkBus that plugboots mentions is a tourist bus that only runs on the weekends during ski season and if I'm not mistaken either goes to Lyon St Exupery (which is the TGV station and airport on the outskirts of Lyon) or the Grenoble airport which is nowhere near Grenoble. Coming from Geneva you might check with Ben's Bus. I think that's who a friend of mine used but his experience was a little less than stellar considering that there was some miscommunication between the driver and the main office and he ended up having to hitch hike that last 15 km.

Coincidentally, I took both busses on my trip to La Grave last March...

https://www.info-ler.fr/465-Fiches-Horaires.html

Good points. I've always gotten a car, because: reasons, but if I was solo, I'd use the train/bus.

I rented a car, but the goal wasn't just to ski la grave.

Well the travel is art of the adventure! Thanks for the detailed information guys - much appreciated.

Well, you gave a nice specific question. Like the "which car should I buy?" threads where the poster has already decided on a car, but posts anyway.

Parking is EZ and free at La Grav. Plus if conditions are such that La Grav is a no go for the day, it can be nice to have a car so that you can ski elsewhere. If you are not skiing with a guide it could be usefull to have a car for shuttle laps too. I would drive again.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Train from airport to Gare Cornavin in Geneva. It's stupid easy.
    Change train to Grenoble.
    Make sure to get out at main Gare de Grenoble, not the University stop NE of Grenoble proper.

Rent a car at Grenoble train station. Google that, it's easy.

The guys who run 'taxi de la Meije' have gotten expensive. google that for options.

I opt for a car in order to deal with the blowdown days on La Meije. Drive to Monetier les Bains, highest station in Serre Chevalier. Tour out of the Col du Lauteret. Drive over to Montgenevre in the Milky way and hit the circuit laps over into Claviere. Or drive over to the Queyras….

Driving out of Grenoble, there's a weird 3 way split ramp; take the middle ramp to head towards Vizille and Bourg d'Oisans.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-18-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Good post! Thanks!

Good post! Thanks!