Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Yep, our Master's swim coach from when I lived in MA is now banned for life from USA Swimming and removed from the ASCA Hall of Fame. Sadly, for some reason, it does not surprise me even though I never got a creeper feeling from him. But then, I only swam with the masters group and was never really around the kids except when we crossed paths in the locker room or pool deck as practices switched.
    My wife's theory is that all kids' coaches are perverts because no one else would actually want to be around kids that much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Was that not what this thread was about? Huh.
    thats not really an atheletic performance unless those kids had score cards
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    When I was in my 20's and 30's I had an easy time maintaining my weight. Around 41 I noticed I had to start watching my diet just a little more closely, but still didn't have to increase my workouts or activities. At age 42 I picked up martial arts again so if I got lazy with my diet the extra activity would help maintain my body. Then at around age 45 I noticed a weight gain around the holidays and just figured it was my poor diet choices and that after going back to my normal diet the weight would come off. Unfortunately it didn't and thus began my struggle with controlling my weight. I increased my workouts, dramatically in some areas, and the weight wasn't coming off very easily. This lead to some injuries, which cause me to have to slow down while I healed thus making weight control that much more difficult. At 46 decided that I have to pay much closer attention to my diet. I have started counting calories, while continuing my workouts and activities. It is paying off as I'm losing weight and getting closer to my goal. I've also found that decreasing my cardio a little and increasing my weight training has helped. This the opposite thing that I did in my early 40's because back then I found weight training just made my wider all over and limited my flexibility, which hindered some of my activities like mountain biking.
    This cannot be repeated often enough:

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Get fit in the gym; lose weight in the kitchen.
    I said the same thing in different wording later on and people jumped my shit. But, whatever, it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

I said the same thing in different wording later on and people jumped my shit. But, whatever, it's the truth.
    FIXED:

"Get fit in the mountains"

Methinks you doth protest too much. You got your shit jumped because you're under 40 and haven't experienced what Grange just described, and you made it sound like it was easy. What he describes is real for a vast majority of people over 40, and it isn't easy. I totally 100% agree that diet is the key to losing weight or keeping it off; it's often been said that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. But what worked in my 20s and 30s diet wise doesn't work anymore. Simply paying attention to what I ate would keep me at a good target weight of 170 or less, without any effort. And if I got fat because I was eating a shitton of donuts (what occurred at one point in my life, at 30), I was able to drop it all with very little effort, went from 185 to 160 in 3-4 months of really dieting.

But with that same "watching what I eat" and adding in limiting alcohol consumption, I found the weight creeping up in my mid-40s, to the point that at 50, I was eating a pretty good diet but could not get below 180-185. It wasn't that I was unable to out-exercise a BAD diet, it's that even a pretty good diet wasn't enough. Since I've been keto for the last 15 months, I have dropped back down, but that is pretty drastic and most people find it not sustainable.

The point is that except for some genetic freaks, shit changes drastically as you get older. And requires a fuckton more diligence and time to hold on to where you were in your 30s. Until you've experienced that (and maybe you're one of the genetic freaks that won't), it's easy to act like it is easy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Methinks you doth protest too much. You got your shit jumped because you're under 40 and haven't experienced what Grange just described, and you made it sound like it was easy. What he describes is real for a vast majority of people over 40, and it isn't easy. I totally 100% agree that diet is the key to losing weight or keeping it off; it's often been said that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. But what worked in my 20s and 30s diet wise doesn't work anymore. Simply paying attention to what I ate would keep me at a good target weight of 170 or less, without any effort. And if I got fat because I was eating a shitton of donuts (what occurred at one point in my life, at 30), I was able to drop it all with very little effort, went from 185 to 160 in 3-4 months of really dieting.

But with that same "watching what I eat" and adding in limiting alcohol consumption, I found the weight creeping up in my mid-40s, to the point that at 50, I was eating a pretty good diet but could not get below 180-185. It wasn't that I was unable to out-exercise a BAD diet, it's that even a pretty good diet wasn't enough. Since I've been keto for the last 15 months, I have dropped back down, but that is pretty drastic and most people find it not sustainable.

The point is that except for some genetic freaks, shit changes drastically as you get older. And requires a fuckton more diligence and time to hold on to where you were in your 30s. Until you've experienced that (and maybe you're one of the genetic freaks that won't), it's easy to act like it is easy.
    I've actually found that for me, to go from really fit to extremely fit (ie trimmer/stronger than an active American to trimmer/stronger than an average athlete) it's not food. It's the exercise type and frequency.

I mean, assuming I'm not eating a shit ton of donuts or something...

The biggest eating change that I made was to cut out all food between meals unless prefueling for exercise, and to remove all non-alcoholic drinks that weren't water. That seems to have been enough combined with exercise type. No limit on beer needed.

My body type may be unusual. What do I know? I just know what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    You know, in my experience, if you really want to lose weight and stay thin, Giardia is amazingly effective, and requires almost no willpower.
    Ask my doctor if it’s right for me?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Ask my doctor if it’s right for me?
    Side effects may include ...

These side effects may be heightened in effect during kayaking trips in Alaska.

Don’t ask me how I know.

