Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Iím in the best shape of my life outside of college swimming days. Workout 6 days of week. Either gym/weights, boxing or swimming 2-3k each day. Flexibility/injury avoidance on high alert. Lots of hip flexor movements, trans lateral cable pull downs for back work, and of course ,
    Diet.

Pulling chics 10-15 yrs younger, or trying to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A swimmer.....
    I'm sure you were well behaved, a great guy, rarely drank
    Unlike the average swimmer who was nothing short of a crazy person

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    A swimmer.....
    I'm sure you were well behaved, a great guy, rarely drank
    Unlike the average swimmer who was nothing short of a crazy person

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Swimming is just pain in a sensory depravation tank. What do you expect?

Cono is a centrum silver ad

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

As long as you have the VO2max to accomplish all that you're fit.
    Every checked your heart rate while jerking off?
    jerking off and wearing a hr monitor is just plain wrong, kind of wacko
    on the other hand wearing one and boning some chick is just fine
    when I was all into HR numbers and racing I used to wear one and have sex just cause I was all into the numbers, always try to see if I could break 180, it was pretty hard to do
    this chick I raced with wore her HR monitor a couple times during sex too, so we would compare notes, she said it didn't really get her hr up that high, I just mentioned that she was just laying there and probably not doing too much

and go talk to your doctor
    pretend you have low T, get some drugs
    inhalers, other topical steroid creams anything
    don't worry about the side effects and your "performance" in your 40's and 50's will be stellar

I suppose getting fat and out of shape in your mid to late 20's pretty much starts the downhill slide
    finding time and the desire to exercise is pretty hard
    but once you start you can post all about your walking biking swimming and eating healthy habits online and feel good about yourself until you give up in three weeks

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I just mentioned that she was just laying there and probably not doing too much
    You mean you didn't tell her she was doing it wrong?

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Thatís well said. Itís not natural to put yourself through 100k a week in the pool, and only the craziest runners come close to the same level of self punishment.

I actually sometimes look at my entire life, career etc and think that ability was not always the best asset. Made me always choose punish myself somehow. You canít do that forever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    that's why swimmers are all crazy
    never saw so much hazing, physical abuse, fighting, taping people to locker room benches naked and leaving them there for hours, dumping ben gay all over their nuts, and this was all amongst ourselves, drug use and alcoholics, one guy I know would gets stoned before practice every day in high school, used to see who would throw up first at 7am saturday morning practices, hold people underwater until near drowning, punches to the face, bloody noses and you'd never get out of the pool blood everywhere, if we could control ourselves for one whole week and behave and listen our reward was to play water polo on fridays, it was the hardest thing to do I think we failed at getting that reward over half the time, not sure how no one drowned or lost an eye and we were one of the best teams year after year in our conference and section , 20 - 30 hrs a week in a pool as kid was fucked

But you were damn buff, right?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

just to be clear as opposed to just swimming ^^ this was water polo ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ageism.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	290142
    "knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"

Swimmers are fucked people.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    The key is not getting fat in the first place.
    Agree, but much easier said than done in a lot of cases. Throw in a serious injury, illness, disease, raising a family, caring for your parents, and the list goes on. And for women, throw in carrying around and extra 30-40 lbs for 9 months that wreaks havoc on your body, dropping a kid out and then caring for it 24/7. Fuck! They have it way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Agree, but much easier said than done in a lot of cases. Throw in a serious injury, illness, disease, raising a family, caring for your parents, and the list goes on. And for women, throw in carrying around and extra 30-40 lbs for 9 months that wreaks havoc on your body, dropping a kid out and then caring for it 24/7. Fuck! They have it way worse.
    And giving up the cigarettes and nicotine vape and other chemicals that keep young people thin.. Giving up the happy hour drinking that leads to that "fuck dinner" dieting. It's so much easier to stay thin when you're young and single..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

In the end it's probably healthier to be thin and full of chemicals than it is to be fat and clean. Certainly more fun. YMMV.

I mean smoking cigarettes has to go but nicotine? nah. Some weed, some nicotine, some caffeine, some carefully administered alcohol, and repeat.

Along with the actual positive shit of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And giving up the cigarettes and nicotine vape and other chemicals that keep young people thin.. Giving up the happy hour drinking that leads to that "fuck dinner" dieting. It's so much easier to stay thin when you're young and single..
    Wait, you eat less when you drink? I eat anything that isn't nailed down.

Mid-40s, just got my ass handed to me trying to kiteboard today. Been snowkiting for years, first time out on water. Lasted for 2 hrs, a decade ago I would give'er for 5. Still plenty strong, but tire out a bit faster and am a bit more cautious than i used to be.

