Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 567
  1. #401
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,719
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Or a good imagination with a free internet porn assist
    '
    free internet porn assist
    what a great world we live in

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,132
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    What? Wrong. Let's go for a ski, mtn bike, or run and then you can tell me how my diet has negated my fitness level. Could I be in Buttah shape right now...sure, but I don't care to be. I'm plenty fit for my liking. 6' 170lbs.
    Fair enough, back to your regularly scheduled bitching.

  3. #403
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    414
    “Aging isn’t what makes your body go to hell, not training is what makes your body go to hell,” Jackson says. “Not having any goals that require physical prowess is a death sentence.”

    From the article here: https://www.outsideonline.com/239864...ackson-kayaker

    It's pretty helpful for me to make up reasons, have goals or commit to events to stay in shape. Fitness goes away pretty quickly nowadays (47) when I skip a few workouts. Having a workout partner helps me significantly with motivation to get out there.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    “Aging isn’t what makes your body go to hell, not training is what makes your body go to hell,” Jackson says. “Not having any goals that require physical prowess is a death sentence.”

    From the article here: https://www.outsideonline.com/239864...ackson-kayaker
    Yeah, well, he's only 55. Still a pup. At 55 I still believed I could do anything forever.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,256
    ^^^^^ Exactly. This thread is meaningless unless we start the following threads: A.P. in your 50s? 60s? 70s?
    When I hit 40, I actually planned to continue at the same level of athletic performance until I was 55, and then simply appreciate whatever was left from there on out; at 54 I decided I would be able to continue at least until my mid-60s ...... and then 55 happened. Turns out I was much smarter at 40 than at 54.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ^^^^^ Exactly. This thread is meaningless unless we start the following threads: A.P. in your 50s? 60s? 70s?
    When I hit 40, I actually planned to continue at the same level of athletic performance until I was 55, and then simply appreciate whatever was left from there on out; at 54 I decided I would be able to continue at least until my mid-60s ...... and then 55 happened. Turns out I was much smarter at 40 than at 54.
    Well that's depressing...

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,256
    As dementia sets in the depression goes away.

    Gallows humor.

    Yuk yuk.

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    As dementia sets in the depression goes away.
    Sig worthy!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    857
    I find biking and hiking as well as a regular work out routine has kept me in decent shape... the problem is with recovery if I go too hard. It takes 2,3,4 days to not hurt after a big day... stretching is boring and I know I should do it more, my savior had been rollers, in particular upper back, hip and calves with a RAD Roller... Colorado company that was up here for a trade show. Check em out.
    Last edited by Gcooker; 08-09-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    As dementia sets in the depression goes away.

    Gallows humor.

    Yuk yuk.
    Every once in a while I would come across someone who was very cheerfully demented. The families were not so cheerful though.

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    your quote is out of context
    I just wanted to paraphrase that line from Parks and Rec. I love that line. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but that string of episodes with Rob Lowe is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Every once in a while I would come across someone who was very cheerfully demented. The families were not so cheerful though.
    Yep, the people in my family and friend circles who suffer from dementia are usually terrified. It's often frightening when they're confused and their surroundings aren't making sense to them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Yep, the people in my family and friend circles who suffer from dementia are usually terrified. It's often frightening when they're confused and their surroundings aren't making sense to them..
    Agree, the great majority of people with dementia are frightened and confused. That's why it's odd when you come across someone who is blissfully unaware of their having a problem. I don't know if it's the nature of the changes in the brain that makes them that way or if it's their underlying personality before they became demented. But it is a small blessing, I guess.

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Agree, the great majority of people with dementia are frightened and confused. That's why it's odd when you come across someone who is blissfully unaware of their having a problem. I don't know if it's the nature of the changes in the brain that makes them that way or if it's their underlying personality before they became demented. But it is a small blessing, I guess.
    Rather than inflicting repeated pain and sadness, whenever my mom asks for the 934974209374th time where my father (or anyone else who is no longer with us) I just make up some bullshit story. I usually tell her dad is deployed on some military exercise keeping us safe. He retired from the military in the 70s but she still thinks we're all in the military... always wanting to take us to The Officer's Club for dinner and stuff. I've found white lies are way less disruptive than the sad truth when it comes to people not living in the present themselves..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,256
    Well hell; now I'm depressed.

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    5,406
    hey this is the athletic performance in your 40's thread, not the older than dirt and dying thread.

    dementia tip: High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia. Even worse for synthetic diet sugars.

    and maybe the most depressing song ever, for SJG's mom.

    Move upside and let the man go through...

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    hey this is the athletic performance in your 40's thread, not the older than dirt and dying thread.

    dementia tip: High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia. Even worse for synthetic diet sugars.
    I'll take sugar over CTE anyday... since we're talking about bad shit happening in our 40s.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,256
    If sugar's the problem I should have been screamingly demented by 30.

    Wait. Maybe I am. How would I know?!?!?

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Rather than inflicting repeated pain and sadness, whenever my mom asks for the 934974209374th time where my father (or anyone else who is no longer with us) I just make up some bullshit story. I usually tell her dad is deployed on some military exercise keeping us safe. He retired from the military in the 70s but she still thinks we're all in the military... always wanting to take us to The Officer's Club for dinner and stuff. I've found white lies are way less disruptive than the sad truth when it comes to people not living in the present themselves..
    Big controversy in the dementia world is whether to go along with delusions, like you're doing, or try to get people back to reality. I think I'm with you. Dementia scares the piss out of me. I guess literally, if it happens. Now back to our regularly scheduled bragging about how fit we are, or think we are. Seems like a trivial subject to me.

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    High sugar intake = systemic inflammatory state=increased amyloid plaque formation= dementia. Even worse for synthetic diet sugars.
    Every equal sign in your equation is correlation at best, and not the causation you are implying.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Here's a nice summary of the evidence regarding the effects of sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages on the brain.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5468791/

  22. #422
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,030
    I think its addicting the less sugar I used the less sugar i wanted

    I have just stopped using it and lost the taste/ craving for sugar

    I don't really like sugar anymore
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  23. #423
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    907

    Athletic performance in your 40s?

    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a nice summary of the evidence regarding the effects of sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages on the brain.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5468791/
    Far too lazy. Summary? You know you want too...

  24. #424
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,834
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Far too lazy. Summary? You know you want too...
    Sure.
    It's complicated

  25. #425
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,101
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Far too lazy. Summary? You know you want too...
    "Both sugar- and artificially- sweetened soft drinks may be hard on the brain."

    "Further studies are needed."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •