Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Land Rover gets you there.

Land Cruisers get you home.
    Shut your filthy whore mouth!

Naah, kidding. Landrovers can be tricky, have to admit...
    But, just back from the Balkans. 6 weeks, 14 countries, 11.000km and zero...ermm...well, some small niggles.
    Light switch melted on day two but managed to solder things back together and a bit hassle with worn out brake pads but carried spares so, no biggie.
    Saw some really nice Landcruisers on the trip, would take one in a heart beat if only the spares would be a bit cheaper around here.

Nevertheless, godspeed with your endeavours! You shop looks absolutely fantastic!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ee.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	292747

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Leavenworth Skier's Latest Automotive Folly - More Land Cruisers???

Jong question, but why do you guys prefer land cruisers so much over wranglers, etc.? Starting to research / look at an off road rig. Would not be a daily driver, mainly used for off roading, may want to be able to tow with it. Looking for something simple and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Jong question, but why do you guys prefer land cruisers so much over wranglers, etc.? Starting to research / look at an off road rig. Would not be a daily driver, mainly used for off roading, may want to be able to tow with it. Looking for something simple and reliable.
    Well you gotta lot of nerve coming in here asking that.

Someone here probably knows why and is going to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was a Jeep guy before a Cruiser guy. Just a few random thoughts:

Engineering:

Jeep: light duty mass market vehicle. Not designed for longevity.

Land Cruiser: low production number, heavy duty off road vehicle, engineered for 250k miles of 3rd world usage. Regularly see cruisers with 400k miles on the original drivetrain.

Axles:

Jeeps have light duty axles and are considered a weak point. They are regularly broken and for off roaring need to be upgraded. The ring gears generally are around 8” in size unless you got a Rubicon. The gearing is generally oriented towards highway driving.

Land Cruisers feature a 9.5” ring gear, heavy duty axle shafts, 1-ton truck size wheel bearings, full float (meaning the axle housing and hubs take the weight of the vehicle not the axle shafts, much stronger) and factory 4.11 gear ratio. They are built for heavy loads on rough terrain. Later models also feature a high pinion which helps with off road clearance. Many also have factory locking differentials, which just have become a thing on jeeps.

Engines:

Jeep had a great thing with the 258/4.2l/4.0 inline six. Probably one of the best things about jeeps. But Chrysler killed that motor in 2007. And the other motor options are all small high rev motors, not a great recipe for longevity. The v6 in the newer wranglers is not great unless you’re going new.

Toyota engineers the land cruiser motor for longevity. The land cruiser motors are often detuned to prevent wear and add live span. Older land cruisers feature an inline 6 gas motor, newer ones share the v8 in the Tundra, which is a great motor. There are also options for plug and play diesel conversions with Toyota motors from foreign market land cruisers which is pretty cool.

Plus wrangler owners are yahoos and Land Cruiser owners are intellectual and have distinguished taste.

Send me a PM and I’d be happy discuss over the phone more info on various years and what might meet your needs.

I think a fairer comparison to a Jeep would be a 4Runner. A land cruiser is basically a heavy duty truck with a small body and nimble suspension/turn radius

Y’all gonna convince Toyota to make a barebones 70-series to bring into the US, right?

A VDJ79 is my dream rig. Trying to figure out how to import a body to put on an 80 series chassis with a 1VD-ftv diesel

Plus wrangler owners are yahoos and Land Cruiser owners are intellectual and have distinguished taste.
    ahaha, love it

I think a fairer comparison to a Jeep would be a 4Runner
    With the Jeep still coming up short.

Yeah man, mini truck and 1st/2nd gen 4Runner are burly. Pretty much the same drivetrain as the Hilux, which survives in extreme environments all over. IFS fronts don't have the articulation of the solids but they handle way better in 95% of conditions... comfier as a general forest/mtn ride, IMO. Less absolute strength but the trucks are lighter so they last.

I recall seeing Hilux and Hilux Surf at 15000ft in the Andes, serving their roles as mine trucks, dented up and gnarly and happily bouncing around the big hills.

