Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I to crossed at the Spokane crossing in '01/02 season. I was heading south after 3 weeks doing a trip that started in Fernie, Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Red. Get to the crossing, two guards, ask me a few questions then ask me to step out of the vehicle. Decide to lock me up inside where I can watch them through a tiny window dismantle my truck. After emptying the contents of the bed on the pavement, tearing out my insulation and floor and finding nothing they move to the cab. I watch with amusement while they converse on how to deal with the 90lb malamute/wolf mix that is quite content showing his teeth with a nice low growl every time they approach the door. Finally guard one lets me out of my cell so I can remove the dog from the cab, then they lock us both in the cell. Commence dismantling of cab. All said and done, after a solid hour, they found nothing, they let me out, left all my shit in a pile, took me well over an hour just to put the insulation and floor back in my truck. They sat in their little cozy warming hut and just ignored me.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I to crossed at the Spokane crossing in '01/02 season. I was heading south after 3 weeks doing a trip that started in Fernie, Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Red. Get to the crossing, two guards, ask me a few questions then ask me to step out of the vehicle. Decide to lock me up inside where I can watch them through a tiny window dismantle my truck. After emptying the contents of the bed on the pavement, tearing out my insulation and floor and finding nothing they move to the cab. I watch with amusement while they converse on how to deal with the 90lb malamute/wolf mix that is quite content showing his teeth with a nice low growl every time they approach the door. Finally guard one lets me out of my cell so I can remove the dog from the cab, then they lock us both in the cell. Commence dismantling of cab. All said and done, after a solid hour, they found nothing, they let me out, left all my shit in a pile, took me well over an hour just to put the insulation and floor back in my truck. They sat in their little cozy warming hut and just ignored me.
    fuck those guys
    swing your fucking sword.

From an experience he had in Boston one time Armchair once wrote, "if you need to hit someone in the head with a hammer, don't use the flat side".

Words to live by. Yeah he was a good guy.

When I’ve crossed going north Nelson was to the left - but you could go right and take a long way around (including the highest major highway pass in BC and then a ferry) if you wanted to visit the fundamentalist Mormons with the multiple young brides.

I’m not here to kink shame anyone.

(Yea I know there are multiple crossing so can likely go right from some to get to Nelson)

Dude maybe it was left. It was 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Dude maybe it was left. It was 20 years ago.
    I’m not trying to take away from your story! Honestly. It was a great story. And you were headed to Nelson so no person could fault you on a small detail like that - even if it happened last week let alone 20 years ago. As I said from some crossings you do go right - so you could be 100% correct in your retelling.

I was in the backseat of a car with two co-workers/mentors crossing there and I was looking pretty shaggy comparably. The US border patrol straight up asked the two guys in the front seat if I was forcing them to drive me across the border like a kidnapper or something.

ha, me and another mag, Armchair Extreme (RIP) were stopped at the border heading north from Spokane to Nelson for the first-ever mini summit. They spent an ungodly amount of time searching our car, our bags, everything except our bodies. we were there like 90 minutes at least. All our clothes and bags spread out everywhere, they were using mirrors to search under the car, they brought a dog to sniff, everything. They even tried to trick us into admitting stuff by claiming they found drug residue on our licenses (yeah that was weird). But we were clean as a whistle, we had nothing on us. Planned to buy weed in Nelson.

Finally they let us in. We go about a mile up the road and it's a T intersection with signs pointing to different towns, none of which were Nelson. This was 2001, google maps was not a thing. We did not have a map in the rental car, we had no idea which way to go. We look at each other and shrug and decide we have to go back to the border and ask.

We pull up at the border and the same dick who spent all that time with us walks out and I get out of the car and say, "Sir, we got guilty consciences and decided to come back and turn ourselves in." The look on his face goes in my life highlight reel. Stunned. Confused. Delighted. Angry. Baffled. He had it all going on.

I gave it a good 4 count and said, "Nah, I'm just pulling your leg, do we turn left or right up there to get to Nelson?" He didn't say a word. Poor guy looked so deflated. He just pointed right. I jumped back in the car, gave him a wave and off we went.
    i had the same experience there a few times growing up. these days they wander down into compton on the border zone nonesense and pick off plebs at the train depot

Ive been in cars that were stripped at the border 3 times. Once, on the way to AK in spring 1989, the rookie Canadian border guard went all in and did full on cavity searches on both of us. I sat there for 10 minutes thinking "I have to fart, I have to fart" then he told me to lean on the wall and spread 'em and he bent over to take a look so I ripped a good one. His partner was hysterical and I couldn't help it and laughed too. Junior was pretty unhappy... They let us go pretty quick after that but it took about an hour to put the car back together.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I can't speak to American law but in Canada my understanding is that even 1 impaired driving charge gives you a criminal record. Until your criminal record is pardoned you will have a very hard time getting into the states. It's now two impaireds before you get a criminal record here Wrecked? News to me.

Alternatively, if you've a criminal record in the states you'll have a hard time getting into Canada, it's not the DUI, it's the criminal record that's the issue.

