Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Cancel the insurance claim

After you get your money.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I mean, OK? I have a paid-for Tacoma that has a private party value of $24k. It seems crazy not to have comprehensive/collision.
    This. Some of us have never had a loan on a vehicle.

Full coverage on a taco with that value is going to run me (age and location dependent) almost 100 a month. Unless you live in an area with high rates of auto theft or have a dicey driving record and a history of accidents, that is a level where self insuring seems worth it to me. Liability would cost me about 1/4 that.

Lets say you plan on keeping that rig 5 more years. 7200 bucks to insure over that timeframe with full coverage. That is a pretty large repair (that you need to be at fault for - which is a big point for me as I have a pristine record) for the insurance to be a financial win for you even when you take the cost of liability into the equation.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Claim is already filed and in process, but that's not the worst idea in the world.

Isn't the point of having insurance to be made whole or close to it in the event of a loss? At least that's what they want us to think, right? So I guess that's why I'm feeling this isn't quite right.

Hey Sir Vic....tell me more? You have a paint shop?
    Paint shop is currently full of stuff...
    I would probably paint it right outside the shop... Most bodyshops paint single panels with the door open same place they do all the sanding... It sounds quick and dirty and it kinf of is cut and buff and debris.... I wouldnt overthink it.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Also remember that removing collision but keeping liability only precludes, in theory although I know practice sometimes takes some doing, recuperation if the damage is your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Also remember that removing collision but keeping liability only precludes, in theory although I know practice sometimes takes some doing, recuperation if the damage is your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'd want to be sure to also be carrying some ininsured/underinsured motorist coverage when going liability only. And, that puts you closer to the cost of full coverage.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Full coverage on a taco with that value is going to run me (age and location dependent) almost 100 a month.
    WUT. I am looking at my policy worksheet and I am paying $312 a year for comprehensive/collision on that Taco.

As for UM/UIM, fuck yes, I have 250k/500k person/occurrence plus another million umbrella for that shit.

WUT. I am looking at my policy worksheet and I am paying $312 a year for comprehensive/collision on that Taco.

As for UM/UIM, fuck yes, I have 250k/500k person/occurrence plus another million umbrella for that shit.
    All I can say to that is Hugh's mom's house must not be in metro NY area.

I'm going to call bullshit that you can get full coverage on a relatively new Taco for 26 a month total with any sort of reasonable deductible or annual mileage number.
    Live Free or Die

I suggest cancelling insurance because of the likelihood that the claim will substantially increase your premiums. When I ran into a snowbank, the insurance estimate was over $1k, which was the threshold (per my insurance) where they’d increase my premium. They told me to expect my premium to double for the next 3 years. Also, a body shop will likely adjust their quote (for the same service and parts) if they know that you are paying out of pocket and not going through insurance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto rates.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	289995

Reasonably new = 2014

Deductible = $500 (fuck I should up that and make it even cheaper)

Anyone in MT needs to get good insurance hit me up, I got a guy. FWIW, I had Progressive for like 10 years and I ended up getting WAY more coverage for way less money because I talked to an independent broker. I have homeowners and umbrella with the same outfit so I also get a pretty decent multi line discount.

AR: is your credit score like 150 or something?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto rates.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	289995

Reasonably new = 2014

Deductible = $500 (fuck I should up that and make it even cheaper)

Anyone in MT needs to get good insurance hit me up, I got a guy. FWIW, I had Progressive for like 10 years and I ended up getting WAY more coverage for way less money because I talked to an independent broker.

AR: is your credit score like 150 or something?

That is a good rate no matter how you slice it, but I thought you were talking all in, you are paying more like 50 a month once you include everything, which is still solid.

I haven't bought anything on credit for a while, but last I knew I was at 810. I live in Idaho though and I suspect I'm younger than you which doesn't help on the insurance side. How many miles are you claiming to drive per year?
    Live Free or Die

I blame the higher rates in ID on Raul Labrador. Probably takes campaign contributions from insurance companies.

