Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well I should have added an asterisk and As far as I can tell
    As far as I recall

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well I should have added an asterisk and As far as I can tell
    You bought yourself some credibility with "Low Post Malones"

Ha. Thanks. Coming from you that means...well, something.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Saturday - Two hours of weight work - squats, heel raises, standing rows - plus an hour of one legged balance exercises
    Sunday - two hours on singletrack trying to keep up with my buds

I'm four months into rehab after Achilles rupture surgery. I'm also old enough that Medicare paid for it.

Getting old ain't for sissies. Gotta be a shark - keep moving or you sink

That too
    ouch, Achilles.

whenever i'm running and ramping up the speed when I feel a pull in the ankles; I stop immediately and walk and give it a couple of days; those Achilles rehabs are not worth pushing it.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Sat - 1 hour walk. Legs felt like cement. 4 sets of pushups, 4 sets of chinups.
    Sun - 48 minute uphill 1500 vert foot hike, 25 minutes downhill. Legs felt like cement.
    Mon - temps dropped from low 20's C to 12 C. Same uphill 1500 vert foot hike, time dropped from 48 minutes to 32 with same average heart rate as day before and subjective feeling of vitality similar to feelings felt in early 20's. Did a full circuit training 9 lb rock workout during the downhill. Nice well rounded workout. In lieu of a stretch in afternoon, did "domestics yoga" = full bathroom clean, scrub. 75 minutes. Felt like I earned a good greasy dinner so threw three patties on the bbq, added a few kg's of cheese, lathered meat cakes in mayo, balanced out the grease with some red cabbage/broc/cauliflower/olive salad soaked in three cheese ranch dressing, ate it, watched "The Dawn Wall", felt stoked on still being able to do at least a bit of cool stuff in my mid 40's, and called it a day.

Takeaway - mid 40's heat intolerance and day to variability of performance sux, but, at least I can still drag my old ass up and down the mountain and do my duty of denuding the said mountain...one downhill rock hauling workout at a time.
    Master of mediocrity.

You do that walk in da nude?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

My favorite hike around Castle Peak took me 5 hours when I first did it in my early 40's. Takes me 7 1/2 hours now, even though I work out a lot more now than I did then. Knock off an hour for the time I spent resting my aching shoulders and it's still sad.

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Drop some weight, ie, yer clothes, and I bet you’d cut down at least 30 minutes!

I haven’t taken a walk that long in a while.

I had a friend that ran Whitney in his 30’s with a friend. Claimed to do it in 6hrs (if I remember right), car to car, via the east face. Running clothes, single water bottle and a single powerbar. Probably would have been closer to 5 hrs if naked.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Drop some weight, ie, yer clothes, and I bet you’d cut down at least 30 minutes!

I haven’t taken a walk that long in a while.

I had a friend that ran Whitney in his 30’s with a friend. Claimed to do it in 6hrs (if I remember right), car to car, via the east face. Running clothes, single water bottle and a single powerbar. Probably would have been closer to 5 hrs if naked.
    Hey, those clothes were the height of Alpine chic when that picture was taken--air force surplus wool flight pants, two wool shirts, some kind of thermal underwear, gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hey, those clothes were the height of Alpine chic when that picture was taken--air force surplus wool flight pants, two wool shirts, some kind of thermal underwear, gaiters.
    Big fan of wool

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Furious masterbation.

l]
    hooked up with this chick this week
    sure as fuck we are talking about what we like and don't like when it comes to sex

got the crazy chick to say furious masterbation over and over
    thanks TGR

hope you bitches got out and got after it, one more day included in this weekend for the over 40 crowd

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    hooked up with this chick this week
    sure as fuck we are talking about what we like and don't like when it comes to sex

got the crazy chick to say furious masterbation over and over
    thanks TGR

hope you bitches got out and got after it, one more day included in this weekend for the over 40 crowd
    A woman saying "furious masturbation" over and over is a turn on for you? That's right up there with "fuck me Santa".

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    That is very bad logic.

"it doesn't matter which types of foods you put in so long as the math works"
    That's not what I said. And, regardless, it's not my logic; just a preponderance of data and biologically sound conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Now, you can certainly eat a lot of sugar and not be chronically hypergylcemic, but the two tend to go hand-in-hand.
    You are correct in saying that chronic hyperglycemia is a systemic inflammatory state, but so is obesity. In fact, obesity is arguably more so, and for a longer period of time (constant vs. postprandial). So, I'd argue it's the obesity, not the sugar that's the problem.

