Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1262
  1. #1026
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    1,735
    I need to know more about sleep. Iím 40, eight years into a fire career with 48 hour shifts. Going two days with minimal sleep has immediate impacts for sure; I wonder about the bigger/sneakier impacts. Itís getting harder to stay lean and fit. Certainly due to many factors, but I should do some reading.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  2. #1027
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I need to know more about sleep. Iím 40, eight years into a fire career with 48 hour shifts. Going two days with minimal sleep has immediate impacts for sure; I wonder about the bigger/sneakier impacts. Itís getting harder to stay lean and fit. Certainly due to many factors, but I should do some reading.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I hate the 48ís. We had to go to them to remain competitive with hiring since we were the last department in the state to do it. Enough of our old guys are complaining about them that we are considering some type of hybrid/mixed schedule. About the only good thing in my mind about 48ís is only driving to work half as much and being able to live farther away.

    Do you ever pull on your boots at 3am on the third call of the night and seriously wonder if you can hack it for another 12 years?

  3. #1028
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    17,171
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Was doing a trail run today with a buddy who's North of 50 but still crushes hiking/cycling. I was mentioning that I'm not where I want to be weight/conditioning wise. He reads a ton of fitness stuff and told me all about the research he's been reading on the outsized impact sleep plays in weight loss/gain. My sleep schedule is terrible with teenagers at home and early meetings with EMEA for work. Made me realize that I need to put some focus there in addition to my workouts.
    Sleep deprivation is a direct cause of insulin resistance. Chronic hyperinsulinemia makes fat loss hard and fat gain easy because insulin inhibits an enyzme called hormone-sensitive lipase that's basically the master regulator of fat metabolism. You also secrete most of your testosterone and growth hormone during sleep and those are the hormones that promote lean mass over fat mass. Sleep loss also causes people to make poorer-quality food choices and reduces motivation to exercise. Pick any angle to look at it and sleep loss puts you on an express train to Chunkytown.

    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I need to know more about sleep. I’m 40, eight years into a fire career with 48 hour shifts. Going two days with minimal sleep has immediate impacts for sure; I wonder about the bigger/sneakier impacts. It’s getting harder to stay lean and fit. Certainly due to many factors, but I should do some reading.
    Besides staying lean, per Why We Sleep sleep loss wrecks your immune function. IIRC, one night of <4 hrs of sleep reduces your killer T cell count by 70%. Shift work is considered a probable human carcinogen.

  4. #1029
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Was UT, AK, now MT
    Posts
    12,939
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

    Do you ever pull on your boots at 3am on the third call of the night and seriously wonder if you can hack it for another 12 years?
    No, because at 3am I slip into Croc's when I get called into ER. Steel toe Croc's, OSHA approved.

    We work 24 ER call shifts in low volume hospital, only five per month. Usually sleep all night. But yeah, I couldn't do more than five.

  5. #1030
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,904
    As skiers and snowboarders, I think many overlook the importance of ab strength. Aside from conditioned legs, I feel like abs are incredibly important.
    I do a 20-25 min ab routine 3 days a week. Ideally, I'd like to go every other day, but I'm lazy and take the weekends off for mtn biking, trail building, and house crap.

  6. #1031
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,843
    It's all about finding religion. Luckily I found the Church of the Seven Day Recreationalists at a young age.

    *Basically stolen from Jeremy Jones' Art of Shralpinism book. It's a good one, would recommend.

  7. #1032
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    No, because at 3am I slip into Croc's when I get called into ER. Steel toe Croc's, OSHA approved.

    We work 24 ER call shifts in low volume hospital, only five per month. Usually sleep all night. But yeah, I couldn't do more than five.
    Ha, steel toe crocs would be great.

  8. #1033
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,099

  9. #1034
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I hate the 48ís. We had to go to them to remain competitive with hiring since we were the last department in the state to do it. Enough of our old guys are complaining about them that we are considering some type of hybrid/mixed schedule. About the only good thing in my mind about 48ís is only driving to work half as much and being able to live farther away.

    Do you ever pull on your boots at 3am on the third call of the night and seriously wonder if you can hack it for another 12 years?
    Indeed. I love 48ís because it frees me up to get out on the 96 off, but I definitely do feel the struggle during busy sets. 17 years to go!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  10. #1035
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I hate the 48ís. We had to go to them to remain competitive with hiring since we were the last department in the state to do it. Enough of our old guys are complaining about them that we are considering some type of hybrid/mixed schedule. About the only good thing in my mind about 48ís is only driving to work half as much and being able to live farther away.

    Do you ever pull on your boots at 3am on the third call of the night and seriously wonder if you can hack it for another 12 years?
    Indeed. I love 48ís because it frees me up to get out on the 96 off, but I definitely do feel the struggle during busy sets. 17 years to go!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  11. #1036
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    13,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    No, because at 3am I slip into Croc's when I get called into ER. Steel toe Croc's, OSHA approved.

