Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Your car isn't worth much with 175k on the clock and Saab parts are rare and expensive.
    https://www.edmunds.com/saab/9000/1997/appraisal-value/

Disclosure: I work for Safecos parent co, but values are generally set by market. You can try to fight it, but most data points toward "not worth anything".
    Just move on unless there's crazy sentimental value as: the car is 22 years old, the company is no longer in business and any fix will only get MORE expensive.

Best bet is to buy a hood and headlight and fix yourself if you can find the parts. As others have said, its not a collector's car.

I have nothing to offer but vibes. My 2006 V70R is in the same spot. Not worth much to the insurance company, but worth the world to me because it is an AWD wagon with 300hp and a 6 speed manual. Last time it was damaged, the insurance company said they almost totaled it for $2k in repairs. Fuckers. Needless to say. I say a little prayer every time I drive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Seems to me there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of car insurance in this thread ....

lol at people carrying full coverage on old-ass shitboxes. I'm considering dropping coverage on my most valuable vehicle, which is only worth about $19K at this point... but fuck me with two male teenage drivers on my policy.

kbb.com puts this car value between $1,857 - $3,066, but I'm sure your insurance company is fucking you by not paying ten large.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I say let her do it. Flo may be a Booner-Babe, but odds are good she's wild in the sack. She's certainly got a fairly strong internet following.
    I'm pretty sure it's that guy from Allstate.

Don't worry OP, "you're in good hands." Now bend over.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Also note that your pricing is not based on paying out 10k on a 2k car. If you want that, plenty of stated value policies from specialty lines.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Also note that your pricing is not based on paying out 10k on a 2k car. If you want that, plenty of stated value policies from specialty lines.
    You prolly meant agreed value. Not to be confused with stated value.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Did you miss the part where he said he works for an insurance company?

edit: for those who are confused, this is the best explanation I've seen. https://www.lelandwest.com/stated-va...-insurance.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Did you miss the part where he said he works for an insurance company?

edit: for those who are confused, this is the best explanation I've seen. https://www.lelandwest.com/stated-va...-insurance.cfm
    No, what did you miss?

If he wants 10K for his car he needs to insure it for 10K with an agreed value policy. Your own link explains that..."Stated Value has an escape clause that lets the insurance company fall back to ACV."

I'm on the tech side, so some terminology could be slightly off because there's a lot of needlessly convoluted language in insurance contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    No, what did you miss?

If he wants 10K for his car he needs to insure it for 10K with an agreed value policy. Your own link explains that..."Stated Value has an escape clause that lets the insurance company fall back to ACV."
    I know...I was giving him shit because I fight insurance companies for a living. Sorry my joke fell flat.

I get the problems. I have one too though. I have a car I love with nothing more than a bent hood and broken headlight. Pretty far from what I think of (and yes, I know the companies think of it differently) as totaled. Prior to the accident I could have sold it for considerably more than $2k. Maybe $6 or $7K to an enthusiast.

It's like a lot of things that are but shouldn't be, and trust me, I've learned in the last few years that 'right', 'fair, 'just, have little to do with reality and yes, that does bum me out.

I'd be happy with enough to fix it properly. After paying tens of thousands in premiums over the years, never having an at-fault accident, it's kinda fucked up. Who knew about 'stated value'? Not me. Probably would have done something about it had I.

I'm just trying to get them to buy me a couple drinks and dinner before bending me over. It's a racket that we get forced into paying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I get the problems. I have one too though. I have a car I love with nothing more than a bent hood and broken headlight. Pretty far from what I think of (and yes, I know the companies think of it differently) as totaled. Prior to the accident I could have sold it for considerably more than $2k. Maybe $6 or $7K to an enthusiast.

It's like a lot of things that are but shouldn't be, and trust me, I've learned in the last few years that 'right', 'fair, 'just, have little to do with reality and yes, that does bum me out.

I'd be happy with enough to fix it properly. After paying tens of thousands in premiums over the years, never having an at-fault accident, it's kinda fucked up. Who knew about 'stated value'? Not me. Probably would have done something about it had I.