Dementia is a broad classification of neurological diseases without a common mechanism, etiology, or set of risk factors. Maybe the Wagner article identifies the specific disease(s) in the cohorts they were studying, but I couldn't find it in the abstract. Even ignoring all of the shortcomings inherent in epidemiological studies, interpreting their results to conclude that "sugar = increased risk of Alzheimer's" (which is what I assume you mean by including "amyloid plaque formation"), without knowing which other neurological diseases they were including, is irresponsible.

Chronic hyperglycemia and the resultant systemic inflammation

​Yes, eating a lot of sugar in a short period of time can result in elevated blood glucose levels. But eating a lot of carbohydrates of any kind in a short period of time can result in elevated blood glucose levels. Either way, the blood glucose/insulin pathway is generally well regulated in individuals of healthy body weight (some folks are genetically predisposed to poorly regulated blood glucose/insulin, of course) and usually doesn't reach the level of being hyperglycemic. Hyperglycemia and insulin resistance are much more common in the obese, and are diagnostic of metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes and diabetes. So, I'd argue it's the obesity, not the sugar, that's the problem.

insulin resistance generally precedes obesity.

We don't know for sure if metabolic syndrome is caused by chronic low-grade inflammation or is worsened by it. But most sources agree that obesity is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance/diabetes, not the other way around.

Consumption of fructose from non-whole fruit sources is the primary driver of NAFLD

Yep, the liver gets first pass at fructose, no argument about that. And, yes, diets high in sugar (table sugar & high-fructose corn syrup are half fructose, half glucose) are typically correlated with NAFLD, no argument there either. But all three articles you cited also mention the energy/caloric density of the Western diet, high levels of fats and oils, and the context of obesity. In fact, from the O'Keefe paper: "regular SSB consumption was associated with greater risk of fatty liver disease, particularly in overweight and obese individuals" [emphasis is mine]. So, I'd argue it's the obesity, not the sugar, that's the problem.
    Metabolically, fructose is alcohol that doesn't get you drunk..."Fructose is a chronic, dose-dependent hepatotoxin."

Fructose, is in no way a hepatotoxicant approaching equivalency with alcohol. That's an intentionally inflammatory (pun intended) statement. Alcohol's impact on the liver goes beyond inflammation and fatty liver, and it isn't clear that NAFLD is caused by high fructose consumption or correlated with it.

Lustig, who is a PhD neuroendocrinologist and Professor emeritus at Stanford

Lustig is an intelligent and accomplished individual. And while he is correct, I believe he's too narrowly focused on sugar. I've always viewed his work as an example of The Law of the Instrument fallacy. If you ask three professionals how to prevent obesity, an endocrinologist will tell you "keep your insulin levels low", a cardiologist will tell you "eat more Omega-3s", and a kinesiologist will tell you "do more squats". They're all correct, but are all missing the big picture.

And, while Lustig may have a perfect understanding of the effects of hormones on the nervous system, he gets a few things wrong when it comes to human metabolism. He is simply incorrect when he states that fructose doesn't cause an insulin (and thus, leptin) response like glucose does. Again, table sugar and high-fructose corn syrup (sucrose) are half glucose, and half fructose, and both have been shown to elicit an insulin response and blunt appetite. Furthermore, a insulin resistance can develop from chronically elevated insulin levels. But sugar isn't the only macromolecule that elicits an insulin response; any carbohydrate (simple or complex) will increase insulin, so will protein for that matter. To pick one single dietary component out as evil is missing the larger context. In fact, most sources agree that a fructose consumption between 40 and 90 grams/day is safe and even beneficial. More importantly, since 1970, the increase in obesity in America correlates closer to the increase in overall calories, rather than the increase in sugar.

As I've said before in this thread, I'm not advocating unrestricted soda consumption, and I believe most people would benefit from a diet focused on lean protein, green vegetables, and complex carbohydrates. But to blame obesity, metabolic syndrome, NAFLD, and Alzheimer's all on sugar is overly simplistic and irresponsibly demonizing. Obesity driven by the chronic intake of excess calories (often resulting from destructive eating habits and sedentary lifestyle) better fits the data and biology. So, for the final time, I'd argue it's the obesity, not the sugar, that's the problem.

big advantage to IF
    I agree. I've been 16/8 IFing consistently for 10 years. I even lift fasted. It's great. But I have to mention that I'm not convinced it provides any metabolic or health benefit beyond ease of scheduling (I don't have to pack a lunch or make time for breakfast), reassurance that I don't have to eat six meals a day to be healthy, and perhaps some slight calorie partitioning benefits.

