Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There is tons of evidence that calories eaten in the evening are more fattening than calories eaten earlier in the day. This video series lays it out in detail:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat...o-lose-weight/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/bre...like-a-pauper/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat...n-the-evening/
    Interesting. I haven't watched the vids but I wonder if that is based on people eating "normally" and not doing something like IF. Because IF seems to be very useful and popular, but most people do something like a 16/8 or even 20/4, with the eating period (the 8 or 4) being in the afternoon/evening. I don't know people who wake up, have their eating window between 8am and 4pm, and no eating until the next morning.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

ever ones metabolism is different

skiing 4000ft a day for a week ina hut with too much food I will come out having gained 5 lbs

and I will lose it all in 5 days

I gained about 5 lbs apres ACL surgery due to inactivity and lost it all really quick
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Interesting. I haven't watched the vids but I wonder if that is based on people eating "normally" and not doing something like IF. Because IF seems to be very useful and popular, but most people do something like a 16/8 or even 20/4, with the eating period (the 8 or 4) being in the afternoon/evening. I don't know people who wake up, have their eating window between 8am and 4pm, and no eating until the next morning.
    Per the studies cited it holds true even on an isocaloric IF protocol. Study participants who ate one meal per day in the morning lost more weight than those who ate the exact same meal in the evening. Afternoon/evening eating periods are the norm in IF, but mostly just because it's more convenient to skip breakfast than dinner. The data is quite clear that from a purely weight loss/health perspective earlier is better.

eta: Which is not to say that you can't lose fat and eat dinner. But, if fat loss is your goal the earlier you can be done eating for the day the better, and you definitely should not eat anything after 7-8 pm at the latest.

Per the studies cited it holds true even on an isocaloric IF protocol. Study participants who ate one meal per day in the morning lost more weight than those who ate the exact same meal in the evening. Afternoon/evening eating periods are the norm in IF, but mostly just because it's more convenient to skip breakfast than dinner. The data is quite clear that from a purely weight loss/health perspective earlier is better.

eta: Which is not to say that you can't lose fat and eat dinner. But, if fat loss is your goal the earlier you can be done eating for the day the better, and you definitely should not eat anything after 7-8 pm at the latest.
    Interesting, thanks.

Most days I do 16/8 with the eating period from 1-9pm. And I am happy with where I am weight wise, lost a lot of weight initially (doing keto and IF) and have kept it off with little work. But maybe I should adjust to 12-8 as my eating window, I could probably manage that.

No way could I eat bfast and lunch and skip dinner, that doesn't work from a lifestyle POV.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My friends sister who's an anorexic swears by puking and laxatives to lose the weight.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No way could I eat bfast and lunch and skip dinner, that doesn't work from a lifestyle POV.
    I can definitely understand that. Hell, I have a hard time getting enough calories eating three meals a day, but I do try my best to be completely done eating by 7. After work recreating throws a wrench into that, but I assume the dynamic is different when you've just burned 1000+ calories.

What I find most striking about this research is that nutrition science is inherently messy data and often it's hard to draw really firm conclusions. But, in this case there's almost no ambiguity at all. Even when people don't lose weight, or the goal of the study isn't weight loss, earlier eating results in improvements in almost all biomarkers (BP, blood lipids, glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, etc.) compared to late eating.

Not claiming that my statements are completely guided by science, just sharing my experience. In August, I just looked at my bloodwork and tried to make changes. Got no real guidance from my Doc other than quit drinking. 2nd set of bloodwork in September. She looked at it and asked what changes I had made. She just said, keep up with what your doing. That was a quick drop in 12 lbs, but then it slowed down a little. Less weight loss every month.

Often I make the analogy that I was carrying around a 40 lb bag of pellets 24/7. Losing weight, you can only feel better and have more energy, which makes it real easy to stay more active.

It's interesting that you say this. I start the day with about 1200 calories at breakfast. Another 1000 at lunch. and no more than 800 for dinner. I no longer care about stairs and the yard work definitely helps. The gardens have never looked better.

I agree , just move more. It doesn't have to be "exercise".

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bumping...I’m well into my 40s and this year I’ve gained weight that I am having a really hard time getting rid of. I’m not into the diet trends but does anyone have links or advice on reworking my nutrition so I can lose about 2 lbs a week? Thanks in advance.
    Stop putting so much food in your mouth and keep moving

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Athletic performance in your 40s?

This is a typical day for me (6’-5”, 240...used to be 225):

AM:
    -protein shake with banana, kale, açaí packet.
    -bowl of oatmeal (whole oats) and blueberries or a bowl of cereal like Kashi Cinnamon Wheat or Flax Plus flakes).

Mid-morning:
    -3 scrambled eggs (remove 1 yolk), red peppers, cheese and sometimes a turkey sausage.

Lunch:
    -Turkey sandwich with 11 grain bread, lettuce, avocado

Mid-afternoon:
    -Almonds with cashews and dried cranberries
    -Sometimes Greek yogurt
    -Sometimes another bowl of cereal
    -Apple

^^^Yes....probably my problem area.

Dinner:
    -A lean protein like salmon, chicken or steak/ground beef and veggies. Sometimes couscous or brown rice too.

-Pasta once a week...too much?

