Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yep, you need a consistent metric. I have a cycling buddy who's 5 years younger than me who put down a pretty fast time on a local Strava climb 6 years ago. I chase that in the summers and got within 5% (21 minutes vs 20 minutes) last summer, but I think it will take a spring+summer of concerted effort if I want to actually match or beat that time.
    I spent a good deal of time in my 30's pursuing the concepts of PR. There is really no hiding from it: if you want to be faster, then you have to try and be faster, ideally at least once a week.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    regret swimming?
    I know a few people who are swimming more now, because of the low impact it has on your body plus the breathing
    Oh yeah, I regret year round swimming as a kid instead of playing more baseball, golf, tennis, etc. I'm happy with the result of my general fitness and swim all the time now. Never will I swim Masters. All that down time.

i laughed - i am fat and sitting in front of a computer. lol - still play different silly activities- can't get out of my own way on the tennis court - who cares... i have fun and if a fat old bastard like me can move around - so can you! have at it pencil neck geeks of tgr!

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    i laughed - i am fat and sitting in front of a computer. lol - still play different silly activities- can't get out of my own way on the tennis court - who cares... i have fun and if a fat old bastard like me can move around - so can you! have at it pencil neck geeks of tgr!
    Very easy to get hurt playing tennis.

my wrist and elbow are sore and my knee gets sore - it's so much fun

I’m jealous of my friends who swam when they were young and their nice pink, thick cartilage.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

knee pain is a drag. this year is the first year for me of knee pain at 54. I am hoping it doesn't get worse quickly and I can increase my core strength and endurance and keep on having fun playing.

if I were to buy one thing to increase my core strength, would it be a medicine ball or maybe hand weights?

any good sites for mildly active but out of shape dentists?

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    knee pain is a drag. this year is the first year for me of knee pain at 54. I am hoping it doesn't get worse quickly and I can increase my core strength and endurance and keep on having fun playing.

if I were to buy one thing to increase my core strength, would it be a medicine ball or maybe hand weights?

any good sites for mildly active but out of shape dentists?
    Olympic style weight lifting is the most efficient in my experience.

oy

that does not sound fun and I don't want to go to a gym

i saw some exercises at the mayo diet clinic site. i think i will try that and work on some portion control - laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I spent a good deal of time in my 30's pursuing the concepts of PR. There is really no hiding from it: if you want to be faster, then you have to try and be faster, ideally at least once a week.
    I'm far from competitive but I've been getting up Si or similar hikes at least once a week this summer. After the first hike I checked my time and figured I could beat it, been pushing that time down all summer. I feel like I have that bug again after a few years of not caring.

How's the recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Never will I swim Masters. All that down time.
    You mean masters meets? They really aren't bad. The small local meets usually only take a few hours. Nationals, of course, has lots of down time, but you're traveling just to swim so I don't feel like it gets that boring. I'll just go back to my hotel and chill if I've got hours between events. That said, I swim far fewer meets now than I used to. A few per year is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You mean masters meets? They really aren't bad. The small local meets usually only take a few hours. Nationals, of course, has lots of down time, but you're traveling just to swim so I don't feel like it gets that boring. I'll just go back to my hotel and chill if I've got hours between events. That said, I swim far fewer meets now than I used to. A few per year is plenty.
    You’re a champ though. I’m pool filler.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You’re a champ though. I’m pool filler.
    Hey, someone's got to fill those outside lanes.

If your knee is starting to hurt, visit my website @ buckleyourfuckingbootstighter.com

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I was just always trying to go so hard I didn't really look around and enjoy it. Has overall output slowed? probably... But still fit enough to have more well-rounded uninjured fun now, that's all that matters. Maybe just telling myself this cause I can't go back, but I definitely feel more balanced (?) now than 20's or 30's. At least for now, I'm really happy with my 40's performance.

If 20's me skied with 40's me, he'd be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    A little slower than I was at 25, but a hell of a lot smarter. Make fewer mistakes, ski and surf smarter, and you will still be out getting the goods.
    Makes me think this shit will still be a blast in my 50s.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Kindly blow it out your ass dan the fucking man.
    haha! Out loud. Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm far from competitive but I've been getting up Si or similar hikes at least once a week this summer. After the first hike I checked my time and figured I could beat it, been pushing that time down all summer. I feel like I have that bug again after a few years of not caring.
    Hope I haven't been slowing ya down.

After watching a bunch of young fuckers flailing at the rope swing at my local lake I swam over and proceeded to drop back flips like it was nothing. Swam back to the boat and popped a beer, put on my straw hat and sunblock ‘cause this old dude ain’t gettin no skin cancer. Pretty sure I showed them.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Hope I haven't been slowing ya down.
    Not at all. Just starting to feel like I'm too focused on the same hikes

I just think of Si, Tenerife and Mailbox (in addition to Cougar Cuntry) as the hiking equivalent of banging out laps on Nash. But yeah, going further afield would be prudent before the season is over.

I figure Mt Si is worth doing no more than once per decade.

Hey, someone's got to fill those outside lanes.
    Well that was just mean. Funny. But mean.

I figure Mt Si is worth doing no more than once per decade.

When the trailhead is 2 miles from your office, that changes. There are far worse places to go to get some fresh air and exercise after work.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    When the trailhead is 2 miles from your office, that changes. There are far worse places to go to get some fresh air and exercise after work.
    I agree- after a hard days work it's often tough to motivate so if it's right there and easy, all the better for maintaining fitness and sanity.
    Our comparable is Snow King, which is the hike highway (but savior) of many a jackson office dwellers.
    little over 2miles one way/ 1600 vertical so a nice bang for the buck
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Well that was just mean. Funny. But mean.
    The thing is, top swimmers need some chum. The sport is so hard it’s impossible to train alone. You need the support.

I always found racing really stressful too. All that work concentrated into a few seconds or minutes.