Was going to do a 31 mile trail run next week, but my IT band has a different opinion. Only part of me that has really changed is that these days I listen to the pain instead of push through it - much more important to be able to keep doing things than to do any specific activity. Also helps that my spouse is in better shape, so I keep in shape simply to keep up with her.

Somehow I stayed thin
    while the other guys got fat.

21 yrs nicotine free.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I like naps.
    watch out for snakes

In a weird way I think it helped me that I got pretty hurt skiing in 7th grade. I was never a particularly skinny kid, and then after I got hurt I basically ate Sara Lee cakes out of the freezer and watched TV for about 5 months and I got pretty fat. Once I realized it (thanks Dad!), and lost the weight, I was always conscious of it from then on out. It's just never been completely out of my mind.

so many skinny kids just get fatter and more out of shape every year until they die, never believing they -they!- could be nasty tubs of lard and that they need to do something.

I fell off a train at 18, landing on my coccyx and broke both wrists. The back injury wasnít evident and didnít show itself until my mid 20ís. Looking back at the last 35 years of skiing; it has never been pain free. Looking beyond the 35 years, it still wasnít pain free. Your feet were frozen or your boots hurt or hands were cold, your ass and hams were wet, under/overdressed. You just lived with it. It wasnít as easy to get dialed as it is today.

Not much different than the last 180+ posts - focusing on what ails you, cardio (anaerobic & aerobic); musculature; skeletalÖ whatever is currently in the way. If nothing ails you then youíre probably focused on what you consider to be your weaknesses.

For those of you not in the know, there is not much of me that is still in its original form. I have had a long time to measure how to overcome everything that has gotten in my way. There are no short cuts around fitness and nutrition.

At 61, I donít feel that my skiing has diminished in the least. Itís actually gotten better because my maintenance routines are more skier specific than they were in the past and experience is a great teacher.

Iíve lost 2.625Ē in height and 20lbs of mass to age. After the adjustment period (15 years or so), itís like working with a completely different set of parameters. A more compact package that is easier to develop angles. Iím lighter on my feet, there is less mass to move, my balance has improved Ė itís more finite. I have lost no reaction time -> directly related to nutrition.
    Loss of some vision at 38 and itís dynamic, but nothing that a prescription lens doesnít fix. Some night vision has been lost. Itís more about glare than penetration.

Some elasticity loss Ė the pain to gain is greater.

The one element thatís been glaringly obvious is adaptation to elevation. Iíve never had a permanent address more than 1200íamsl. In my twenties, thirties and forties, I would just go hard until I spit up some blood or pass out and then put in a rest day. So, good conditioning and 72hrs at AGL and I would be at least at 85%. Not anymore and I havenít figured a way around it yet. Well, other than moving.

To motivation and allowing down time; not to much that getting back at it is a big push either.

Itís about what gets in your way again (Kids/house/job/family/friends). Itís mostly about time management. It doesnít take a whole 90min to burn an extra 300 calories a day. Iím that much more proficient throughout my day that makes for the time I took away and the ache at the end of the day is nowhere near as personally debilitating. Just because you can endure it doesnít mean you should.

Although Iím still hurting all the time from recovery. Itís better than having the aches, quakes, twitches, popcorn, joint slips, acute burns, numbness, twitches and whatnot that goes with swimming in your injuries. Bouts with bursitis are harder to get through than arthritis and diet has an impact on being able to dictate at will through these obstacles.

We all fall into patterns. Iím at the bottom of my annual wave path. Much more consistent in the last 15 years than years prior - not as intense either.

BFRT is in my future Ė nice drop kids

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    I fell off a train at 18, landing on my coccyx and broke both wrists.
    You landed on your ass and broke both wrists. Huh. I mean I believe it but still it makes one wonder wtf.

I
    At 61...
    Now I'm listening. I woulda figured 7-8 years younger than that, for sure. Maybe even 10.

Physically, I mean

Although I’m still hurting all the time from recovery...
    I'm always sore. My whole life I'm sore. Part of it is how fucked my hips are but a lot of it is, if you're gonna work it, it's gonna hurt tomorrow.

I stay off the vitamin I and just deal with it but Splat's cream definitely helps. I don't know what the magic in it is, but it works. Not 100% and some times better than others, but I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...it makes one wonder wtf.
    Standing on the corner of a flatbed car - doublefisting a chain binder and fell to my back onto the gravel siding. Broke both wrists trying to lessen the impact of falling backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Physically, I mean
    it's all fly by wire