Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Great movie--The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover--especially if you like Helen Mirren.
    No one ate the Cook, the Thief ate the Lover. The Cook cooked the Lover beforehand, because, after all, we're not talking sushi, here.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Great movie--The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover--especially if you like Helen Mirren.
    Change that order around a little and you've got Eating Raul...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Furious masterbation?
    suggest you stop before you go blind

maybe just until you need glasses ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    No one ate the Cook, the Thief ate the Lover. The Cook cooked the Lover beforehand, because, after all, we're not talking sushi, here.
    Thief killed lover. Wife had the cook roast the lover and she made the thief eat him. Thief looked very nauseated so I'm guessing cook skipped the salt, to add insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    40's suck
    thats a bummer to hear
    20's were boss, didn't give a fuck 100 day ski seasons bike racing not a care in the world
    30's more fun, growing up finally, less this less that more work, but still had a good time
    40's have been great so far, dr asks "well what hurts?" depends on the day, knees, back, neck, shoulders, arms, I Can now afford anything I want as far as bikes and skis go, vacations,
    the downfall is my record was 7 times in one day and now 3 times would be pushing it, like a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    thats a bummer to hear
    now 3 times would be pushing it, like a miracle
    get back on the tread mill with blu pill
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    So I wonder if that is due to Obesity ?
    I would argue that it is. To complicate matters, what is well-tolerated in terms of sugar is vastly different for someone at a healthy weight as opposed to the obese (insulin insensitive, pre- or full on Type II diabetic, high blood pressure, etc.).
    I never said they were. The body handles proteins, carbs, sugars, and fats very differently, and how "well" each of those macronutrients is processed varies from person to person.

Its the long-term caloric balance that is the primary factor in dictating whether a person loses or gains weight. You can lose weight (and not coincidentally improve your health markers) while eating nothing but processed crap, and you can gain weight eating the strictest, cleanest diet you could design (as if anyone could possibly agree on what that even is...).

Macronutrient profile is definitely important to those concerned with body composition or athletic performance, but for the average person just looking to lose a little weight its far secondary to caloric balance. But Ludwig's stance of "ultimately it matters where those calories come from; this matters more than the number of calories ingested"; and suggesting that the dietary quantity of any single macronutrient is a greater predictor of body weight changes than caloric intake is ludicrous.

Like all misconceptions, there's an element of truth behind the opinion in your Harvard article. I'm not saying that sugar is blameless, or that folks who are already overweight or struggling with metabolic syndrome don't need to worry about sugar intake, or that the body processes all macronutrients the same. Hell, I'd agree that sodas are a huge health concern for a number of reasons: high caloric density, high sugar content, low satiety, promoting psychological sweetness cravings, the body's poor ability at intuitively "gauging" the energy content of liquids (which, by the way, makes fruit juices no better than sodas in my book), and so on.

My favorite analogy is that becoming obese is like going into debt. There are many ways to get there (overcharging your credit card, taking out a loan you can't pay back, getting behind on car payments) and some are easier and faster than others (high processed carbs and high fat are relatively easier than high protein and fiber) but at the end of the day it's a pretty simple calculus of what you're taking in against what you're putting out. Because
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its not the sugar making your ass look fat

its your fork
    There is no dietary component, not processed foods, not sugar, and not fat, that causes weight gain; it's a sedentary lifestyle and destructive eating habits that lead to obesity.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

^^^^^You're de-emphasizing something pretty darn important: The quality of food we eat influences how much food we eat. Things like full-fat dairy, nuts, and whole grains are generally more filling than processed crap and refined grains. Sure, you can lose weight on a cheetos, hot pockets and beer diet, but you'll likely feel starving all day and generally feel like shit. You will suffer. Then you will give up. If you eat the same number of calories with a sensible mix of high quality ingredients you can lose/maintain weight and feel pretty good while you do it. There are a number of rigorous, long term studies concerning people consuming certain foods and weight attenuation.

Frankly I think worrying about calories is pretty darn pointless unless you are professional athlete with the time, resources and motivation to weigh everything you eat so you can get down to 7% body fat from 7.5%. For the rest of us a "portion" is a far more practical unit. The number of portions matters, but so does the type and quality. If you avoid sugar and other processed foods, cap your meat/dairy/fat/ whole grain intake, and eat as much fruit and veggies as you want, getting close to that ideal number of calories is sustainable and pretty simple.

Edit for clarity: By "simple" I mean not complicated. I don't mean it's easy. I sure as hell find it hard to be consistent, especially during stretches when I'm traveling, eating out a lot, or going to parties. Put some good pizza of chips and guac in front of me and I'm likely to take in 2000 Calories in a few minutes.

Athletic performance in your 40s?