But I think that's probably about enough of this bullshit. Let's get back to old farts talking about jacking off and drinking beer.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 08-25-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Either way, the blood glucose/insulin pathway is generally well regulated in individuals of healthy body weight (some folks are genetically predisposed to poorly regulated blood glucose/insulin, of course) and usually doesn't reach the level of being hyperglycemic. Hyperglycemia and insulin resistance are much more common in the obese, and are diagnostic of metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes and diabetes. So, I'd argue it's the obesity, not the sugar, that's the problem.

We don't know for sure if metabolic syndrome is caused by chronic low-grade inflammation or is worsened by it. But most sources agree that obesity is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance/diabetes, not the other way around.
    Tl/dr. But you're making an argument for causation out of correlation and then with the above "not the other way around" you seem to misunderstand correlation: if obesity is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance/diabetes, then what would the dataset look like where these are not also risk factors for obesity (aka: the other way around)?

Risk factors being correlation, not causation, that's gonna go both ways.

Ice cream

I was going to put this in the nutrition science thread, but just couldn't do it. I'm wondering about ice cream as a fuel/re-fuel food immediately after a hard workout.

Protein, sugar, maybe some growth hormones; what's not to like? Maybe a little "Lite" salt on top for the electrolytes?

Gotta be a downside to this. What is it?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The downside is the 15 impeding long winded, opinionated messages we’re going to have to read “answering” your question.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    The downside is the 15 impeding long winded, opinionated messages we’re going to have to read “answering” your question.
    obviously people are confusing this site with some other site
    our they are just desperate to make sure they are the smartest greatest person in the room
    on top of that they probably suck at skiing and we'll never see their girlfriends tits
    this is tgr after all

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    You may be right. Coulda thrown in disclaimers in an attempt to head off 7 or 8 but let's be honest: if it wasn't summer there would be no forced reading, but it is summer, so no amount of disclaimers will help.

I was going to put this in the nutrition science thread, but just couldn't do it. I'm wondering about ice cream as a fuel/re-fuel food immediately after a hard workout.

Protein, sugar, maybe some growth hormones; what's not to like? Maybe a little "Lite" salt on top for the electrolytes?

fwiw; Dabbled in road bike racing back in the day and seem to recall an interview with one of the big stars in the late 80's...kinda thinkin it was Andy Hampsten after he won the Giro d'Italia. Whoever it was said his recovery food after punishing training rides was a large Dairy Queen Blizzard...something to do with most amount of calories per gram or somethin'. The google sez Greg Lemond was a fan of D.Q. as well:

"LeMond goes his own way, at his own speed. Bernard Vallet, a teammate in 1985, would spot LeMond in public eating ice cream, which is alleged to be very unwise and unhealthy for cyclists. “But that was Greg,” Vallet would say later. “Rules do not apply to him.”More than one adviser, close or otherwise, cautioned LeMond against gulping down pizza and cheeseburgers and Dairy Queen cones, his admitted weaknesses. Greg didn’t care, even though studies had proven to him that one extra pound could mean 30 to 60 seconds in a 12-mile climb. He and his wife picked a small town in Belgium called Kortrijk to be their home away from home, whenever he was competing in Europe, partly because several grocery stores there stocked his favorite peanut butter and potato chips."

Hampsten, charging in a Blizzard, giro d'italia, 1988
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 612
Size:  369.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Brain freeze

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    obviously people are confusing this site with some other site
    our they are just desperate to make sure they are the smartest greatest person in the room
    on top of that they probably suck at skiing and we'll never see their girlfriends tits
    this is tgr after all
    I read a study years ago that showed chocolate milk was a particularly good recovery drink compared to other popular options, but I think it was looking at strength training.

Yeah, the less processed cacao nibs or powder plus a banana blended with almond milk is what I like. I'm not sure if it helps, but I like the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I read a study years ago that showed chocolate milk was a particularly good recovery drink compared to other popular options, but I think it was looking at strength training.
    That's what got me thinking about ice cream: if chocolate milk is good, chocolate cream with extra sugar and magnesium salts (and maybe a little guar gum) should be better, right? The calorie density aspect is compelling, but my lactose tolerance limits me to a spoonful on the way to the shower.

I'd do more of the non-dairy substitutes like Jackstraw describes, but bubbly foam drinks are even less tolerable. Probably need to adjust the blender technique.

I'd do more of the non-dairy substitutes like Jackstraw describes, but bubbly foam drinks are even less tolerable. Probably need to adjust the blender technique.
    Agreed.
    Significantly less bubbly foam with almond milk vs cow and the banana helps with both fwiw.