Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Bumping...I’m well into my 40s and this year I’ve gained weight that I am having a really hard time getting rid of. I’m not into the diet trends but does anyone have links or advice on reworking my nutrition so I can lose about 2 lbs a week? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bumping...I’m well into my 40s and this year I’ve gained weight that I am having a really hard time getting rid of. I’m not into the diet trends but does anyone have links or advice on reworking my nutrition so I can lose about 2 lbs a week? Thanks in advance.
    Calorie tracker app.

Quit drinking

Not nutrition advice....cuz I’ve cut out a lot of stuff...so I don’t recommend to anyone else.....so I say...

Run.....once I got into my 40’s I find it’s something that works for “me”. Have always been athletic, but flat out running/training for long runs/marathons has kept me sane.

You can definitely drop 2 lbs. a week running a 5mi/day program...with a long run on Sundays.....try it for a month and see how it goes.

“Legs feed the wolf”

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Quit drinking
    I’ve been dry for 5 months and haven’t lost a pound. Fucking pisses me off.

You obviously werent drinking enough before

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    You obviously werent drinking enough before
    Apparently

Apparently
    Lift weights.

Do high intensity interval workouts.

Don’t drink anything with calories (except alcohol. Let’s not be crazy here.)

Eat more vegetables.

Eat only at meals.

That’ll work.

I’ve been dry for 5 months and haven’t lost a pound. Fucking pisses me off.
    Vibes. Could try changing workouts to shock metabolism if you’re doing same thing.

IME you probably won't lose any weight if you are already at a normal weight on the BMI

stopping drinking for 6 months sharpened my head but I didn't lose any weight cuz i was already at a normal weight

diving off the wagon literally with a beer in each hand had no effect on weight

I stayed at the same 160-162 lb which is normal for 5'8"

fuck I don't even remember the 40's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Keto and intermittent fasting did the trick for me. YMMV.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So . . . .

“Athletic performance” is a euphemism

There’s a little blue pill for that
    . . .

Calorie tracking with consistent exercise (weights/cardio) has me down 13# in last 2 months. Myfitnesspal is the app I've been using. I never drank and don't drink calories. Still looking to drop final 5#, but confident it will come. Consistency is the key. First time I've had a near 6 pack in my life at 46yo.

Quit stuffing shit in yer face-hole, pretty fucking simple.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Butters

2nd run. 5m day long sunday pretty exteme, personally I've stuck to an honest 15-20 mile / week & tennis (4.0) since mid-30s and been fairly successful; gained an aggregate of 20lb since high school. But then 6-2 155 was no way to go through life.

Pro tip. you got no idea how easy you got it. past 55 gets much harder.
    "Can't you see..."

Athletic performance in your 40s?

I’m 49 and I hit my college swimming weight last yr. 190, 6’4”. No booze is worth 10 lbs and cutting out the shit food is another 10 lbs. (I’m back up now).

I’ve notice my flexibility has gone to shit the last few yrs. I got back in the pool after a yr and it was really slow to get my stroke back. Even when I was really fat and out of shape 10 yrs ago I could jump back in and bang out 3000 yards and feel good. Not so much now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is what has worked for me. Down from 212 lbs in August to 162. I had poor eating habits in that I would never eat breakfast, sometimes skip lunch and then eat all evening long because I was hungry. Disaster for blood sugar.

Changes: Quit drinking, counted calories, 2000 a day, lots of water. Started eating regular meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eliminated fast digesting carbs. Only an opinion, but I feel once my body got used to being always fueled it quit storing fat. By eating a lower cal diet without fast digesting sugars my body started burning fat for energy when needed.

Lost weight at your 2 lb a week target. Didn't really add a lot of exercise, but what I did do was turn the tv off and just stay busy all day. Also, try to eliminate or mitigate the stress in your life. This is where exercise can help and staying busy.

Once my body started losing weight it just continued just by following the above habits. Starting in Feb I had lost enough weight that I had to start dialing up the intake just in order to maintain weight. Went to 2300 calories, then 2600, and now I'm at around 3000 calories a day to maintain my weight.

Maybe I'm lucky, but it wasn't very hard once I made the lifestyle changes. Saw my Doctor in April and all my blood work had trended back to normal. Now no longer considered pre-diabetic, but that's why it has to be a lifestyle change.

Good luck!

2 pounds/week is a very aggressive target. Certainly doable but the weight loss produced by intense dieting and exercise is rarely sustained. You're more likely to succeed with a program you can sustain for life. Figuring out how to increase activity during non-exercise periods is one important step. Figuring out how to reduce non-meal calories is another.
    I'm at the same weight I was 40 years ago. Unfortunately 40 years ago I was overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ya think? Go to the gym, pick up a 30 lb dumbbell, then carry that fucker around 24/7 and see how life treats you.
    Um. he is. Every day.