I loved my second gen. Wheeled it fairly hard alongside my dad's 60... the 4R was faster, more nimble, and easier to drive, and only got outclassed when crossed up with 2 wheels off the ground. Lockers make the 4R pretty kickass.

3.4 in the 3rd gens is a nice motor.

Less familiar with newer gen 4R but some options seem pretty legit.

Don't overlook them as capable little bros to the LandCruiser.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

Or the GX....

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yeah man, mini truck and 1st/2nd gen 4Runner are burly. Pretty much the same drivetrain as the Hilux, which survives in extreme environments all over. IFS fronts don't have the articulation of the solids but they handle way better in 95% of conditions... comfier as a general forest/mtn ride, IMO. Less absolute strength but the trucks are lighter so they last.

I recall seeing Hilux and Hilux Surf at 15000ft in the Andes, serving their roles as mine trucks, dented up and gnarly and happily bouncing around the big hills.

I loved my second gen. Wheeled it fairly hard alongside my dad's 60... the 4R was faster, more nimble, and easier to drive, and only got outclassed when crossed up with 2 wheels off the ground. Lockers make the 4R pretty kickass.

3.4 in the 3rd gens is a nice motor.

Less familiar with newer gen 4R but some options seem pretty legit.

Don't overlook them as capable little bros to the LandCruiser.
    Agreed. I had a rad 1st Gen and regret selling it to this day, especially with all the motor conversions possible these days. They were unbreakable but the 22RE was sloooooow. Putting a mini-cummins in one would be all time.

I had an 88 4Runner. It felt much more nimble (but much slower) that the tank (100-series). I remember having to coach a friend once who was driving it up sherwin grade because she kept wanting to shift above 3rd gear.

I had two gen 1s and a gen 3 which was my favorite, 3.4 with a 5sp manual, miss that rig.

3.4 is a direct bolt up on the older 3.0 trucks... pretty sweet swap.

We do work on 4runners/mini trucks too - doing a 3.4 swap in a 3rd gen pickup soon for a guy

Yep, 3.4 was so far superior to the 3.slow.

3.0 are ok if you address the exhaust design flaw and install headers to move heat out of the heads. The stock manifold is stupid... concentrates heat at the collector, so the famous head gasket blow is always right at cylinder 6.

I did the EGR delete and built an intake, too... it did pretty well for what it was, but I still always wanted a 3.4.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

My '94, daily driver for 5 years. 22E, slow but reliable. Been sitting unused for a few years, I'm just getting her going again.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    My '94, daily driver for 5 years. 22E, slow but reliable. Been sitting unused for a few years, I'm just getting her going again.

That’s a sweet truck buster! 5 speed?

That’s a sweet truck buster! 5 speed?
    Yup. 1994. Year we started building Le Chaqteau. Came in handy for construction.
    Have to do the recall on the steering.
    Was '94 the last year before the Tacoma?

What's the steering recall? I have a 2wd 92(?) sitting at my parent's house. Someone broke into both doors at various times in it's life and I need to replace the latches, and handles so it's possible to get out in a crash. There's other work it needs too, but it's a decent truck

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What's the steering recall? I have a 2wd 92(?) sitting at my parent's house. Someone broke into both doors at various times in it's life and I need to replace the latches, and handles so it's possible to get out in a crash. There's other work it needs too, but it's a decent truck
    https://repairpal.com/toyota-pickup-1994/recalls

Awesome looking shop.... my dream to have basically any version of a Land Crusher... I've owned a Supra Celica, FJ Cruiser, 4runner and now a Tundra so i'm a bit of a Toyota fan boy but they have all treated me well.

Had a 74 Hilux with a 5 speed. Valves got fried in the first 5k fixed on a recall.
    Good luck with your venture.

For dissing Jeeps. / Shits and giggles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeep.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	292910
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Saw this fj45 with a slide in headed south of Portland on 5 last Friday. Pretty rad setup. In amazing shape with a couple that had to be in their 80s driving. Wanted to ask them who did the resto on it!

Opinions on 2000 Lexus LX470 ? Just for cruising around town and some off road to get to lakes for fishing.