Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    No munchies here. Good thing, too, considering how often I smoke.

If I'm drinking I don't get hungry either. I just get more thirsty. Hence I needed to cut that shit way way back.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Before I turned 40, I had some persistent lower back problems. I saw a physiatrist on referral. By the time I saw him, my back issues had calmed down for the time being. The physiatrist recommended the new (at the time) Starrett book, Ready to Run. Focus is on shoe choice, foot health, and exercises to improve running biomechanics and mobility, with the goal/concept that running should/can be something that we do, injury free, into old age. The book and its exercises have been helpful for me.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm a former college XC runner, but had to quit due to chronic knee pain. I can do anything else - long hikes, snowboarding, cycling, just couldn't take the impact of running anymore. Would love to get back into it, I will check out that book.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Clearly you are not in the league I was in... Starting with liquid lunch then past fuck dinner deep in to the twilight hours of non stop drinking and partying had me down to about a buck o five before I quit booze. I'm now a stout 170..
    Just a reminder that this thread is about athleticism. I'm doubting that at 105, and a diet that consisted of alcohol, you were all that athletic, and instead probably very, very skinny fat.

^ lol and true

the tgrs bursting memories of feigned athleticism! SJG was a world class athlete but the couch and bong rips were too alluring
    Last edited by DBdude; 08-05-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Just a reminder that this thread is about athleticism.
    Occasionally. Mostly it's about making excuses for letting yourself go.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Occasionally. Mostly it's about making excuses for letting yourself go.
    "I used to be cool, but I'm old and fat now."

Ya know, only one of those things is inevitable....

47 now and it ain’t so bad. A little slower than I was at 25, but a hell of a lot smarter. Make fewer mistakes, ski and surf smarter, and you will still be out getting the goods.

I used to tumble off cliffs a hell of a lot more in my 30s. Now I stick almost all of them. Might not go quite as big, but who gives a fuck. I go better.

Surf wise, I tend to stick more of my drops, get barreled more and make more of my waves through to the end. My drops are not as late, and my turns not as critical, but the waves are just as heavy.

So, not sure if performance has dropped. Might not be quite as quick, agile or strong, but still getting after it and having a blast. Makes me think this shit will still be a blast in my 50s.

Oh, and I put less crap into my body, so maybe that is the leveling out part.

stationary cycle 40 min, 90-95rpm, hr @ 130+ for last 30 min, circuit train 45 low weight high rep, off to play 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Meh, I lose weight when I'm injured or sick (disclaimer: not 40 yet). Eat a whole food-based diet, throw in a 5/2 or alternate-day fasting regimen and just try to get fat.

So yeah, the guy who isn't 40 chiming in on the over 40 thread about how easy it is to stay fit. Kindly blow it out your ass dan the fucking man.

And yeah, I've never been out of shape. I've been up and down in fitness levels but within 10-15lbs my entire life. But I can relate to people who have struggled. Maybe when you grow up you will as well.

Athletic performance in your 40s?

For me, the struggle is the life balance of everything and hating to workout indoors. Lately, I’ve been focusing on more sleep. I used to get very little sleep and was often is an high energy charging mode and something g an exhausted mode. After hearing/reading enough about how detrimental long term sleep deprivation, I’m changing my ways. Currently in rehab from a torn meniscus, which has grounded me and floored me for several months. It’s been challenging excepting that I need to workout indoors in a more controlled environment to rehab the knee enough where I can play outside again in ways that I love.

Is this the thread for the "my shit don't stink" circle jerk? Can I get an order of "I am in great shape and you're a loser if you're not"? With a side of sanctimony, please?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So yeah, the guy who isn't 40 chiming in on the over 40 thread about how easy it is to stay fit. Kindly blow it out your ass dan the fucking man.
    Easy to stay fit? Nah, that's hard no matter how you slice it. Not getting fat is decidedly different. They are often conflated, but not the same.

ETA: To be clear, I am not making some kind of BMI-based moral judgement against anyone. I am merely pointing out that at the mechanistic level getting and staying unfat is a pretty simple and easy prescription. People on an alternate-day fasting protocol can eat basically whatever the hell they want on their eat days and still lose weight (many, many studies demonstrating this), and on the fast days have to commit zero time/effort/money to food.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-05-2019 at 03:34 PM.

At 40 I was just finishing up the last marriage, after living in the city and not not getting out much I thing moved narth, started back skiing /paddling/biking and got some injuries because i wasnt 25 anymore

after bascily taking the 30's off to do the family thing I did gain it back over the next 10 yars and the mid 50's where pretty good but definatley slowing down in the 60's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Is this the thread for the "my shit don't stink" circle jerk? Can I get an order of "I am in great shape and you're a loser if you're not"? With a side of sanctimony, please?
    Sure. Anger sauce on the side or right on top?

smothered with anger sauce. please and thank you.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    smothered with anger sauce. please and thank you.
    Be careful with that stuff. It is full of crap that'll make you fat.

fuck, now you tell me.

Not giving a fuck is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "I used to be cool, but I'm old and fat now."

Ya know, only one of those things is inevitable....
    Being cool?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Word

Too much coffee fucks with sleep, too much beer makes you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Being cool?

Step 1: Eliminate the ninnies and the twits.

^Amazing how often Devo nails shit.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This.

"We always liked Picasso anyways"