    We work 24 ER call shifts in low volume hospital, only five per month. Usually sleep all night. But yeah, I couldn't do more than five.
    I took call five nights a week for nine years. This was during and after my divorce and trying to be a single parent for the last half of that stretch. I started when I was 41 and pulled the plug on my 50th birthday. It gets harder every year to get up multiple times a night as you age. Iíve observed healthcare providers over the last 35 years at work and the call schedules and work requirements are not good, healthy or safe. I imagine that itís the same for first responders. Itís got to change.

    Again, keep moving, eat well and sleep well. Thatís the ticket for staying healthy as we age.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #1037
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    12,828
    And limit alcohol, tobacco etc.

    I quit dipping again this yr., and eliminated 95% of my alcohol, and the difference in my energy level is monumental. The fucking chemicals they put in that shit was literally wiping me out by noon everyday. I was tired all day and felt like I needed Nap.

    Now Iím riding n the early AM and hitting the gym in the afternoon vs feeling like I need a nap.

  13. #1038
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Was UT, AK, now MT
    Posts
    12,939
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I took call five nights a week for nine years.
    I average normal sleep on I'd say 3/5 call shifts per month. Usually the call-ins are low acuity and take an hour or so. So I'm usually only forfitting nominal sleep. It's a good trade-off to working straight days in a big, urban shithole ER where I end up despising humanity. Our patient population is pretty awesome. Angry at the world and cynical with sleep, vs loss of some sleep seems like a fair trade. I like my job.

    But you do question your life choices EVERY time you get ripped out of REM sleep, that's for sure.

  14. #1039
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Coast of the East Coast
    Posts
    7,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I average normal sleep on I'd say 3/5 call shifts per month. Usually the call-ins are low acuity and take an hour or so. So I'm usually only forfitting nominal sleep. It's a good trade-off to working straight days in a big, urban shithole ER where I end up despising humanity. Our patient population is pretty awesome. Angry at the world and cynical with sleep, vs loss of some sleep seems like a fair trade. I like my job.

    But you do question your life choices EVERY time you get ripped out of REM sleep, that's for sure.
    Are you an RN? My sis was at one of those big hospitals you mention. Despising humanity is an understatement. She tells stories about the "regulars" that came in all the time. Drugs and Alcohol are killing more than just the people that abuse them. She got hired on as a consultant for a large hospital group to battle insurance claims, and now works from home, or wherever. The people, the other nurses, and ultimately 3 herniated discs and 2 surgeries made her bow out of hands on, in person nursing.

  15. #1040
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    6,487
    This thread has turned toward a Gregory Isaacs vibe.

    Move upside and let the man go through...

  16. #1041
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    10,485
    Iím Wim Hofís age. That dudeís a fat fuck.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  17. #1042
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,081
    Some upthread asked about beginner workouts (or may be it was in another thread). Stumbled on this recently. I like that it approaches beginners training from coaching basic/fundamental movements. And itís split into easy program. Each workout can be done in 30min. Simple enough to get the habit going.

    https://youtu.be/ixkQaZXVQjs

  18. #1043
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,338
    AthleonX is the shit worth watching.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  19. #1044
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    AthleonX is the shit worth watching.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    True. With a caveat that not every advice is a gospel and is the one and only true way. Got to fit advice, program, diet to a particular individualís situation.

    Lots of useful material on his channel tho.

  20. #1045
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    1,442
    Dan,

    Thanks for posting that Huberman-Galpin series.

    Do happen to know if they have that information distilled down into something more manageable? Like, it took me 2 hours into the second podcast to get "exercise 3-5 times a week, and do 3-5 different exercises per session and keep the same exercises in place for a 12 week block".

  21. #1046
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Dan,

    Thanks for posting that Huberman-Galpin series.

    Do happen to know if they have that information distilled down into something more manageable? Like, it took me 2 hours into the second podcast to get "exercise 3-5 times a week, and do 3-5 different exercises per session and keep the same exercises in place for a 12 week block".
    Thatís just for improving strength. Donít miss out on the protocols for power and for hypertrophy.

    Podcastnotes isnít perfect, but best I found for a summary:

    https://podcastnotes.org/huberman-la...-huberman-lab/

  22. #1047
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,961
    I'm not expert but this is worth listening to. We all get our motivations from different places. I'm currently on the IR doing PT for a broken collarbone because sometimes I crash my bike. I wrote on the intake from for goals "get back to 110% ASAP". So yeah, I've been focusing on all of it because I don't want to be a mentally unhealthy sack of shit rotting on the couch feeling sorry for myself.


  23. #1048
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    37ft above the hood
    Posts
    16,572
    Do whatever dantheman does, that dude is like wolverine





    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Zone Controller

    "He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

    "DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

  24. #1049
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,081

    Athletic performance in your 40s?

    Can Admins change thread title to something like ďAthletic performance in your 40ís and beyondĒ? Dano?

    Would be good to more inclusive

  25. #1050
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    37ft above the hood
    Posts
    16,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Can Admins change thread title to something like ďAthletic performance in your 40ís and beyondĒ? Dano?

    Would be good to more inclusive
    You woke, boy?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Zone Controller

    "He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

    "DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •