Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sugar makes you fat but eating fat does not make you fat
    Fucking hummingbirds, all they eat is sugar. You ever see a fat hummingbird?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You're killing me.

The sugar lobby paid off the right people
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This is a typical day for me (6’-5”, 240...used to be 225):

AM:
    -protein shake with banana, kale, açaí packet.
    -bowl of oatmeal (whole oats) and blueberries or a bowl of cereal like Kashi Cinnamon Wheat or Flax Plus flakes).

Mid-morning:
    -3 scrambled eggs (remove 1 yolk), red peppers, cheese and sometimes a turkey sausage.

Lunch:
    -Turkey sandwich with 11 grain bread, lettuce, avocado

Mid-afternoon:
    -Almonds with cashews and dried cranberries
    -Sometimes Greek yogurt
    -Sometimes another bowl of cereal
    -Apple

^^^Yes....probably my problem area.

Dinner:
    -A lean protein like salmon, chicken or steak/ground beef and veggies. Sometimes couscous or brown rice too.

-Pasta once a week...too much?

*Also have a few cookies per week to tell the truth. But no alcohol in 5 months.
    As everyone else has noted, while the quality looks good that's a lot of food. Cut it down to 3 meals, no snacks. It would be also worth weighing/measuring all that once just to see how many calories it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Danthe I agree with everything you’ve posted here save one: eating at night. I keep seeing studies or sources I trust saying that’s not true or tenuous at best. Also, I don’t trust the strict vegan dude behind nutritionfacts.org at all. Has an agenda.
    If animal foods are involved Greger definitely has an agenda, but for everything else I find him to be pretty even-handed. The studies he cites in the chronobiology series all appear to solid basic science. I haven't seen anyone else do a similar deep dive into that topic, but I have seen Rhonda Patrick also talk about late eating being detrimental to health in multiple ways. I'm definitely interested to hear what your SIL has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

https://fieldguidetohummingbirds.wor...birds-get-fat/
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As everyone else has noted, while the quality looks good that's a lot of food. Cut it down to 3 meals, no snacks. It would be also worth weighing/measuring all that once just to see how many calories it actually is.

If animal foods are involved Greger definitely has an agenda, but for everything else I find him to be pretty even-handed. The studies he cites in the chronobiology series all appear to solid basic science. I haven't seen anyone else do a similar deep dive into that topic, but I have seen Rhonda Patrick also talk about late eating being detrimental to health in multiple ways. I'm definitely interested to hear what your SIL has to say.
    Just counted that on MyFitnessPal and it’s 2806.

For someone to maintain weight at 6’-5”, 240, it looks like that’s the amount of calories needed to maintain weight, per a calorie calculator I used. So for 1 lb of weight lost per week, take out 500 cals per day via exercise and/or diet?

Just counted that on MyFitnessPal and it’s 2806.

For someone to maintain weight at 6’-5”, 240, it looks like that’s the amount of calories needed to maintain weight, per a calorie calculator I used. So for 1 lb of weight lost per week, take out 500 cals per day via exercise and/or diet?
    Take the calories out of your diet, do not plan on exercising more. It is often said that you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. So find what the base calorie amount to maintain for your body and general activity, and yes, cut out calories from that. Extra exercise is gravy, not an excuse to eat more.

Also, realize that as you lose weight the base calorie amount to maintain goes down (another reason to cut calories and not expect to use exercise). So if you drop 20 pounds, the next 20 are harder to get because you need to cut even more calories.

But your meal plan is a lot of food, you basically eat 2 large breakfasts. You eat good lunches and dinners. And give yourself a large afternoon snack.

Another tip: you've obviously guesstimated the calorie count for what you eat. And that's great. But buy a cheap digital scale (if you don't have one) and weigh your food for a while. What you guesstimate as 4 oz of meat might actually be 6 oz.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Take the calories out of your diet, do not plan on exercising more. It is often said that you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. So find what the base calorie amount to maintain for your body and general activity, and yes, cut out calories from that. Extra exercise is gravy, not an excuse to eat more.

Also, realize that as you lose weight the base calorie amount to maintain goes down (another reason to cut calories and not expect to use exercise). So if you drop 20 pounds, the next 20 are harder to get because you need to cut even more calories.