I'm just trying to get them to buy me a couple drinks and dinner before bending me over. It's a racket that we get forced into paying for.
    I wouldn't even claim it. Just buy hood and headlight , replace and drive it. Plenty of bumper repair guys that can fix the current one for a few hundred. You might just replace the head light for now, bend the hood so it shuts and opens and wait to find the correct colored one.

Claim is already filed and in process, but that's not the worst idea in the world.

Isn't the point of having insurance to be made whole or close to it in the event of a loss? At least that's what they want us to think, right? So I guess that's why I'm feeling this isn't quite right.

Hey Sir Vic....tell me more? You have a paint shop?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I wouldn't even claim it. Just buy hood and headlight , replace and drive it. Plenty of bumper repair guys that can fix the current one for a few hundred. You might just replace the head light for now, bend the hood so it shuts and opens and wait to find the correct colored one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Claim is already filed and in process, but that's not the worst idea in the world.

Isn't the point of having insurance to be made whole or close to it in the event of a loss? At least that's what they want us to think, right? So I guess that's why I'm feeling this isn't quite right.

Hey Sir Vic....tell me more? You have a paint shop?
    I totally agree about insurance. I recently changed my car/home to Progressive and they told me I needed a new roof for them to cover my house. Told them to pound sand and went back to Safeco for the home. Just looked on saabnet and there are a few aeros being parted out on the east coast that might work for you, I don't know how they handle shipping a hood but might be worth a quick email if the color is a match.

I'm sorry you may be loosing a car you love, but that doesn't add to the value. Edmunds, KBB.com, and NADA all say the car is worth between sub$2k-4k and you think you could have sold it to an 'enthusiast' for double that?

Think of it like a car sale - they have presented a sales offer, you just have to show them why they are undervaluing your vehicle. Since you think it's worth so much more, it should be easy. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I know...I was giving him shit because I fight insurance companies for a living. Sorry my joke fell flat.
    Sorry as well. Put a smiley next time

It's very confusing, I used to struggle to understand it all when I owned a couple modified track cars.

Oftpiste, unfortunately unlike a home, jewelry, etc, the car is a quickly depreciating asset. So like others said, you really have to assess the value objectively every few years to determine if collision premiums are worth paying. It sucks b/c the car may have sentimental value or a recently refreshed $1500 suspension, but at the end of the day its only worth what their book says its worth, unless you pay for another type of policy.

Get some nice used parts and fix her up. Just have a body shop check that its straight first as straight parts don't fit well on crooked parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'm sorry you may be loosing a car you love, but that doesn't add to the value. Edmunds, KBB.com, and NADA all say the car is worth between sub$2k-4k
    And this is why you drop full coverage on old-ass shitboxes and "self-insure" if you like the car that much. Take the premium savings and stick it into the "fix my shitbox" account.

This isn't rocket science.

That said... insurance is a "racket" by its nature. And yet we can't get by without it... because risk exists.

^exactly. Once car is worth amount X drop collision and comprehensive and go liability only. X is determined by your financial situation, ability to DIY a job such as the OP's, and your ability to go without the vehicle while repairing/replacing. Everyone's X is different.

Unless I'm still paying a loan on the vehicle, it is liability only.
    Live Free or Die

There's a 97 Outback on Nextdoor right now where the owner got in a minor fender bender and the insurance company totaled it giving him a salvage title. 225K miles with new head gasket, struts, shocks, brakes within the past 10K miles among other things. Timing belt is due again at 235K miles so big bill coming in 10K. They want $1500 for it as is. Looks like a much better car than that and with another 5-700 for a timing belt could be good to go another 100K??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This basically. Sucks to have a rig you love, spend a boatload in premiums for years, get in one little incident and then have to make some hard choices, none of which are easy on the pocketbook or frankly fair. My 04 s4 avant is basically insured in case I run over a family or drive it into a house, but beyond that, they wont hear a peep from me. Someone side swiped me a few months back and I paid everything out of pocket without so much as considering insurance because I had made the decision that I would keep the old girl alive come what may.

I wish I had a solid "in" for you on repair angles. That is a sweet car man. Hope you can keep it on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I mean, OK? I have a paid-for Tacoma that has a private party value of $24k. It seems crazy not to have comprehensive/collision.