*Also have a few cookies per week to tell the truth. But no alcohol in 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My friends sister who's an anorexic swears by puking and laxatives to lose the weight.
    finally some solid advice thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Stop putting so much food in your mouth and keep moving

l]
    no shit

so like your old and fat getting old is a bitch if I could be 20 something the rest of my life I'd call that winning

look at the rest of america eat up drink up pill up and don't look out of place

Smoothies for breakfast and lunch and 4 eggs for dinner. Nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

sugar makes you fat but eating fat does not make you fat

Fat & protien for breaky & snacks will get you thru

eat regular food just less of it,

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sugar makes you fat but eating fat does not make you fat

Fat & protien for breaky & snacks will get you thru

eat regular food just less of it,
    What snacks would you recommend?

AM:
    Mid-morning:
    Lunch:
    Mid-afternoon:
    Dinner:
    Is there a reason you need 2nd breakfast & 2nd lunch?
    They appear to be meal-, not snack,-sized.

I’m 6-5 210
    In my most active times, those mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks were no more than an apple, and often not even needed

I can definitely understand that. Hell, I have a hard time getting enough calories eating three meals a day, but I do try my best to be completely done eating by 7. After work recreating throws a wrench into that, but I assume the dynamic is different when you've just burned 1000+ calories.

What I find most striking about this research is that nutrition science is inherently messy data and often it's hard to draw really firm conclusions. But, in this case there's almost no ambiguity at all. Even when people don't lose weight, or the goal of the study isn't weight loss, earlier eating results in improvements in almost all biomarkers (BP, blood lipids, glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, etc.) compared to late eating.
    Danthe I agree with everything you’ve posted here save one: eating at night. I keep seeing studies or sources I trust saying that’s not true or tenuous at best. Also, I don’t trust the strict vegan dude behind nutritionfacts.org at all. Has an agenda.

I’ll get into the late night calorie thing with my nutritionist sister-in-law this weekend. Interested in what she says.

Overall though, this is a minor comment and Danthe is right on regarding the other stuff if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

I’m 6-5 210
    In my most active times, those mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks were no more than an apple, and often not even needed
    I’d agree. Everyone’s metabolism is different but I’m 6’4 225 currently but have been everywhere from 205 up to 245 when lifting a lot. And your daily sounds close to what I ate when trying to maintain weight at my heaviest. Skip the big second breakfast, which is hard for us big guys. Or at least make it smaller.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    He's eating all day and can't figure out why he's gained weight.

AM:
    -bowl of oatmeal (whole oats) and blueberries or a bowl of cereal like Kashi Cinnamon Wheat or Flax Plus flakes).

Mid-morning:
    -3 scrambled eggs (remove 1 yolk), red peppers, cheese and sometimes a turkey sausage.

Lunch:

Mid-afternoon:
    -Sometimes Greek yogurt
    -Apple

Dinner:
    -A lean protein like salmon, chicken or steak/ground beef and veggies. Sometimes couscous or brown rice too.

*Also have a few cookies per week to tell the truth. But no alcohol in 5 months.
    Dude, I'm much smaller than you, but that's a lot of food. I probably eat half that in a day.

SMALL amounts of fat and protien a chunk of cheese a piece of sausage will always satisfy a craving, sometimes running saw the lunch is a landjaeger a piece of cheese standing up and chug a water bottle and back on the saw in 5 min cuz if you sit down you won't wana get up

typical diet for active day of skiing:

1 grapefruit/ 1 kiwi/ 1 egger breakfast sandwich with gruyere/ avocado/ bacon and 3 or 4 espresso this is fuel to start the day

1 only smallish cheese & landjagger sandwich for lunch with thermos of herb tea, always AVOID the food in the ski hill bar

a couple of beers at the Bulkley or the Smithers ( or both ) for the apres ski pick me up or skip them if at all possible

Dinner is a SMALL piece of protien a 6 oz steak/ piece of fish/ piece of pork salad or veg small potato or some rice you can always skip the starch as needed

usually a couple glasses of wine

one should always check fasting weight when they get out of bed so they can adjust food intake on a daily basis, I don't get it when someone has suddenly (? ) become 20lbs overweight, you really didnt know ??

the above ^^ keeps me at a BMI of 24

of course YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    He's eating all day and can't figure out why he's gained weight.
    Oh shit, that’s funny.

How many ways can people say “eat less”.?

This thread will tell us.

AM:

Mid-morning:

Lunch:

Mid-afternoon:
    -Sometimes Greek yogurt
    -Apple

Dinner:

Are you a hobbit?

But seriously, while you are eating 5 times that doesn’t look like a lot of calories but also not a deficit amount unless you are super active.

I’ve always eaten 3 meals with 2 snacks in between, but obviously those snacks have become larger, so I’ll track calories and work at cutting back. I think it’s from stress eating based on the last year of COVID, keeping my business going and raising a feisty 9 year old.

Minimal to none. Try to only eat meals.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’ve always eaten 3 meals with 2 snacks in between, but obviously those snacks have become larger, so I’ll track calories and work at cutting back. I think it’s from stress eating based on the last year of COVID, keeping my business going and raising a feisty 9 year old.
    Your "snacks" are a meal. I'm 6'2" 170 and although I know I'm on the skinny side your daily caloric intake would be me bulking. Weight loss is a simple calories in/out equation.