But your meal plan is a lot of food, you basically eat 2 large breakfasts. You eat good lunches and dinners. And give yourself a large afternoon snack.

Another tip: you've obviously guesstimated the calorie count for what you eat. And that's great. But buy a cheap digital scale (if you don't have one) and weigh your food for a while. What you guesstimate as 4 oz of meat might actually be 6 oz.
    Thanks

Yep.

Also yep. Weight loss happens in an asymptotic curve, not a straight line.

Agree that cutting calories is required - exercise alone isn't enough. I've gone to chopped salads for lunch most days, that gives me some spare calories to put towards a snack in the afternoon to fuel a bike ride or other workout - it's hard for me to exercise hungry. I needed to drop 5 pounds after the holidays, which used to be easy to do, but took about 6 weeks this time around. Old age, what a kick in the pants.

6’-5”, 240
    DAYHAM.

(hope when you sit bitch on a 737 i'm not next to ya)
    "Can't you see..."

Nice link.

On another note…I’ve always done some degree of weightlifting for strength, and I sometimes read about the caloric demand of simply maintaining muscle. Therefore I question the diet only approaches.

My weight (6’3” 190) has been unchanged since age 25, so my interest is academic only.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    DAYHAM.

(hope when you sit bitch on a 737 i'm not next to ya)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Agree that cutting calories is required - exercise alone isn't enough. I've gone to chopped salads for lunch most days, that gives me some spare calories to put towards a snack in the afternoon to fuel a bike ride or other workout - it's hard for me to exercise hungry. I needed to drop 5 pounds after the holidays, which used to be easy to do, but took about 6 weeks this time around. Old age, what a kick in the pants.
    I couldn’t exercise hungry in the past either, and did bonk from time to time. Started the 16:8 time restricted thing and now working out fasted is my preference and workouts seem a lot better (mt bike, trail runs, etc).

Long events I will bring calories of course, but often don’t need as much. Its been a noticeable difference.

Didn’t do the 16:8 to lose weight, more for other stated benefits and trying something new so I guess I’m thread drifting. I did lean up a bit but I’m 6’2 170

I am in my 40s tho, that’s gotta count for something

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    caloric demand of simply maintaining muscle.
    Unless you're 200lbs at 8% bodyfat, it would be negligible I would think. All the BMR data should hold, because daily caloric expenditure is an estimate for the individual, afterall.

Diet-only approaches work great for the weight lifter, so long as they keep lifting weights. It's the high protein intake, the heavy lifting (at reduced volume), and some carbs (at least 50g/day) that maintain muscle mass. No caloric equation adjustment necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

So based on your reply I dug around a bit for simple articles that appeared to have credible citations. This one’s the best I saw so far: https://www.bornfitness.com/does-inc...se-metabolism/

Research suggests that every pound of muscle is more likely to burn about 6 calories per day.

You’re probably thinking, “Just 6 calories?”

Comparatively, a pound of fat will burn approximately 2 calories per day

Some research suggests that 90% of the total calories you burn from weight training might occur after you finish your workout because of the “afterburn” effect.

Body builders eat crazy amounts of food , I worked with a pro-ball player who had won a grey cup ring,

for Americans thats like the acoustic version of the Superbowl

he was a slim/ trim 190 6'2" but he told me as offensive center he maintained 240 by eating 7000 cal a day for 15 yrs and lifting

but seriuosly come on TGR and say yer carrying an extra 20-30 and you don't know why?

It doesnt matter how you eat it or when you eat

you gotta do something about how much food you eat period
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Athletic performance in your 40s?

For me, the afterburn effect is most effective if I have Dave’s Insanity Sauce when I’m replacing calories.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    So based on your reply I dug around a bit for simple articles that appeared to have credible citations. This one’s the best I saw so far: https://www.bornfitness.com/does-inc...se-metabolism/
    Yeah, that's pretty close to the values I've seen. But still, that's a negligible difference.