41. Still an all right skier and I ski better than I used to. Hard to measure though because the gear improved so much.
    Climbing makes it easy to compare your fitness. I crush stuff I couldn't do a few years back. Bouldering my first V10s. So technically I'm stronger than ever. And I've been climbing since my early 20s, so I can compare. And I can do a one arm pull up these days which was a concept of fantasy in my mid 20s when I was an average climber. (5.11/12routes )

But I noticed my weight starting to go up. As a climber you have a pretty good idea of your weight range. (used to be 76 to 80 kg) but now I have broken the 80kg (175pounds? At about 6ft)barrier and try to get back. I still hope it's the biking to work and all those unnecessary leg muscles

. It made me realize I'm getting older and that I have to start with endurance training again.

I don't think I'm fat by normal standards, but compared to others in the climbing gym I carry around a lot of dead weight. Since most of them are younger AND weaker than me it's still all right I guess.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

At that point in the thread it was being suggested that if you are ill or injured it's impossible to not get fat, which is patently false. I stand by my statement that if you eat a whole food diet and fast a couple days a week you'll find it difficult to impossible to get fat, regardless of age or personal genetics. This is not a personal anecdote, it's supported by a wide body of research, hence the fact that I'm not (quite) 40 yet is irrelevant. Obviously, for psychological and sociological reasons it is difficult for most people. The grass is always greener, I guess. I eat a ridiculous amount of food. The idea of not eating at all a couple days per week sounds glorious.

At the risk of incurring further wrath: I have a habit of observing the contents of people's carts at the grocery store. The level of congruency between what's in the cart and the shape of the person pushing it is usually high to very high. Not a moral judgement, just an observation. Eat whatever makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    And I can do a one arm pull up these days which was a concept of fantasy in my mid 20s when I was an average climber. (5.11/12routes )
    Damn, respect.

Damn, respect.
    Thanks. Years of campus board training with extra weight finally pay of. But I have to be absolutely rested and can't do more than one. A young strong climbing buddy of mine (like 10 strongest here in Germany bouldering V15) can do a one arm pull up with 17kg extra weight on a crimp. That is insane. I can barely hang on that beast maker crimp one handed. But he is 24 and has been training hard since he was 16. Oh well... The fountain of youth.

That's another thing where age comes in. I can't train more than three times a week and need at least two rest days before sending hard. He trains 5 times a week and can do 2 on one off when he is out on rock.

Here is what those young whippersnappers do while training.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Agree, but much easier said than done in a lot of cases. Throw in a serious injury, illness, disease, raising a family, caring for your parents, and the list goes on. And for women, throw in carrying around and extra 30-40 lbs for 9 months that wreaks havoc on your body, dropping a kid out and then caring for it 24/7. Fuck! They have it way worse.
    At that point in the thread it was being suggested that if you are ill or injured it's impossible to not get fat, which is patently false.
    Danny, impossible was not stated as you can see in my post that you quoted. Easier said than done...absolutely. Maybe not for you, but for many and probably most. Not everyone is a type A personality and certainly, not everyone wants to fast because that just fucking sucks.

Genetics certainly play a role. I'm probably lucky in that department, but I was a vegetarian for 10+ years mid 20's thru 30's and still limit my red meat intake. Low sugar diet, no mcshit food, I haven't had a soda in...I can't remember when...25 years? But I drink a lot of high calories beer and my portions of healthy food are too big. I should probably be 165lb, but I really just don't give a shit because I'm happy and I'm type B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    How can you have a low sugar diet and drink a lot of craft beer?
    Low sugar food diet? Beer is sometimes food I guess.

every Canadian food product has a white label telling you how much a portion is and how much sugar it has but i doubt anybody looksa at it, right now post mtb ride I am drinking a can of soda water on ice avec a big shot of lime which tells me a can is a 355ml serving and its all fucking zero's

I cut out all added sugars including honey and I check the white labels to find the product with the lowest sugar levels, at the same time I cut portion sizes, I lost 15-20lbs i lost the little gut, I went from overweight to a normal BMI and my a1c went down from almost 9 to almost 7

So if you are overeating its more than just being fat and happy it ain't good for your blood sugar

every since the 2 craft brewpubs openned just a few blocks away I have gained 2-3 lbs, my a1c is up maybe half a point and the rent money my tennant brings up stairs no longer lasts til the next time she pays the rent

last year when my back was fucked i did absolutely nothing for 8 weeks, drank a lot of craft brew ate exactly the same as I always do and gained no weight

The year I skied 106 days mostly uphill and quit drinking for 6 months the same thing happened, i neither gained or lost weight

mutherfucking portion control eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Point being if you drink a lot of high point beer you are not running a low sugar diet. Which then undermines the claim of diet regulation not working. The scale dgaf if you drink 10lbs or eat it.
    Huh? Beer doesn't have sugar, or very little. All the sugar has been converted to alcohol during the fermentation process.

Beer is *ALWAYS* food.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Beer is *ALWAYS* food.

Liquid Bread

beer is food - it's liquid bread

17th century monks went on beer fasts during lent

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Huh? Beer doesn't have sugar, or very little. All the sugar has been converted to alcohol during the fermentation process.
    oy

carbs are sugars. there are simple and complex. the difference between a simple carb
    and complex is how easily it is digested and absorbed

Your fridge should look like this for real success Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_150916.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	290535
    Last edited by fastfred; 08-07-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    regret swimming?
    I know a few people who are swimming more now, because of the low impact it has on your body plus the breathing
    Yeah. I just started swimming laps at a late age because it's the ultimate low impact aerobic activity. Waterproof headphones, an edible, and just get into the zone. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Your fridge should look like this for real success Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_150916.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	290535

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app
    I'd lose weight with a fridge that looked like that... since I wouldn't drink ANY of that shit.

I might finish the gatorade if I was really thirsty.