Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    cool
    do you happen to have a refurbed fj40 ready to go right now? i might be in the market for the right one
    pg 1 ?
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

Last year for 'Threads for Shreds' jacket trade in program!
    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

I have a decent FJ40 that is ripe for a restore. Maybe we could work out a deal where you buy mine, send to Woody, and have something baller for the spring.

^ what do you think i would be looking at total for both
    i know thats hard to put firm number on but ballpark
    whats that color or i guess that doesnt matter if you are doing restore job

www.freeridesystems.com

Sorry man, didnít mean to ghost. It depends on how far you want to take it. For a full frame off restoration weíre generally in it 1000 or more hours on the low end plus parts. We donít cut any corners and we donít sub our work out to South America shops (unlike some of these ďbuildersĒ). We do everything right the first time. We get other shops ďrestorationsĒ and fix them all the time for people. There is some shady work in the Cruiser business unfortunately.

To give you an idea of time and price weíd need to see detailed pictures or better yet do an in person inspection on Conundrumís FJ and then get an idea of your timeline and objectives of the build.

Send me a pm and letís figure out a time to talk if that sounds like something you want to explore further.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Sorry man, didn’t mean to ghost. It depends on how far you want to take it. For a full frame off restoration we’re generally in it 1000 or more hours on the low end plus parts. We don’t cut any corners and we don’t sub our work out to South America shops (unlike some of these “builders”). We do everything right the first time. We get other shops “restorations” and fix them all the time for people. There is some shady work in the Cruiser business unfortunately.

To give you an idea of time and price we’d need to see detailed pictures or better yet do an in person inspection on Conundrum’s FJ and then get an idea of your timeline and objectives of the build.

Send me a pm and let’s figure out a time to talk if that sounds like something you want to explore further.
    so is idaho $7.50 hr wage or still $7.25 hr....jk...so whats the labor rate per hour like? then i assume materials ...you guys doing all the upholstery ? etc

www.freeridesystems.com

Yeah we do everything.

Nope, way way way more than that, my techs are highly skilled and get paid accordingly so. $7.25 per hour labor would not net the results I think anyone would want.

Good luck, great project! I just coincidentally read this article in our local paper about a sort of similar company, i'm sure you'd enjoy a beer with Winslow if you come through these parts! https://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news...7a4f70e34.html
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

hey LVS.

I know it's a new, side project but get some more content on your web site. I'm sure it's on the list of things to do.

From a semi sort of know what he's talking about position it doesn't do much to help your business or people to find your business at the moment.

And again the very best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    hey LVS.

I know it's a new, side project but get some more content on your web site. I'm sure it's on the list of things to do.

From a semi sort of know what he's talking about position it doesn't do much to help your business or people to find your business at the moment.

And again the very best of luck.
    It absolutely is on the list. Working on it. Have a lot of content waiting to be published but it all takes time which I'm quite short on at the moment. First objective was to just get a website that was functional that I could build off of. I published the site a couple weeks ago, now working on filling it out. There will be a lot more up there in the next few weeks.

It absolutely is on the list. Working on it. Have a lot of content waiting to be published but it all takes time which I'm quite short on at the moment. First objective was to just get a website that was functional that I could build off of. I published the site a couple weeks ago, now working on filling it out. There will be a lot more up there in the next few weeks.
    Totally get it. Knew you'd be on it. What you have so far looks really good and a nice base to build on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    My 100 series needs new door lock actuators. Supposedly the motors can be found and sourced. You could sell 4 packs of those motors with an instruction set for replacing the motors only, instead of the whole actuator.

sent from Utah.
    This^^

Sounds like a kickass opportunity and place for you to ratchet up then take to the next level LVS. Best of luck - will visit

Leavenworth Skier's Latest Automotive Folly - More Land Cruisers???

Pumped for you LWS! Sounds like a pretty great great niche and right up your alley. Cool story to boot.

Like shroom, keep me in mind if you see any good gx470 / lx470 / 100s roll through.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    oh ma gerd I love that color too- congrats!
    skid luxury

What a cool passion progression, I hope you post your projects here as they start rolling in. Cheers to your success!

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I kneeeeeeeewwwwwww so purdy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I have a decent FJ40 that is ripe for a restore. Maybe we could work out a deal where you buy mine, send to Woody, and have something baller for the spring.
    Easy, guy. Just settle down.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

60 series are honestly the best value in the Cruiser world right now
    Really? Man that's music to my ears. Dream rig is and always has been a 85+ manual 60, in desert beige. Basically this:

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto...952556148.html

Prior to your comment I was thinking 100s were the sweet spot. Lots of luxury available for $10K it seems.

100s and lx470 still have room to go down. The electronic systems start to fail as do the transmissions on the 1998 to 2002. Someone needs to figure out an LS swap kit for the early 100 series... drop the anemic 4.7 and bump up to a 6.2 with a 6 speed.

I think 80s have hit bottom but I donít except them to start really climbing in value for a while.

Clean 60s are gonna get stupid expensive in the next few years, just watch.

We do prepurchase inspections in case anyone wants some extra reassurance that their buying a good truck not a bad one.