I’m not into the diet trends but does anyone have links or advice on reworking my nutrition so I can lose about 2 lbs a week?
    What do you eat now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I had poor eating habits in that I would never eat breakfast, sometimes skip lunch and then eat all evening long because I was hungry. Disaster for blood sugar.
    There is tons of evidence that calories eaten in the evening are more fattening than calories eaten earlier in the day. This video series lays it out in detail:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat...o-lose-weight/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/bre...like-a-pauper/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat...n-the-evening/

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Only an opinion, but I feel once my body got used to being always fueled it quit storing fat. By eating a lower cal diet without fast digesting sugars my body started burning fat for energy when needed.
    First sentence has no basis in scientific fact that I'm aware of. The second does, and is related to the interaction between insulin and something called hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL). HSL is the enzyme that mobilizes stored fats. It is inhibited by insulin. When insulin is high it is physiologically impossible to metabolize stored body fat. Eating lots of highly-processed fast-digesting carbs leads to chronically elevated insulin, which leads to chronically suppressed HSL, which results in being unable to access stored fat calories.

Further, processed foods screw up your body's entire hormonal response to food. Unprocessed diets lead to higher levels of the fullness hormone PYY and lower levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin, which results in spontaneously consuming hundreds of fewer calories each day when eating ad libitum: https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...19)30248-7.pdf

Now, at the risk of over-complicating things, all this goes out the window if you're trying to sustain and recover from high volumes of exercise. But, that's a discussion for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    2 pounds/week is a very aggressive target. Certainly doable but the weight loss produced by intense dieting and exercise is rarely sustained. You're more likely to succeed with a program you can sustain for life.
    This. You know why The Biggest Loser isn't on the air anymore? Because almost every single one of those people regained all the weight and often added some extra. Rapid weight loss leads to reduced basal metabolism which makes it harder to sustain: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ht-is-back-up/

And, yes, the changes you make need to be sustainable for life. You can't go on a diet, lose weight, then go back to your old habits and expect maintain your new weight--you will end up fatter than you started.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Figuring out how to increase activity during non-exercise periods is one important step.
    It is generally super easy to increase your daily caloric expenditure by hundreds of calories through NEAT:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12468415/
    https://blog.nasm.org/exercise-progr...ch-weight-loss

could you substitute a commute or shopping trip for two wheels or walking? sometimes a lifestyle change can make a difference.

good luck
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Um. he is. Every day.
    Yeah, but when it creeps up on you over time you don't notice it the same way, like boiling the frog. Adding it all at once makes you realize just how much weight that is. I did a little paver project at the house recently and was thinking about what being 50 lbs overweight must be like while schlepping around 0.5-ft3 bags of paver sand. I cannot imagine living like that 24/7.

Have been 50-60lbs overweight before, working for a startup, drinking a lot of soda, zero activity. Cured it by moving out west...the first weekend I was there, I asked somebody "what's with all the runners? Is there a race?" They just looked at me and said "it's Saturday in Boulder." Started riding again, hiking 14ers, proximity made it easy.

Recent helps:
    MyFitnessPal - links to Strava, automatically tells you how many carbs you can eat based on your activity and target weight
    Small bowl of yogurt + granola for breakfast really curbed any mid-morning snacking
    Salad (yes I said it) at lunch, I've been slacking at this during the pandemic even though I'm at my house
    Don't eat after dinner
    Running has been great recently for getting me out of the house
    MTB for mental health
    Have a foam/plastic roller and magnesium supplements on hand for muscle cramps, started happening after a long ride when I turned 40

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

This. You know why The Biggest Loser isn't on the air anymore? Because almost every single one of those people regained all the weight and often added some extra. Rapid weight loss leads to reduced basal metabolism which makes it harder to sustain: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ht-is-back-up/

And, yes, the changes you make need to be sustainable for life. You can't go on a diet, lose weight, then go back to your old habits and expect maintain your new weight--you will end up fatter than you started.

After a big operation people can't eat for at least a few days, have poor appetite for at least a week or two, and change their metabolism in order to heal from the surgery. As a result they usually lose a lot of weight for about 6 weeks, which is usually (hopefully) the last time I would see them. They would be pleased with the weight loss; I had to warn them that they would gain it back and then some. It happened to me too after my heart surgery. When you're starving, the body hangs on to every calorie you can get your hands on. The human body has not evolved to cope with unlimited food easily obtained.

Re NEAT--I love food, I love to eat. While I can definitely afford to lose some weight, I've been able to avoid becoming obese because I cannot sit still. I pace, I get up and down, I tap my foot, etc. Recently I've lost about 6 pounds even though I haven't been dieting and I've been slacking off on "exercise" because we live on a hill and I've been doing a lot of gardening an maintenance which usually involves lots of trips between the shed and the yard waste bins at the top of the hill and the garage at the bottom.

I’m 48 and have bounced back to shape a few times. I’m in the process right now. Spend 3-4 months lifting weights to progressively put on some muscle. Try to hit every muscle group equally. Eat normal during this stage. Try to take in a lot of protein. After you feel some muscle built up, drop calories per day to around 2,000. Keep up the high protein and keep lifting. Walking around will help burn as well. You may or may not lose weight, but fat will disappear pretty fast. Once you’re satisfied with the results, keep the routine up and up your calories to around 2,800-3,200 depending on your activity level.