An average 180lb man at 15% bodyfat has roughly 27lbs of fat and 72lbs of muscle mass (estimating 40% skeletal muscle). If that man got shredded (down to 8% bodyfat, or 14.5lbs fat) and jacked, but stayed the same total weight (180lbs), he would have lost 12.6lbs of fat and gained 12.6lbs of muscle (12lbs of gained muscle is considerable).

If each lb of muscle burns an extra 4 calories, this hypothetical man burns an additional 50 calories when shredded and jacked compared to his previously average physique. So he's going have to drink an extra 1/2 cup of milk, or eat an additional 6 tortilla chips, or have one more Snickers Mini to maintain these gains.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Alright. SIL, as mentioned, is a nutritionist that works with some of the fastest athletes in the country. (Mostly bikers and triathletes.)

She says there are two schools of thought on metabolic levels - one is that it moves up and down fairly quickly, the other is that it is fairly steady and increases and decreases over time.

First group is the group that thinks nighttime calories matter more cause you slow down then, and that you should eat less during rest days.

She thinks first group is very wrong and that metabolism changes slowly over course of a couple weeks, and that rest days and nighttime don’t matter. Feels the research clearly backs that up, as does experience with the athletes that come to her.

So I’m going with “nighttime calories are the same as daytime calories”, but there is still some disagreement. For the record, she thinks the science has already proven her view correct.

All FWIW.

I'll buy that there's no difference for elite endurance athletes trying to support and recover from huge training loads. For your average middle-aged person trying lose some weight or stave off the office ass that their peers make seem inevitable, I'm still pretty skeptical:

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episo...e-night-eating

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episo...sulin-response

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episo...tabolic-health

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0602143816.htm

Further, even if there are no metabolic differences between daytime and night time calories, the data also consistently shows that earlier eating spontaneously reduces total caloric consumption and improves diet quality.

The guests in those Rhonda Patrick episodes don't strike me as hacks and they were not at all ambiguous about this.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-30-2021 at 09:54 AM.

So husband has started lifting more weight this past year (he turned 40 this summer) and I want to add to our home gym.
    We’ve always worked out with hand weights so we have the sets of 5lb, 10lb, 15lb and a 35lb kettlebell
    Do you guys have any recs on a more substantial barbell set to incorporate?
    Here’s the garage space currently where he is lifting with cinder blocks on a heavy duty bar supported by saw horses. I think a bench or barbell rack could work in the space. what do you guys use/recommend for regular lifting?
    I’m trying to figure out how much we will end up wanting to lift when looking at the sets available too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6648.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	431134
    skid luxury

I’ve got a nice Olympic barbell set I will give you. 45 lb bar, assorted plates up to rubber coated 45 lb. Nice stuff. Way to heavy to ship, but I’ve got a standing offer to stay with Djongo, so if I can line up care for Mom, I will bring this stuff with me (if you haven’t already gotten something). Sadly, my cardiologist won’t let me lift weights anymore… might blow my aneurysm.

BTW: incredible ski quiver
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    So husband has started lifting more weight this past year (he turned 40 this summer) and I want to add to our home gym.
    We’ve always worked out with hand weights so we have the sets of 5lb, 10lb, 15lb and a 35lb kettlebell
    Do you guys have any recs on a more substantial barbell set to incorporate?
    Here’s the garage space currently where he is lifting with cinder blocks on a heavy duty bar supported by saw horses. I think a bench or barbell rack could work in the space. what do you guys use/recommend for regular lifting?
    I’m trying to figure out how much we will end up wanting to lift when looking at the sets available too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6648.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	431134
    45# bar can be had new under $100, tho you may want to temper that with likely quality for heavy lifting later
    burly squat rack is going to be $$, maybe $4-500 for garage folding unit?

in larger metro areas, you can find used weights/gear fairly regularly on CL or ebay or facebook at some discount...might be worth scouting the nearby bigger towns

Edit: NM, Harry's got you...

Super generous of you Harry- thank you. Hope we can cross paths this winter. I need to earn my “I skied with Harry” tshirt

:::: I think you are right about the squat rack being bank. But I almost think that’s the clutch part of keeping it all tight and dialed (which tbh is what grates me about the whole set up currently)
    Ok ok need to research more keep the recs coming
    skid luxury