That 60 is nice and I think the price is actually really good for what it is. Seems well maintained. Do a 5 speed conversion and one of our plug and play fuel injection kits (coming soon for the 60) and youíve got a killer truck.

^Yup when the $$ are available that's my plan, a 60 with a 5 speed and EFI. It might be a while though

Trying to get caught up on the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Congrats, that's awesome.

One of my brothers had an FJ 40. Another brother, third gen 4runner. And me, four different hilux/4x4/tacomas.

Lots of Toyota love in my family.
    Thank you! Yeah I was a Jeep guy until I saw the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Dood! I'm stoked for you!!!

I'll have to stop in and check the shop out when I'm in town later this year.
    Yeah and replace those clapped shocks and springs. Should have our ARB/OME dealership setup soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    My FZJ 80 needs new paint badly. How long to repaint one of these bitches?
    Depends - are we sticking with the same color? or are we changing color? How much body work needs to be done? What quality paint job, is this a trail paint job or a factory new glass-out paint job? Maybe shoot me a PM and we can take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    I have a 96 with the all locking diffs that after my daughter drives it for a while I either may send to you or see it you are interested. 177k miles as of now. Red.
    Those are great. We are developing a kit that will let us swap in Chevy LS V8 & GM trans pretty inexpensively. Your truck might be a good candidate.

This is awesome- congrats!
    for such a mellow guy, you have tons of energy to take on this new endeavor. but I don't doubt you will love it

my grandpa had one of the 70's style Land Cruisers.
    He added a horn that made that AAHHOOOGGGAA sounds
    It was also amazing bc it was red
    I bet it was pretty fast with that red paint.

I have mellow energy, call it the slow burn.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Damn! Congrats. I still call myself a Ford guy but with one Ford(71bronco) and 3 Toyotas(00 tundra, 89 runner, 05 runner) I not so sure I can make that claim anymore. Def keep posting some shop builds, I love seeing builds I can never afford Haha.
    We are working hard to make stuff and offer trucks that more average dentists can afford. $150,000 frame off restorations are cool but pretty limited by who can buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Awesome! Congrats mang.

As the owner of a Sequoia, I get the appeal of these rigs.
    Those are cool too, and can be built pretty capable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Ahhh, glad to see you youíve gone public to the collective!!

Mags, LVS really has something special here! Joe is an incredible guy who (after looking at these rigs in person) is a gift to the cruiser industry!

Full discloser after visiting the shop I absolutely fell in love with this gal. She is an FJ60 and was produced in December 1986.
    Attachment 290494

I pick her up next weekend!!

Stoke!! FKNA!!
    Such a pretty truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    *hastily drafts argument for moving life in direction of a LandCruiser*

Good luck, that shop could be a great niche.
    The direction we're headed will be more affordable, nice daily drivers that have 300 hp and get 20mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    First off, congratulations Woody! I've perused that shop online and they seem to produce some amazing shit.

In regard to cruiser stuff, I'd concentrate on one niche and go from there. For example, interior accessories like drawers (there's a product we 80 folks need), sleeping platforms, consoles, door panels, visors, etc.

In terms of services, it seems like really concentrating on one engine swap and offering that at a slightly lower price via efficiency, parts volume, etc would be a good strategy as more people run their original motors down. Take the 6.0 or 5.3 or whatever and literally get it to a science. Become a retailer for those GM kits to get better pricing and get to the point where if you're going to swap in a GM, it's a no brainer to use your shop based on quality, price and time.

Congrats
    Thanks Rev, can't want to show you the shop and some of the stuff we've got cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I have the stock leather seats (FZJ-80) and want to ditch them for the cloth manuals. But the latter are becoming scarce, at least in reasonable condition. So how about re-uphosltered manual seats for those wishing to make the conversion?
    We can reupholster your seats or manual seat. Curious why you want to ditch your electric seats? I have them in my 80 and think they are very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Very cool, Leavenworth! Love dedicated resto/repair shops. Need any mechanics?
    We might, looking for someone who has experience with ECM tuning and more modern systems. Toyota cert. would be a huge plus. Most of my guys are more old school.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Congrats Woody. Glad you still have the LX470.

After having toured Jonathan Ward's TLC4x4/ICON last Fall, I can attest that this market is bigger (or richer) than we all think. That facility is bonkers. And you know how backlogged Torfab is on any given day...

I loved (and miss) my old 1988 FJ62 but every time we're on the roadtrip or up a mountain pass, I am reminded just how much happier I am in the LX470. I just wish older LC owners would wave back once in a while...

I agree that figuring out a cost effective engine swap platform is one ticket. As these cars get older and transmissions start to fail, I think more and more of us are going to be looking at new drivetrains. And, though I'm a bit tired of seeing all the overland/rooftop-tent /etc stuff (and assume that competition is pretty fierce for these), I think a lot of us are seeing the merits in second battery installs and fridges in the back. Doing installs or having a cheap plug-and-play solution would be rad.
    Thanks man! Yeah unfortunately the transmission in the LX went but Mrs. LVS loved it so much we had a new transmission installed. I 100% agree on an engine swap kit, 80s will be first, probably followed by 60s and 100s.

