Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    As of this week I am 39.3 years old or thereabouts.

But I donít want to get fat, what should I do?
    First, your TRs are TGR gold. Thx man.

I think your lifestyle will be plenty to keep you fit. I'm not a core fitness guy but I'm pretty sure eventually everyone has a metabolism slowdown. I say have more fun (read: TRs) and "race" less.

I dunno about you guys but I rely on smug anecdotes smothered in melodramatic hyperbole and feigned naive narcissism to make my way around here.
    Damn, we may be related.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Damn, we may be related.
    You both absolutely rip on skis.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I feel like the primary reason I've lost a step in my late 40s is lack of motivation. It's really difficult to keep the pedal to the metal year after year.
    Agreed. My forties were my prime; best shape of my life, riding and skiing hard. Even started running, which I used to hate. Then 50 hit, and the siren call of a g&t on the patio got louder and louder. Now I gotta force myself to do shit I used to absolutely love.

Wasted on the young, indeed.

There have been a couple posts here bagging on swimming, but I'll tell you one thing: competitive swimming sure makes it clear if your performance is declining or not. The clock doesn't lie. You can delude yourself into thinking you're as good a skier as you were in your 20s, but unless you're doing an activity that is truly measurable you really don't know.

Swimming is so hard.

I dunno about you guys but I rely on smug anecdotes smothered in melodramatic hyperbole and feigned naive narcissism to make my way around here.
    I thought it was the whole point.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

You are so winning this thread.

Moderation. If that is not inherent within then possibly after some practice it can become normal and flow like Taoism. Extremes (except skiing because we're all sick extreme skiers) are not sustainable unless you're bat shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Is this the thread for the "my shit don't stink" circle jerk? Can I get an order of "I am in great shape and you're a loser if you're not"? With a side of sanctimony, please?
    wow bro harshing the mellow
    wtf
    so like yeah, every day seems to repeat itself cause I don't care
    blow job coffee self help literature only had time for a one hr ride this morning and she was late for work keeping up with the young girls is a bitch

on another note
    the one thing I have and am proud of is my health and ability to crush it when it comes to physical activity of any sorts
    I do look down on other people and almost feel sorry for them that they have let their bodies go to waste and getting off the couch to get another beer is the most exercise they get
    I don't think I'm the best, but I'm happy with my fitness and it's important to me

I don't care how good you are or what you do, but if you just jump on the bike a go around the block that is success in my book
    if you just walk a half mile a day that is an accomplishment
    I really like cheering people on when they are proud of just small steps in that direction
    bikes, skiing, hiking, walking all bring clarity of the mind and happiness I only wish to spread that happiness

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    at 5'9" i've been 230 in the boy's lifetime and 250 more than once in mine. the last time getting it off was brutal and by the time finished my knee was destroyed. to be 175-180 again and able to keep up with the boy as he gets increasingly mobile has been a great gift i gave myself. my shit stinks and it's mobile
    Nice work! Don't let it creep back on. Your body wants that weight back.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    But if the discussion is solely on improving athletic performance (whether it's for someone who is past their prime or or for someone who is 23 years old) one hormone is nearly all of the solution. Maybe not 100% of the answer, but nearly all of the answer.
    Add in some HGH and you'll definitely hit that 100%.

There have been a couple posts here bagging on swimming, but I'll tell you one thing: competitive swimming sure makes it clear if your performance is declining or not. The clock doesn't lie. You can delude yourself into thinking you're as good a skier as you were in your 20s, but unless you're doing an activity that is truly measurable you really don't know.
    Yep, you need a consistent metric. I have a cycling buddy who's 5 years younger than me who put down a pretty fast time on a local Strava climb 6 years ago. I chase that in the summers and got within 5% (21 minutes vs 20 minutes) last summer, but I think it will take a spring+summer of concerted effort if I want to actually match or beat that time.

---------------
    And I'm a knuckle dragger, not a skier, but I am 100% certain that my technique is miles ahead of where I was in my 20s, probably enough better to make up for the decline in physical strength / agility.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 08-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.

I think the point is that the grind sucks. It does. It's fun to toil together but I would never recommend year round swimming to any parent. Summer league and clinics but not year round. I still swim and the conditioning is second to few but I regret swimming all those years and wish I'd done other sports more.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I think the point is that the grind sucks. It does. It's fun to toil together but I would never recommend year round swimming to any parent. Summer league and clinics but not year round. I still swim and the conditioning is second to few but I regret swimming all those years and wish I'd done other sports more.
    regret swimming?
    I know a few people who are swimming more now, because of the low impact it has on your body plus the breathing

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yep, you need a consistent metric. I have a cycling buddy who's 5 years younger than me who put down a pretty fast time on a local Strava climb 6 years ago. I chase that in the summers and got within 5% (21 minutes vs 20 minutes) last summer, but I think it will take a spring+summer of concerted effort if I want to actually match or beat that time.
    I spent a good deal of time in my 30's pursuing the concepts of PR. There is really no hiding from it: if you want to be faster, then you have to try and be faster, ideally at least once a week.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    regret swimming?
    I know a few people who are swimming more now, because of the low impact it has on your body plus the breathing
    Oh yeah, I regret year round swimming as a kid instead of playing more baseball, golf, tennis, etc. I'm happy with the result of my general fitness and swim all the time now. Never will I swim Masters. All that down time.

i laughed - i am fat and sitting in front of a computer. lol - still play different silly activities- can't get out of my own way on the tennis court - who cares... i have fun and if a fat old bastard like me can move around - so can you! have at it pencil neck geeks of tgr!

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    i laughed - i am fat and sitting in front of a computer. lol - still play different silly activities- can't get out of my own way on the tennis court - who cares... i have fun and if a fat old bastard like me can move around - so can you! have at it pencil neck geeks of tgr!
    Very easy to get hurt playing tennis.

my wrist and elbow are sore and my knee gets sore - it's so much fun

Iím jealous of my friends who swam when they were young and their nice pink, thick cartilage.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

knee pain is a drag. this year is the first year for me of knee pain at 54. I am hoping it doesn't get worse quickly and I can increase my core strength and endurance and keep on having fun playing.

if I were to buy one thing to increase my core strength, would it be a medicine ball or maybe hand weights?

any good sites for mildly active but out of shape dentists?

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    knee pain is a drag. this year is the first year for me of knee pain at 54. I am hoping it doesn't get worse quickly and I can increase my core strength and endurance and keep on having fun playing.

if I were to buy one thing to increase my core strength, would it be a medicine ball or maybe hand weights?

any good sites for mildly active but out of shape dentists?
    Olympic style weight lifting is the most efficient in my experience.

oy

that does not sound fun and I don't want to go to a gym

i saw some exercises at the mayo diet clinic site. i think i will try that and work on some portion control - laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I spent a good deal of time in my 30's pursuing the concepts of PR. There is really no hiding from it: if you want to be faster, then you have to try and be faster, ideally at least once a week.
    I'm far from competitive but I've been getting up Si or similar hikes at least once a week this summer. After the first hike I checked my time and figured I could beat it, been pushing that time down all summer. I feel like I have that bug again after a few years of not caring.

How's the recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Never will I swim Masters. All that down time.
    You mean masters meets? They really aren't bad. The small local meets usually only take a few hours. Nationals, of course, has lots of down time, but you're traveling just to swim so I don't feel like it gets that boring. I'll just go back to my hotel and chill if I've got hours between events. That said, I swim far fewer meets now than I used to. A few per year is plenty.