Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    As far as physique goes, I think that it is more about diet than exercise. No matter how much weight lifting, hiking, elliptical, biking or sprinting you do, the pounds won't come off unless you are eating healthy. At least, this is what happens with me. For example, I have never in my adult life adhered to a specific workout regiment. Really, from May through November, by just doing what I want, when I want, I seem to hike 35 miles/wk, bike 10-15 miles/wk., sprint 5 miles/wk and row/paddle 5 miles/wk. Now, if I could give up fruit pies, pasta and bread. While, I am by no means svelte or chiseled, I think that I am healthy. Maybe, I will start smoking cigarettes.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Get fit in the gym; lose weight in the kitchen.

Sprint 5 miles?

My 10 yr old daughter is learning back handsprings. I contemplated showing her.....but I didn't want to have that awkward talk with the ER doc as to why I have a fractured wrist.

Thought about showing my sons a 360 on the last day of the ski season....but same.

I feel that my mind knows I can do much of the same shit, but my body might not hold the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sprint 5 miles?
    I'd say he's over-trained. Or bad at estimation.

Sprint 5 miles?
    Sprint thing for me is a nine-10 minute mile five times per week. Ha ha
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A buddy told his wife there must be something wrong with the washer cuz its shrinking his jeans and she said the appliance that is causing your problem is the refrigerator

the nutrition label on every food product gives you the portion size and they are a lot smaller than you think
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A buddy told his wife there must be something wrong with the washer cuz its shrinking his jeans and she said the appliance that is causing your problem is the refrigerator
    ha. stealing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    My 10 yr old daughter is learning back handsprings. I contemplated showing her.....but I didn't want to have that awkward talk with the ER doc as to why I have a fractured wrist.

Thought about showing my sons a 360 on the last day of the ski season....but same.

I feel that my mind knows I can do much of the same shit, but my body might not hold the landing.
    There's a certain age when you enter the zone of no second chances in personal finance and physical injury, but joint replacement technology has changed that a lot.

Yup. I know the physician who conducted that 2018 study in Cincinnati.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sprint 5 miles?
    Young goat: let's sprint the last quarter mile.
    Old giat: I am sprinting

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Jeebus, you just turned fourty. Just wait till you get on the backside of 50.

Suck it up Sally. You got pain coming in parts you did not even know you had.
    I can attest to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I just started wearing a heart rate monitor on rides after some time. In the late ninties, I would max out in the 160s. Now I barely break 135. Slowing down.
    I used to max in the high 180's, before my heart attack in December it was much lower but I wasn't tracking it because I was too stupid to read the signs... Now I ride with one and struggle to get above 150 but when it does spike it's still in the high 170's. Fortunately I don't have to have that happen anymore though because on my e-mtb I just bump it a level as it gets into the high 140's and the same when it pops higher. My cardiologist seems to think that's a decent strategy so I don't blow up again.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't know that there's any problem pushing heart rate to max if you're young, non smoker, no family history of premature cardiovascular disease. It's more a question of how long your legs or whatever can maintain the level of activity that requires that high of a HR. For me--my dad had his first heart attack at 40, brother at 35, and my aortic valve a little narrow--I'll stay at 80%, and I can't do that for long, but then I'm on a beta blocker.
    Heart stress tests on a treadmill are sometimes used to evaluate people for big surgery. It turns out that someone who reaches target heart rate (80% of max for age and whose EKG shows blockage of one or more coronary arteries is a much better risk for surgery than someone who can't reach target whose EKG remains normal. In other words--fitness is a better predictor of survival than absence of heart disease.
    Smoked for nearly 30 years Over 50. Significant family history, dad had a HA at 43 and all of the men on that side of the family died at 70 for the last 100 years, he's the first to make it to 75. Me, I don't process cholesterol worth a shit, no matter what my diet has been over the last 30 years the numbers are pretty terrible. I try to eat reasonably well but have a carb problem I've eliminated sodium as much as one can now, I eat a lot of rabbit food but can't seem to give up (low fat beef) burgers and slow cooked (lean) ribs once every two weeks or so. I think the biggest problem is my blood is pretty "sticky" so I used to clot VERY well, deep gashes would close up in minutes at most, so now I'm on Brilinta twice a day to reduce that potential.

