What to do with cherry Atomic R:EX 198

About 8-10 years ago, a friend of mine came out to UT to visit. I hadn't skied with him since H.S. He brought with him a brand new pair of 198 10:EX. I guess that he bought them cheap on eBay. While here, he put maybe 5 days on the skis, and then left them with me. They are totally mint. At the end of the season, I put a coat of summer wax on them and forgot about them. However, on occasion, I did place new coats of summer wax on them. The guy no longer skis, and the skis remain at my house. I wonder whether they will be fun like the SuperBros (bombing icy, open terrain)? When they originally were released, they were marketed as a powder ski! ....84mm underfoot...How am I going to have the most fun on these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4995.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	797.6 KB 
ID:	289996
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm sort of asking for information in addition to this old thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ic-Rex-or-10ex
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Atomic recalled a bunch of bindings that look like the ones on those skis. See here:
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2008/at...se-fall-hazard

Dismount and bring to a shop -- Atomic will send you new bindings.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks many. I’ll check that out for sure

Bummer. These are Xentrix 6:14. They are not included in the recall.

Too bad... fun ski. Plow comfortably through 8 or 10 in. Very stable in any firm condition with maybe a little nose slap. Excellent bite - the front always gave out first.

+ 1 was where is felt at home.
    ​I am not in your hurry

they may be a fun High Boy party last run type ski. Otherwise, I'm thinking of using them early season (Nov.-Dec.). I think that they will suit Regulator and the early season wasatch runs nicely

What to do with cherry Atomic R:EX 198

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

Bummer. These are Xentrix 6:14. They are not included in the recall.

But they still suck. Don’t ski on them.

I had a pair of 179s? wicked amount of camber.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Yeah, camber and a very traditional/engaged feel. IIRC, they're light enough to make a good touring ski.

Those bindings were recalled. The heels do not stay down and will slide back and pre-release. Great skis but I agree, do not ski them with those bindings. Smooth big smile flex. I knew an Alaskan heli guide who said they were the ticket back in the day. If you disregard weight, they were hands down the best bc skis I've ever had.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 08-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

Guess I should keep mine. Almost threw them away on the most recent move. Heavy with my current bindings, but a good ski. I'll have to remount with lighter bindings for early session.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Great ski in its day, remember more than a few Alta patrollers on them. I loved em high speed crud crushers. nose dove a bit in true pow and mid fat.
    As mentioned, light if not so long be a good touring ski ( I put DIIs on my 191 10exs for a few seasons in UT)

I see on the other thread basom liked em.
    he lives EC now and needs skis, send em to him

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Those bindings were recalled. The heels do not stay down and will slide back and pre-release. Great skis but I agree, do not ski them with those bindings. Smooth big smile flex. I knew an Alaskan heli guide who said they were the ticket back in the day. If you disregard weight, they were hands down the best bc skis I've ever had.
    i skied these with Combs at Valdez Heli Ski Guides, they were the widest skis at the lodge at the time. Great skis.
    Get rid of the bindings, i was skiing the 10-18 metal atomic/ess var which most Stockli Athletes still use. the lower dins blew up all the time.