Can I ask another stupid Derailleur/dropped chain question?

How the f#&% do I go from the chain slightly hesitating to shift from the middle to the smallest chain ring up front to completely falling off the smallest ring inside towards the frame, in the course of maybe 8 miles? With out touching anything ei barrel adjusters.

First time, ok, wtf? Second time, new XT chain with maybe 150 miles on it snapped. Cables and each of the three chain rings were replaced 150 miles ago as well.

(and yes, next bike will be single speed ffs)

You need to adjust your low limit screw by turning it counterclockwise. Google is your friend.

Just get rid of that shit.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I understand your sentiment. Screwdrivers are complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I understand your sentiment. Screwdrivers are complicated.
    Meh, it's not the difficulty of adjusting it, it's that they suck and are unnecessary. Carry on.

Meh, it's not the difficulty of adjusting it, it's that they suck and are unnecessary. Carry on.
    Rode my ss today. It doesn't work well for steep mountain grinds though. Not sure where / what OP rides, just trying to help him out.

/end thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Rode my ss today. It doesn't work well for steep mountain grinds though. Not sure where / what OP rides, just trying to help him out.
    Sure, I get it. You can make them work *OK* with some tinkering. Lots of associated issues to me though.

I've found most gear ranges are workable with a cheap 1X conversion anymore. Most people don't need the upper range unless they're hitting HUDGE booters or really like to pedal down roads.

Sounds like the OP's FD is going out of adjustment pretty quick. Might be cable stretch but that would probably have shown up sooner. Check the cable clamp screw and make sure the cable hasn't slipped. Check the limit screw and after that try tightening the barrel adjuster some. If you're not having any luck, bring it back to the shop that did the work and maybe they'll find something.

I would first site down the chain & der from 3 ft behind the bike to see if the der hanger is bent
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would first site down the chain & der from 3 ft behind the bike to see if the der hanger is bent
    This plan is excellent. Second step? Let's assume it's bent.

A forming adjustment on the der Hanger, it often gets bent inwards from hitting stuff or laying the bike over

a shop will have a really nice Park tool that makes exact reforming easy but you can also bend it back with a cresent wrench

if you do it right all the der adj will be right on so you won't even have to touch any screws or cable adjusters

Remove it would be the 1st, 2nd & 3rd steps.
    get a 28 tooth ring if you need the help and be done with it.

Front Der’s can work very well. The angle and height in relation to the big ring is the place to start. If you don’t know what those are a good shop can show you. After that it’s low limit and high limit screws. Last is cable tension.

Get a chain keeper as well. Prevents shifting off the small ring.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

...(/s) I have a friend that spends a large part of most summers trying to get his wife's FD to stop turning on the ST. Could be worth a look.

That is, unless 3PG got it in the first reply--if the cable was initially not releasing enough to drop onto the granny that's one problem, but having the limit screw set properly Should prevent the dropping to the inside regardless. Which maybe does support looking for weird stuff.

Follow these step by step instructions to prevent any further FD issues:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/328973

Can I ask another stupid Derailleur/dropped chain question?

He’s talking about the front derailleur. XXXer, still the highest asian canuck we know! NTTAWWT!

Also, straightening a hanger is only useful to get you home if you don’t have a spare on you. I just reef on it bu hand till it’s close enough. It’ll bend again just from the force of shifting. Best to just replace ASAP. If you have to order one and you want to keep riding, then have the shop straighten it out if you can’t get it yourself.

I don't get paid to read this dreck so maybe I wasnt paying close attention

I would still start with making sure the der hanger is straight cuz its all part of the system

if you really want to stop dropping chains go 1x/ narrow wide/ spragg clutched der

I think i was high when I answered that

Some backstory to help explain my frustrations. Bike is older but all drivetrain components are fairly new, and as mentioned the chain, cassette, chain rings, hanger, cables and housing are new this year. Front and rear deraillers are ~two years old. Shifters maybe three years old.

Everything was working well last season.

This season non stop shifting issues, mainly skipping on the rear with occasional dropped chains off the granny up front. (why I replaced some many parts this year, chasing down possible culprits)

Rear is basically sorted at this point, but now the chain is dropping more often though.

I made this thread because I thought it was weird that the chain would hesitate shifting down to the granny, but then moments later shift down dropping off the granny but I wasn't really comprehending the limit screws effect on indexing. Shoulda just put it in the rant thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

I always hated it when the end loser gave me back story cuz it made the PD too easy, there is way more drama if you wait a few days or even a week

I always hated it when the end loser gave me back story cuz it made the PD too easy, there is way more drama if you wait a few days or even a week
    Hahahah, too true!

OP, dropping off the granny might be a red herring because that shit just happens from time to time when running a triple, or double rig up front. Properly adjusted limit screws are key though.

Also check your chain length.

Jeezus front derailleurs suck.

and don't smoke dope when you are doing pd cuz IME there was just no way to know how things would turn out

but i know I had to go back and fix it again ... so i quit smoking and fixing HW