They put me on the treadmill for a stress test and after 10 minutes I still wasn't over 115 and they gave up. I can't walk faster or run due to the nerve damage in my leg from the surgery to correct the iliac artery puncture caused when they went to put in the thing to put in the stent during my heart attack. They had to do it chemically, boy that SUCKED!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Get fit in the gym; lose weight in the kitchen.
    Workin' on it. The beer is harder than the food actually.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post

LOL. Yup it's called the Old Folks Boogie RIP Lowell George.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    McKenzie's "treat your own back"

Attachment 290058
    I read this about 10 years ago, and still do many of the things I learned from reading it. Saved my back. Highly recommended.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I just entered the 40's and I don't find athletic performance has gone yet for me, but doing math in my head has greatly diminished
    skid luxury

3 out of 2 older folks have that same issue.

If you have 2 proper pints at the bar, how many beers have you consumed?

is that a fracture

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    If you have 2 proper pints at the bar...
    There's a bartender at Pagosa Brewing and, man, does she ever have a nice set of pints!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’m in the best shape of my life outside of college swimming days. Workout 6 days of week. Either gym/weights, boxing or swimming 2-3k each day. Flexibility/injury avoidance on high alert. Lots of hip flexor movements, trans lateral cable pull downs for back work, and of course ,
    Diet.

Pulling chics 10-15 yrs younger, or trying to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A swimmer.....
    I'm sure you were well behaved, a great guy, rarely drank
    Unlike the average swimmer who was nothing short of a crazy person

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    A swimmer.....
    I'm sure you were well behaved, a great guy, rarely drank
    Unlike the average swimmer who was nothing short of a crazy person

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Swimming is just pain in a sensory depravation tank. What do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

As long as you have the VO2max to accomplish all that you're fit.
    Every checked your heart rate while jerking off?
    jerking off and wearing a hr monitor is just plain wrong, kind of wacko
    on the other hand wearing one and boning some chick is just fine
    when I was all into HR numbers and racing I used to wear one and have sex just cause I was all into the numbers, always try to see if I could break 180, it was pretty hard to do
    this chick I raced with wore her HR monitor a couple times during sex too, so we would compare notes, she said it didn't really get her hr up that high, I just mentioned that she was just laying there and probably not doing too much

and go talk to your doctor
    pretend you have low T, get some drugs
    inhalers, other topical steroid creams anything
    don't worry about the side effects and your "performance" in your 40's and 50's will be stellar

I suppose getting fat and out of shape in your mid to late 20's pretty much starts the downhill slide
    finding time and the desire to exercise is pretty hard
    but once you start you can post all about your walking biking swimming and eating healthy habits online and feel good about yourself until you give up in three weeks

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I just mentioned that she was just laying there and probably not doing too much
    You mean you didn't tell her she was doing it wrong?

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    That’s well said. It’s not natural to put yourself through 100k a week in the pool, and only the craziest runners come close to the same level of self punishment.

I actually sometimes look at my entire life, career etc and think that ability was not always the best asset. Made me always choose punish myself somehow. You can’t do that forever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    that's why swimmers are all crazy
    never saw so much hazing, physical abuse, fighting, taping people to locker room benches naked and leaving them there for hours, dumping ben gay all over their nuts, and this was all amongst ourselves, drug use and alcoholics, one guy I know would gets stoned before practice every day in high school, used to see who would throw up first at 7am saturday morning practices, hold people underwater until near drowning, punches to the face, bloody noses and you'd never get out of the pool blood everywhere, if we could control ourselves for one whole week and behave and listen our reward was to play water polo on fridays, it was the hardest thing to do I think we failed at getting that reward over half the time, not sure how no one drowned or lost an eye and we were one of the best teams year after year in our conference and section , 20 - 30 hrs a week in a pool as kid was fucked