Wow. Hugh's mom lives in MT. I always thought she lived in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    That is a good rate no matter how you slice it, but I thought you were talking all in, you are paying more like 50 a month once you include everything, which is still solid.

I haven't bought anything on credit for a while, but last I knew I was at 810. I live in Idaho though and I suspect I'm younger than you which doesn't help on the insurance side. How many miles are you claiming to drive per year?
    Yeah, we pay ~$140/month but that's for all that on two cars with, essentially, 1.5 million in UM/UIM coverage (cheap life insurance). I don't recall anyone asking how much we drive per year but it's around 10k/miles/year/car.

And I assumed your $100/month number that started this was just about the comprehensive/collision since we need the other coverage regardless.

If Saab parts are rare and expensive, is parting the car out yourself an option?

As someone who tends to keep cars a long time I have learned that a new or new used car can quickly make you forget about that car you had vowed to love until the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have learned that a new or new used car can quickly make you forget about that car you had vowed to love until the end of time.
    True that, I detailed my car and covered it, so I have been driving Mrs L2S's 428 the last few days and that is a damn nice car. Kind of makes me think I could live with the 328xiD wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I get the problems. I have one too though. I have a car I love with nothing more than a bent hood and broken headlight. Pretty far from what I think of (and yes, I know the companies think of it differently) as totaled. Prior to the accident I could have sold it for considerably more than $2k. Maybe $6 or $7K to an enthusiast.

It's like a lot of things that are but shouldn't be, and trust me, I've learned in the last few years that 'right', 'fair, 'just, have little to do with reality and yes, that does bum me out.

I'd be happy with enough to fix it properly. After paying tens of thousands in premiums over the years, never having an at-fault accident, it's kinda fucked up. Who knew about 'stated value'? Not me. Probably would have done something about it had I.

I'm just trying to get them to buy me a couple drinks and dinner before bending me over. It's a racket that we get forced into paying for.
    To indemnify you it's the 2k. Good luck finding that enthusiast to pay 6-7k. While it sucks, the balance is in when you just sign up and they pay out on your shiny new car. That said, you may want to follow up on your history as the teams that handle the small dollar stuff are purely churn/volume focused.

Also - high insurance rates are usually because of either no fault laws (NJ etc.), high standards around handling/low data visibility (CA) or terribly plaintiff friendly courts (parts of TX). If you don't like it, talk to your state insurance commissioner as they approve all the rates.

All you peeps whining about the high cost of insurance have me laughing. I have two teens going on our policy this year. Just adding the first one to the cheaper car tripled what my wife and I were paying for full coverage on two cars. Another one will be added this December. Holy shit kids are expensive..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    All you peeps whining about the high cost of insurance have me laughing. I have two teens going on our policy this year. Just adding the first one to the cheaper car tripled what my wife and I were paying for full coverage on two cars. Another one will be added this December. Holy shit kids are expensive..
    I have two older teens and Progressive was 40% cheaper than my old insurance carrier for auto. Might be worth a quick check. I was with Safeco for about 8 years before the switch.

I have learned that a new or new used car can quickly make you forget about that car you had vowed to love until the end of time.
    I'm hoping for the same concept with girlfriends

but 3 pages in I think its the op who is trying to fuck the insurance co
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-02-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's that guy from Allstate.

Don't worry OP, "you're in good hands." Now bend over.
    If Pedro offers him cigar, rum... he will cum.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I have two older teens and Progressive was 40% cheaper than my old insurance carrier for auto. Might be worth a quick check. I was with Safeco for about 8 years before the switch.
    Always shop around. Depending on a carriers current footprint in your area, the price may be more or less as most only want so much of any particular market to prevent too many losses during hurricanes/hailstorms etc.

If Saab parts are rare and expensive, is parting the car out yourself an option?

As someone who tends to keep cars a long time I have learned that a new or new used car can quickly make you forget about that car you had vowed to love until the end of time.
    Yeah, problem is I can't really afford to buy the rig that would actually provide the same level of enjoyment and function. Probably would if I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.