Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    I like the nibs idea. Might incorporate a little better than dark chocolate.

I had a way overpriced smoothie at the overpriced juice place recently. It was Brazil nut milk, cocoa powder, peppermint oil, coconut oil, dates, and salt. It was delicious and would be really easy to make at home, though I think I'd sub in some almond milk.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm a Celiac so had to figure out an easy, cheap gluten free fuel system for workouts.

For shorter 1-2 hour hikes/bike rides preload with a few spoonfulls of dates soaked in maple syrup.
    For longer hiking days or full day winter ski touring missions, preload with the dates/maple syrup, reload every hour with the same. Add peanut butter to the mix and gulp a bit down every few hours for the fat and protein.

The dates/maple syrup/peanut butter combo makes a pretty good post shorter hike/ski tour outing recovery snack...tastes good and sweet. Seems to stick to the ribs enough to stave off starvation till the next real meal. Cheap and super easy.

Name:  P1110574.JPG
Views: 1350
Size:  230.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Athletic performance in your 40s?

I’m well into my 40’s and have been able to completely overhaul my physical condition through diet, IF, (not 7 days a wk), lifting and conditioning. Very little in the way of exercise based cardio unless it is for fun, (skinning, hiking). I suppose I go for a short trail run from time to time.
    Anyway, I am skiing better both up and down, hiking faster and farther without feeling exhausted as quick and participating in sports with my kids that I steered clear of a couple years ago in fear of hurting myself.

Things just hurt and ache more now.
    Last edited by schwerty; 08-27-2019 at 07:52 AM.

a succesful day is nothing more than bong hit, banana and bagel, the three b's keep you moving throw in some coffee and you have a hippie speedball ready to roll

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I'm a Celiac so had to figure out an easy, cheap gluten free fuel system for workouts.

For shorter 1-2 hour hikes/bike rides preload with a few spoonfulls of dates soaked in maple syrup.
    For longer hiking days or full day winter ski touring missions, preload with the dates/maple syrup, reload every hour with the same. Add peanut butter to the mix and gulp a bit down every few hours for the fat and protein.

The dates/maple syrup/peanut butter combo makes a pretty good post shorter hike/ski tour outing recovery snack...tastes good and sweet. Seems to stick to the ribs enough to stave off starvation till the next real meal. Cheap and super easy.

Name:  P1110574.JPG
Views: 1350
Size:  230.3 KB
    I'm sure this tastes better than it looks, but Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm sure this tastes better than it looks, but Jesus...
    lol, I hear ya.

Looks more appealing in the winter ski touring form. Chop up the dates, add maple syrup and peanut butter, melt it all together in a frying pan, make little spring rolls out of it with rice paper and chop the roll up into bite sized chunks. Great for ski touring and cold weather where cool temps keep the works from melting into messy globs of the constituents.

Name:  46348663_1181710818634920_2689660124510814208_n.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  77.4 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    a succesful day is nothing more than bong hit, banana and bagel, the three b's keep you moving throw in some coffee and you have a hippie speedball ready to roll
    Yet another useless post from you in this thread. Are you just lacking attention or what?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just posting to say I went for my first run as a 40 year old yesterday and recovered just fine. I think it's safe to say we can close the thread now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yet another useless post from you in this thread. Are you just lacking attention or what?

Right? Totally wiffed his 3B's by leaving out Bacon and BJ's.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Just saw this story in the NYTimes today: "Aerobic Fitness May Trump Strength for Metabolic Health"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/w...ic-health.html

Probably true but personally, I believe strength training to maintain bone and muscle mass is far more important in later years. As the study says:

"The research involved only healthy, young, male Finns, though, and does not show that endurance changed people’s metabolomes, but only that their fitness and metabolites were linked."

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Probably true but personally, I believe strength training to maintain bone and muscle mass is far more important in later years.
    Of course it is, but that wasn't what the study was attempting to determine. Bottom line is it's probably best to do a little of both.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Of course it is, but that wasn't what the study was attempting to determine. Bottom line is it's probably best to do a little of both.
    You absolutely need to do both. I was definitely pushing the importance of strength training earlier in the thread, but didn't mean to imply you could ignore aerobic endurance. The point was more that IME people seem more inclined to do aerobic exercise than lift weights, which is great, but it doesn't slow down the inevitable post-40 loss of muscle mass, bone density and T/HGH production the way strength training does.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

being a specimin of althetic greatness in my forties I feel compeled to give away free advice
    eating right is for the birds
    budesonide is a starter androgel gel is another one
    don't be afraid

What's the secret to a healthy and beautiful body at the age of 40? does anyone know?))

I didn’t find any significant drop off in performance through my 40’s, by just doing all the right things but not being obsessive about it (except for skiing of course). Into my early 50’s, and no matter what I do, all sorts of random stuff (endurance, alcohol tolerance, eye-sight, teeth, libido, assorted tendons) just doesn’t work like it once did, and I’m having to regularly reassess my expectations accordingly.

40s? Pffft. You're all going to be really whiney bitches in ten and twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDerden View Post
    What's the secret to a healthy and beautiful body at the age of 40? does anyone know?))
    I'm sure you'd spam us with the secret if we let you. Buh-bye.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

One good thing about this bump is I got to reread a couple old fastfred posts.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I didn’t find any significant drop off in performance through my 40’s, by just doing all the right things but not being obsessive about it (except for skiing of course). Into my early 50’s, and no matter what I do, all sorts of random stuff (endurance, alcohol tolerance, eye-sight, teeth, libido, assorted tendons) just doesn’t work like it once did, and I’m having to regularly reassess my expectations accordingly.
    If you don't notice any drop off in athletic performance in your 40's, you were shit in your 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDerden View Post
    Sends pics of your wife's tits and I'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    40s? Pffft. You're all going to be really whiney bitches in ten and twenty years.
    Excited to hear there's at least one thing in which I can look forward to improved performance as I age!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you don't notice any drop off in athletic performance in your 40's, you were shit in your 20's.
    Some are late bloomers.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Or just discovered life off the couch and bar stool late.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Benny, once again forecast that others will become the twat he is in the future. Keep hoping bro. They will still be running laps around you and stoked on life cause we are not all sour pusses.