I’ve had a bad back for about 7 yrs and I’ve found using those dual, cable, crossover machines at the gym has really helped. There is an ex delta force guy named tmac who believes all your motion working out should invole more than just up, and down, but twisting, and I’ll be damed if my back is not better doing that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

40's suck
    totally disagree. clearly your approach must suck

40's suck
    What I remember of my Forties seems like it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Hell ya, I felt the same way about my 20s when I was in my 30s..

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Yup, likely was in the best shape of my life in my 40's. Got lazy in my 50's and now at 60 I am trying to figure out how to get motivated again to run, swim, workout and all the other stuff I did in my 40's.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

All this discussion about “training” and no mentioning of go pros, wearing overloaded packs, or wearing ski boots on the stair climbing machine....?

WTF?! Have any of you learned anything from this forum?!

there's snacks in here?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    All this discussion about “training” and no mentioning of go pros, wearing overloaded packs, or wearing ski boots on the stair climbing machine....?

WTF?! Have any of you learned anything from this forum?!
    Friend of mine used to walk barefoot in the snow to toughen his feet. He also used to do 100 mile runs in the NM desert, just for fun. Having one of Hitler's Brown Shirts as a father can mess you up.

i feel like i'm going to live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ^^^^^You're de-emphasizing something pretty darn important
    I'm not de-emphasizing the role of food quality in respect to dieting; I wasn't emphasizing it at all, because it was beside the point I was making.

We began this tangent when someone made a comment about sugar = dementia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia
    and I, out of my frustration with the demonization of any single dietary component, responded that sugar isn't the problem, obesity is. A stance I stand by.

Your post was wholly about lifestyle and diet advice. Ironically, my advice to anyone who asks me "how to eat" is remarkably similar to yours. If you're trying to lose weight: eat mostly lean meat and high fiber vegetables and allow yourself either a small treat every day or a medium-sized treat once a week, because
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    it's ok to indulge in this stuff
    Any diet that works does two things: gets you to eat fewer calories than you're burning (through restriction, guidelines, or trickery); and allows you to do that day in-day out. A diet that keeps you full longer (high protein, high fiber), doesn't invite a bunch of calorically dense foods (avoids refined carbs, sugars, and most high-fat sources), and is satisfying (is reasonably palatable and permits a few treats) fits the bill and is a great pragmatic choice.

But make no mistake, it works because you're eating fewer calories than you're burning, not because you're avoiding some evil macronutrient or "unclean" dietary component.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

^^^^^You're de-emphasizing something pretty darn important
    I'm not de-emphasizing the role of food quality in respect to dieting; I wasn't emphasizing it at all, because it was beside the point I was making.

We began this tangent when someone made a comment about sugar = dementia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia
    and I, out of my frustration with the demonization of any single dietary component, responded that sugar isn't the problem, obesity is. A stance I stand by.

But man, I'm right there with you, I can pig out on some solid pizza or Mexican food. To paraphrase Louis CK, the meal isn't over when I'm full, it's over when I hate myself. But it's no coincidence that the foods you listed (and instantly made me crave)
    some good pizza of chips and guac in front of me
    have little to zero sugar and are composed of somewhere between 50% and 100% fat. So take that you zealots that argue that "sugar is the devil's work".

Your post was wholly about lifestyle and diet advice. Ironically, my advice to anyone who asks me "how to eat" is remarkably similar to yours. If you're trying to lose weight: eat mostly lean meat and high fiber vegetables and allow yourself either a small treat every day or a medium-sized treat once a week, because
    it's ok to indulge in this stuff
    Any diet that works does two things: gets you to eat fewer calories than you're burning (through restriction, guidelines, or trickery); and allows you to do that day in-day out. A diet that keeps you full longer (high protein, high fiber), doesn't invite a bunch of calorically dense foods (avoids refined carbs, sugars, and most high-fat sources), and is satisfying (is reasonably palatable and permits a few treats) fits the bill and is a great pragmatic choice.

But make no mistake, it works because you're eating fewer calories than you're burning, not because you're avoiding some evil macronutrient or "unclean" dietary component. And you don't get fat because you let yourself eat some "fattening" food, but because you develop some destructive eating habits
    The problem is when you have a sequence of overeat + overeat

so what did you clowns do this weekend to keep your perfromance up?

sit around the back yard drinking playing grab ass with the wife while the kids played in the sandbox?
    or did you hit it hard keeping that blood flowing?

sit around the back yard drinking...
    You spying on me?

sit around the back yard drinking playing grab ass with the wife while the kids played in the sandbox?

Furious masterbation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

to keep your perfromance up?
    What's perfromance? Some CO brobrah shit?

Rode up some hills

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_172300.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	291636

Then had some brew

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_222433.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	291637
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

19 miles by hoof

come at me bro
    is that like on a horse or hiking or camel toe?
    having problems with the hoof definition