Maybe we can get you back in a 60, with a modern drivetrain (best of both worlds!)

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This^^
    ok, we will look in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Sounds like a kickass opportunity and place for you to ratchet up then take to the next level LVS. Best of luck - will visit
    Thanks Luke. We'll keep working on you to ditch the german fascination.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Pumped for you LWS! Sounds like a pretty great great niche and right up your alley. Cool story to boot.

Like shroom, keep me in mind if you see any good gx470 / lx470 / 100s roll through.
    Thanks! Yes, one of our plans is to source some good quality 100s/GX/LX for people and fix some of the shortcomings (Active Height Control delete for instance) and offer them as clean used truck you know have been gone through.

It's very sexy in person.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^Yup when the $$ are available that's my plan, a 60 with a 5 speed and EFI. It might be a while though
    Little known fact - the h55 5-speeds are actually still available new from Toyota.

I'd buy a clean 60 sooner than later, they are becoming more and more scarce.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1613.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	290673

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	290674
    Vivian when I first met her.

Had a special guest stop by the shop on Wednesday. BS720. He seemed pretty impressed by what I did to his old truck and pretty stoked on the shop in general. Hopefully heíll chime in.

Name:	IMG_1247.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	290675
    Itís hard to not to fall in love with Land Cruisers. The places they can take you, in comfort and luxury is pretty rad.

Name:	FJ60__1_.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	290676
    Our shopís 60 series test mule. Will be doing a lot to this truck in the next 6 months

Someday I’d like to have another straight axle longbed pickup.
    Name:  88338183-E787-468B-8A40-7E187FDBBDE4.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  425.6 KB

$$$

I had a 20R with a nice camper in the back in 1998. Set out from Taos trying to get to Alaska. Front end started throwing gear oil in Wyoming...spent all my traveling money on getting the frontend fixed. In hindsight I should have just let it leak and filled it every now and then, but I was young and didn’t know better.

Ended up in Eastern Oregon for the fire season. Engine chugging oil...a guy on my crew rolled a 20R truck, so my neighbor offered to do an engine swap if he could keep mine as a builder project.

Set out for Upper Michigan in the Fall. New 33” mud terrains, lots of $$ in the frontend and engine, camper totally worked out.

6 weeks later I’m heading through lower Michigan and catastophic engine failure on the freeway. I scramble to get rid of the drugs before the police show up. Get the truck towed to relatives in Saginaw. It’s Saginaw in the 90s, nobody wants to work on a Toyota. I’m stranded.

Command decision is made to gtfo and get back to my job in Taos before they get squirrely and think about replacing me. So that rust free 80 longbed with a nice camper and nearly new 33s went to a god damned junkyard for $300 and I took a loan out to buy a 2wd 1996 Ranger so I could get on with it. I remember my grandpa trying to convince me to buy an Astro van.

Ugh. Sometimes I visualize the faces on those guys when that truck arrived at their yard...they must have shit a brick. NM truck with zero rust. I bet that truck is still around.

Funny, now I have an old truck I feed oil and sparkplugs and frontend gear oil and have for years. I wish I had understood to do that back then. Live and learn. Sadly I don’t even have any photos of that one. That was a real fast and loose phase of life back then I guess.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 08-09-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Someday Iíd like to have another straight axle longbed pickup.
    Name:  88338183-E787-468B-8A40-7E187FDBBDE4.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  425.6 KB

$$$
    Those are cool. Have you seen the FJ45?

Name:	Photo_Mar_02__8_44_04_AM.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	290683
    Customer truck. In for service. Shortbed.

Name:	Marchshopphotos-19.jpg 
Size:	604.0 KB 
ID:	290684

Name:	Marchshopphotos-15.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	613.5 KB 
ID:	290685

Name:	Marchshopphotos-13.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	290686
    This is a factory long bed FJ45. Itís in the shop for a full restoration. Unfortunately itís such a rust bucket that itís probably going to need a new frame and cab.

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	790.8 KB 
ID:	290687

Name:	Photo_Oct_31__12_36_51_PM.jpg 
Size:	826.9 KB 
ID:	290688
    Our shop owns an FJ45 as well. It is a 1967, and was bought in North Idaho at the local Toyota dealership. Itís lived in the Sandpoint area itís entire life. We found it a couple years ago rotting away up a logging road 20 miles out of town. We rescued it and have been slowly working on it as time has allowed.

Name:	TheLandcruiserShopJan-43.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	610.6 KB 
ID:	290690

Name:	Buy_or_Build_tab_.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	621.0 KB 
ID:	290691
    We have media blasted the truck, sealed and primed the truck to protect against future rust. The bed was too far gone sadly, as it was used to haul firewood for most of its life.

Our plans:
    UTE style tray
    1HD-t 6cyl diesel
    H55 5-speed manual
    Split t-case
    Vintage Patina style paint job
    Vintage looking Land Cruiser Shop logos

= one badass shop truck

I dig those fj45s. I knew a guy in Bozeman who did a full resto on one and it was fucking beautiful. If ya make it over montana way(phillipsburg) I'm getting a handle on some fun trails. Finally got some of my junk moved over.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802_191414.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	290696

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app