Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do when a crow has adopted you...?

My girlfriend has a crow in her backyard. He seems perfectly fine, except he won't fly away. I'm guessing he has a bum wing. When he first showed up we figured he'd move on pretty quickly, probably as lunch for a courageous housecat. So, bless her heart, she (made the mistake of) put out some water and birdfood for him.

Then she got worried that her dog would get him, so she tried to relocate him to the next door neighbor's yard. He was totally cool with her picking him up (she wore gloves), and the relocation effort went off without a hitch....but a couple hours later he was back. Not really sure how he hopped the fence, but he did. It's been about a week now. He's no dummy, and gets VERY quiet around dusk, but during the day he just kind of wanders around the backyard and yells for food. He often has friends over and they make a ruckus. The dog leaves him alone. We've named him Carl.

We were out of town for the weekend and thought he'd move on then, but he just seemed a little pissed that he hadn't been fed for two days. It's hard not to anthropomorphize the little bastard.... I think it's cool and that she should train him to ride on her shoulder and curse/squawk at the neighbor kids, but she disagrees. So barring her making a goddamned legend of herself, what should she do? Are we just prolonging his suffering? If it was an owl or something somebody might care enough to rescue the little freeloader, but it's just a crow.

Need ideas.
    focus.

Teach it useful tricks, duh
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Whatever you do don't piss it off. Or its friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    My girlfriend has a crow in her backyard. He seems perfectly fine, except he won't fly away. I'm guessing he has a bum wing. When he first showed up we figured he'd move on pretty quickly, probably as lunch for a courageous housecat. So, bless her heart, she (made the mistake of) put out some water and birdfood for him.

Then she got worried that her dog would get him, so she tried to relocate him to the next door neighbor's yard. He was totally cool with her picking him up (she wore gloves), and the relocation effort went off without a hitch....but a couple hours later he was back. Not really sure how he hopped the fence, but he did. It's been about a week now. He's no dummy, and gets VERY quiet around dusk, but during the day he just kind of wanders around the backyard and yells for food. He often has friends over and they make a ruckus. The dog leaves him alone. We've named him Carl.

We were out of town for the weekend and thought he'd move on then, but he just seemed a little pissed that he hadn't been fed for two days. It's hard not to anthropomorphize the little bastard.... I think it's cool and that she should train him to ride on her shoulder and curse/squawk at the neighbor kids, but she disagrees. So barring her making a goddamned legend of herself, what should she do? Are we just prolonging his suffering? If it was an owl or something somebody might care enough to rescue the little freeloader, but it's just a crow.

Need ideas.
    There are organizations that will take in the crow or you could just let him hang. He might get better on his own and move on. They are amazing birds. So very very smart.

The Secret Life of Urban Crows
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

50 some years ago my cousin secretly illegally took three rocks from the Petrified Forest when she was about 5 years old. She fessed up to the crime to my aunt when back at their motel. The aunt claimed to have returned them but instead sent them to my cousin for Christmas gifts after she was an adult. The first two my tree hugging cousin mailed to the parks service out there with the story. The third and final one she decided to just throw in the woods behind her house outside of Flagstaff. Well, she also has a crow she feeds that brings her gifts. Guess what the crow brought her last week?? Crows are pretty chill and way smarter than people give them credit for. Help that bird if you can..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You are in crows good blessings, me wood stay him as long as he wants.
    watch out for snakes

Raven the trickster is highly revered by the FN

I https://www.facebook.com/Vagabond3band/

The guys in this band ^^ found 3 young crows in the woods, only 1 survived which they named Brandon, they raised him until he left probably to mate but they are hoping Brandon comes back some day, I think your Crow will leave when it feels like it

the band used to have a PR shot with the crow on someones shoulder so I had to ask if it was real or photo shop and got the story
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My father had a crow when he was a boy. His story was that he sold it 3 times, and twice it returned to him. Never heard why it didn’t come back the third time.

Ditto on the others recommending to just be chill and help out. A happy crow and his murder is good juju.

What do when a crow has adopted you...?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2369.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	290157

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	290158

Name:  IMG_2371.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2372.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2373.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  62.2 KB
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

If he wants to be at my yard he can. Srsly, bring him over if you’re out of ideas. We love critters, there’s the beachlands and bum’s jungle and the power plant and seagull island nearby if he wants to spread out. My mom’s is also an option. She’d enjoy nursing a crow.

You have options, you know how to get in touch. Srsly.

Crows are extremely cool. I think that it adopting you speaks highly of you and the other 1/2.

Be glad its not a Magpie, those things suck.

You will be blessed down through the crow generations. Seriously, they pass shit down from one generation to the next, both positive and negative. And their memories are phenomenal. There was a great article I saw a few years ago about that but can't find now but google crows' memories and a ton of shit comes up. Here's just one article: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26crow.html

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    If he wants to be at my yard he can. Srsly, bring him over if you’re out of ideas. We love critters, there’s the beachlands and bum’s jungle and the power plant and seagull island nearby if he wants to spread out. My mom’s is also an option. She’d enjoy nursing a crow.

You have options, you know how to get in touch. Srsly.
    Hah. Thanks. Carl is pretty chill for the time being. But if he overstays his welcome I’ll take you up on that. He’s stressing out the gf some, which might end up being the deciding factor. If his friends weren’t such assholes.....

Name:	261250c5-695a-49dd-8f30-50ea784959af.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	875.4 KB 
ID:	290165
    focus.

They're said to be one of the only types of birds that can actually recognize human faces; even years after seeing them. Plus, watching Heckle and Jeckle was a blast when I was a kid. If nothing else it's good karma to harbour a critter until it can be on it's way.

One of my coworkers has done bird rehab and worked with crows. They had crows at the rehab place that talked. She said if they used their high, chirpy voice to talk to you, to be wary. They were mad for some reason. When they used their deeper voice, they were happy.

+pi to all the above. Crows are awesome

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09400-0

Wish I had a crow

That looks like a juvenile.

They'll leave ..... someday, but always fall back on you when times get tough.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Raven the trickster is highly revered by the FN

I https://www.facebook.com/Vagabond3band/

The guys in this band ^^ found 3 young crows in the woods, only 1 survived which they named Brandon, they raised him until he left probably to mate but they are hoping Brandon comes back some day, I think your Crow will leave when it feels like it
    After Brandon Lee in the movie The Crow?

Duno, didnt even think about it, 2 of the guys in this power trio are FN so i was thinking that angle somehow

buddy pointed at a faint white mark on his guitar case and said " if there was ever any doubt in yer mind if it was a real crow or photoshop ... thats crow shit eh"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Why would a crow stress the girl friend

Not a good sign...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

Yes

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	290158
    Fuck no

Name:  IMG_2371.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  80.1 KB
    Absolutely

Name:  IMG_2372.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  35.3 KB
    Hell yeah!

Name:  IMG_2373.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  62.2 KB

Next to Coyote, the Crow is a pretty important fixture in Native American mythology...I wouldn't f%&k with him.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Name:  sock-monkey-03.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  15.2 KB
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

See if this is the one crow that can put up with Chris Robinson?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Why would a crow stress the girl friend

Not a good sign...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    She doesn’t want him to get eaten/molested. Seems fair?

She called around the other day. Best offer she got was an offer to check him out and euthanize him. Raptor center only cares about raptors.

Poor Carl. We’ll hope he heals up....
    focus.