Gotta suck when given a criminal record for a small amt of Ganga back in the day and now with it legal in many states and Canuckistan it's hampering cross border travel.
    I mean yeah... if you commit a crime you have a criminal record. I was told the whole ‘Canada viewing my 2 impaired driving charges as a felony’ was my issue. I don’t know though... I was told this by a friend who is a border patrol agent on our side.... maybe he’s wrong...

Canada 1 DUI = criminal charge

The border guards usually ask "have you ever been arrested?" Doesn't matter if the charges were dismissed. Dunno if an arrest is reason for entry denial.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I had no clue Canada was a nation of Puritans.

Someone should tell the guys manning the entry to Windsor.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    The Yukon border guards are gonna safely assume every Alaskan has guns in their truck.

Crossing back into the states into Montana the border guards are just gonna be happy to see their Alaskan brethren.
    Lol, yeah, the Yukonions were probably happy to check them all out.

How many DUI's being a felony varies by state and it's actually 2 in some. I went to traffic court once in NY because they give you a reduction in charge which is easier on insurance but get the same fine and someone was being arraigned on DUI #2 which is a felony.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    That's what you get for having such an amazing road trip, lol.
    No longer stuck.

FYI, there's no such thing as a "felony" under Canadian criminal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Right? It's a felon-eh.
    I still call it The Jake.

Almost got smoked by an out of control car last night, sitting in my back yard

Woof, timber ridge write that one for ya?
    Take a Lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Do they have a noun with a similar meaning or do they just say soorry aboot that and call the judge My Lord? Is the defense side called hoser?
    Inquiring barristers want to know!
    No longer stuck.

We have Indictable offences and Summary offences. Indictable can be either jury or a judge, while summary offences are usually only presided over by a judge. There are many more nuances, that I'll leave to others more qualified to explain. I've only sat in a courtroom once (voluntary), never had to participate for realz.

So, I'm guess indictable is getting toward what we in the US would call a felony? We have violations and moving violations. Those aren't the right words, but think the difference between unpaid parking tickets and unpaid speeding tickets. 1 of those things can get you arrested. Then when you step up to the cuffs, there is a line typically around whether or not your stay in jail involves an entire rotation around the sun or not before you can leave. Normally, if you leave after the sun is back to the same place in the sky or after it has returned to the same place several times, that was because of a felony.
    OTOH, sometimes employment checks look for sub one rotation around the sun offences such as your first DUI. They don't like seeing that.
    1 DUI won't usually disqualify you from a lot of things though like voting or firearms ownership. That is the purpose of drawing the felony line. If disqualifies you from a lot of stuff.
    No longer stuck.

Nope. The most basic difference between a felony and a misdemeanor is the ultimate punishment. If the punishment is a year or less in prison, it's a misdemeanor. If it is more than a year in prison, it's a felony. If there is no jail time at all, it's an infraction (like a speeding/parking ticket).

It may vary in different states but this is the rule under federal law and also under MT law.

Finally they let us in. We go about a mile up the road and it's a T intersection with signs pointing to different towns, none of which were Nelson. This was 2001, google maps was not a thing. We did not have a map in the rental car, we had no idea which way to go. We look at each other and shrug and decide we have to go back to the border and ask.

We pull up at the border and the same dick who spent all that time with us walks out and I get out of the car and say, "Sir, we got guilty consciences and decided to come back and turn ourselves in." The look on his face goes in my life highlight reel. Stunned. Confused. Delighted. Angry. Baffled. He had it all going on.

I gave it a good 4 count and said, "Nah, I'm just pulling your leg, do we turn left or right up there to get to Nelson?" He didn't say a word. Poor guy looked so deflated. He just pointed right. I jumped back in the car, gave him a wave and off we went.
    Little known picture of iceman and his gigantic balls

Name:  4VUTJSB.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  168.3 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Only after he got to Nelson of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Nope. The most basic difference between a felony and a misdemeanor is the ultimate punishment. If the punishment is a year or less in prison, it's a misdemeanor. If it is more than a year in prison, it's a felony. If there is no jail time at all, it's an infraction (like a speeding/parking ticket).

It may vary in different states but this is the rule under federal law and also under MT law.
    That's....what I said.
    No longer stuck.

Heh. A DUI in Canada falls under the criminal code, so it is always either a summary or indictable offence. It is up to the prosecutor mainly to determine if it is a summary offence (1st charge, no damage or injury resulted, etc) or a some form of hybrid offence. But if convicted, it is a charge under the criminal code regardless of how it was determined in court. And all the fallout that comes from such a conviction.
    For violations under other provincial or fed statutes, there may still be courts involved (more often called an Opportunity To Be Heard), and the trier of fact is often deferred or authority delegated to other decision makers rather than formal judges. Findings against the plaintive usually are less severe in nature (i.e. fines or other restitution), but jail time could be a result depending on the severity, repetition, etc., of the violation.

Again, I am no expert in the criminal code and the system that supports it, the vast majority of my experience comes from compliance and enforcement work under provincial statute. Anything serious was referred to the RCMP for review.

For you guys traveling from Spokane to the north or vice versa, pro tip: Go through Northport Patterson crossing, not Metaline. It's much easier, especially returning to the U.S. The Metaline crossing is notorious for being a pain in the ass whereas going into Rossland and/or back has been much less hassle. And I say this as the uncle of a BP in Metaline.