Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Rather than inflicting repeated pain and sadness, whenever my mom asks for the 934974209374th time where my father (or anyone else who is no longer with us) I just make up some bullshit story. I usually tell her dad is deployed on some military exercise keeping us safe. He retired from the military in the 70s but she still thinks we're all in the military... always wanting to take us to The Officer's Club for dinner and stuff. I've found white lies are way less disruptive than the sad truth when it comes to people not living in the present themselves..
    Big controversy in the dementia world is whether to go along with delusions, like you're doing, or try to get people back to reality. I think I'm with you. Dementia scares the piss out of me. I guess literally, if it happens. Now back to our regularly scheduled bragging about how fit we are, or think we are. Seems like a trivial subject to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia. Even worse for synthetic diet sugars.
    Every equal sign in your equation is correlation at best, and not the causation you are implying.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Here's a nice summary of the evidence regarding the effects of sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages on the brain.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5468791/

I think its addicting the less sugar I used the less sugar i wanted

I have just stopped using it and lost the taste/ craving for sugar

I don't really like sugar anymore
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a nice summary of the evidence regarding the effects of sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages on the brain.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5468791/
    Far too lazy. Summary? You know you want too...

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Sure.
    It's complicated

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    "Both sugar- and artificially- sweetened soft drinks may be hard on the brain."

"Further studies are needed."

Alcohol, on the other hand ..... oh wait, it's a sugar too.

Well fuck it.

God I love sugar. That cane sugar mountain dew is tits.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    God I love sugar. That cane sugar mountain dew gives you tits.
    FIFY

giving up sugar was way easier than when i quit heroin

sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages on the brain
    I still haven't seen compelling evidence that sugar is causally the problem. I fully believe that obesity is one of the worst possible states for a number of health markers, and that obesity coupled with low activity levels absolutely ravages the human body. So I get frustrated when sugar is demonized (the same way fat was demonized 35 years ago, dietary cholesterol was demonized 25 years ago, and carbs were demonized 10 years ago).

Sugar seems to be well-tolerated in many healthy-weight individuals; as is dietary fat, dietary cholesterol, salt, carbohydrates, artificial sweeteners, etc. If you want to pick a bad guy, obesity (and by proxy: excess calories and sedentary lifestyles) is your supervillain.

But yeah, it's complicated.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

A lot of obese people so do ya think sugar might be a cause of obesity ?

sugar is good for you
    it's my main dietary suppliment
    the trick is to keep consuming sugar all day constantly so you don't crash

I have experimented with obtaining 100% of my calories from alcoholic beverages. I didnt gain weight, but I felt like death after day 4 and would not recommend this diet. YMMV.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I have experimented with obtaining 100% of my calories from alcoholic beverages. I didnt gain weight, but I felt like death after day 4 and would not recommend this diet. YMMV.
    You don't gain any weight doing that before your 40s..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    You don't gain any weight doing that before your 40s..
    I was 46.

The only sugar I consume is in fruit and beer.

You just can’t waste it on anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    The idea of abstaining from fruit on health grounds strikes me as completely misguided. Same goes for banana cream pie.
    Banana cream pie has 3 of the 4 food groups. Pizza OTOH has all of them, unless you consider a pizza without pepperoni to be a pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A lot of obese people so do ya think sugar might be a cause of obesity ?
    No. Excess calories lead to obesity, whether those calories come from protein, fat, or carbs (including sugar). In fact, since fat is more calorie dense than carbs, you could make a sound argument that fat is more to blame. But for most folks, it's about a 50/50 mix of fat and carbs.

Very few people enjoy eating plain carbs (ex: flour), very few people enjoy eating plain sugar (ex: table sugar), and very few people enjoy eating plain fat (ex: butter); it's usually the mix of fat, sugar, and carbs that people are "addicted" to (ex: cookies). More than one person has called the mix of fat and sugar a "caloric speedball" for the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    No. Excess calories lead to obesity, whether those calories come from protein, fat, or carbs (including sugar). In fact, since fat is more calorie dense than carbs, you could make a sound argument that fat is more to blame. But for most folks, it's about a 50/50 mix of fat and carbs.

Very few people enjoy eating plain carbs (ex: flour), very few people enjoy eating plain sugar (ex: table sugar), and very few people enjoy eating plain fat (ex: butter); it's usually the mix of fat, sugar, and carbs that people are "addicted" to (ex: cookies). More than one person has called the mix of fat and sugar a "caloric speedball" for the brain.
    Don't forget salt.

NVery few people enjoy eating plain carbs (ex: flour), very few people enjoy eating plain sugar (ex: table sugar), and very few people enjoy eating plain fat (ex: butter); it's usually the mix of fat, sugar, and carbs that people are "addicted" to (ex: cookies). More than one person has called the mix of fat and sugar a "caloric speedball" for the brain.
    " Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, said that academic conflict-of-interest rules had changed significantly since the 1960s, but that the industry papers were a reminder of “why research should be supported by public funding rather than depending on industry funding.”

Dr. Willett said the researchers had limited data to assess the relative risks of sugar and fat. “Given the data that we have today, we have shown the refined carbohydrates and especially sugar-sweetened beverages are risk factors for cardiovascular disease, but that the type of dietary fat is also very important,” he said. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/w...me-to-fat.html

if you believe this ^^ back in the 60's the big sugar lobby paid off scientists to blame Fat so people ate low fat/high sugar foods but its accepted science nowdays that eating some fat is not what makes you fat,

if you read the article ^^ it is talking about sugar causing coronary heart disease,

So I wonder if that is due to Obesity ?

Moderation is probably the key cuz there is nothing wrong with 1 cookie its eating half the pack in one go, so does sugar make people do that ?

here is some Big Sugar for ya ^^ Canadian eh was a big part of the Canadian music scene

Unfortunatley the rastamon who was a big part of the bands sound succumbed to cancer fairly young ... don't know if it was due to sugar
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-12-2019 at 10:22 AM.

all calories are not the same. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2016110410602

Don't forget salt.
    Can't forget the sault, this hook is stuck in my head.

don't waste my time
    Please don't waste my time
    I ain't got time
    Don't care what you say
    Nothing in your brain feels like mine

Yep. Read Michael Polin’s books. Fascinating.

Also, I love salt.