Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Aren't some of you guys a bit old to be this naive?

If you own a 15 year old shitbox with a million miles, it's worth NOTHING and should not have full coverage on it.

Regardless of your emotional attachment to it, or its "practical" value to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Just curious. Can you even get Saab parts that aren't used or refurbs? Or were there a lot of GM parts in those cars?
    Some smaller bits are available new, but getting scarcer. My hope has a pretty good stash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    A 96 9000 aero with less than half the mileage and in actual mint condition went for just $7600 yesterday on BAT, a far cry away from 10-20k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...b-9000-aero-2/
    Considerably less desirable as it's an automatic. Look at the other 9k's there.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Aren't some of you guys a bit old to be this naive?

If you own a 15 year old shitbox with a million miles, it's worth NOTHING and should not have full coverage on it.

Regardless of your emotional attachment to it, or its "practical" value to you.
    Apparently so. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I'm not an adjuster, but have worked with them at various points in my career. Plenty of people complain about insurance not delivering what was promised, but usually that's due to one of two reasons, which I'll get to in a second.
    You left off the whole part about how insurance companies make money by underpaying on claims. That's it. That's the business.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I agree with you. We have USAA, been with them about 35 years. The annual insurance on my 06 Volvo is the same as my wife's 2016 BMW? If she totals her car they are likely going to pay out $25k+, so why total mine for $2k in damages? I guess I need to call them again.
    Def worth a call. I'm with USAA too and for me, the difference between liability and adding C&C is so negligible it's been worth it. Like $10-15/month over liability only for my old beaters. Was REALLY glad I had it when I had my '98 Deville I bought for like 2K. Drove the crap out of that thing and when it caught fire in a parking lot (rodents chewed through wiring according to the dealer who USAA had it towed to), they totaled it out for exactly what I paid for it! That was certainly worth the $100 or so I spent on comprehensive policy over the year or so I had it before it met its premature demise. I also have an additional add on the plan where it's a few bucks a month but I think they give you retail + an extra 20% in the event of a total loss. I don't personally know how other companies compare, but anecdotally from others I've talked to USAA usually offers top dollar for totals so maybe worth having full coverage on old cars with them? I dunno tho. Haven't crunched the numbers in a while. There's probably a certain point where it's worth it/not worth it.

Car Insurance Trying to Fuck Me. Strategy Advice?

In your deville example^^^, did your premiums increase as a results of your claim? How much?

My experience from this winter, my adjuster was able to give me a bottom line that would not total my LC. I spoke to him and somebody else at my insurance (farmers) who preps new coverage and they both told me that my premiums would double for three years for any claim above $1k. Claim didn’t pencil out.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    In your deville example^^^, did your premiums increase as a results of your claim? How much?

My experience from this winter, my adjuster was able to give me a bottom line that would not total my LC. I spoke to him and somebody else at my insurance (farmers) who preps new coverage and they both told me that my premiums would double for three years for any claim above $1k. Claim didn’t pencil out.
    Thankfully not at all. I had 3 cars at the time, well then 2 after that incident, and they did not penalize me for the loss whatsoever. I guess rats chewing up wiring doesn't count as my fault? Haha. Either way, I guess that's the point of a comprehensive policy, covers hail and other things that are not human-caused like collision coverage does. No matter the case, they took great care of me in that instance. Was enough for me to keep carrying it on all my cars no matter how old or beat up. I called earlier this summer to cancel those plans to save a few bucks and it would have made so little difference that I just kept them. One's an '05 and the other's an '08. They ain't worth much, but at least they're dirt cheap to insure at this point.

Nice!^^

in no way would i pay 7 - 10 k for that saab - former 900s very happy owner

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Clearly not an “enthusiast”.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You left off the whole part about how insurance companies make money by underpaying on claims. That's it. That's the business.
    Actually the business is investing properly to make money off the float from premium->accident. Most insurance companies run somewhat close to even otherwise. There's actually no real money (over the long term) in insuring losses,it's all about capital usage and smart targeting of reinsurance.
    The company I work for is a mutual, so no stockholder pressures, but I'm sure there's skim in parts of the industry.
    As far as claims payments: it's very dependent and settling on a "fair" figure is tough. From my experiences they try to get it rather right as lawyers are way more expensive than just paying properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I'll be sure to let the adjuster know. Especially since you've seen and driven it.

I mean, OK? I have a paid-for Tacoma that has a private party value of $24k. It seems crazy not to have comprehensive/collision.
    i still carry it on my 2006 Tundra with 160K miles as its still worth more than I care to lose. might pull it from the 08 Saab though.

A 96 9000 aero with less than half the mileage and in actual mint condition went for just $7600 yesterday on BAT, a far cry away from 10-20k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...b-9000-aero-2/
    That didn't sell. The auction ended without the reserve being met. In other words, the owner would rather keep it than let it go for $7600. And there are people asking the owner to relist it, knowing that he won't let it go for $7600.

You also have to understand that the only type of person looking for a car like that, in that kind of condition, for that kind of money, is an enthusiast. A manual transmission is far more desirable than an automatic to most enthusiasts.

This one, with almost 100k miles on it, sold earlier this year for almost $18k.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-aero-5-speed/
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'll be sure to let the adjuster know. Especially since you've seen and driven it.
    lol

keep on huffing the gas

If you can do a reasonable Canadian accent the fenceowner may pay for damage?

Shout if you need a hand with any self repairing that might go on Oft. happy to help and even have my own spanners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Very well aware of all those. Hence my thinking mine is worth more than $2k

The $18k '95 has the TCS I believe, which also makes it less desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandSnow View Post
    That didn't sell. The auction ended without the reserve being met. In other words, the owner would rather keep it than let it go for $7600. And there are people asking the owner to relist it, knowing that he won't let it go for $7600.

You also have to understand that the only type of person looking for a car like that, in that kind of condition, for that kind of money, is an enthusiast. A manual transmission is far more desirable than an automatic to most enthusiasts.

This one, with almost 100k miles on it, sold earlier this year for almost $18k.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-aero-5-speed/

Thanks Brit. Might end up taking you up on that.....

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If you can do a reasonable Canadian accent the fenceowner may pay for damage?

Shout if you need a hand with any self repairing that might go on Oft. happy to help and even have my own spanners.

Full coverage on a taco with that value is going to run me (age and location dependent) almost 100 a month. Unless you live in an area with high rates of auto theft or have a dicey driving record and a history of accidents, that is a level where self insuring seems worth it to me. Liability would cost me about 1/4 that.

Lets say you plan on keeping that rig 5 more years. 7200 bucks to insure over that timeframe with full coverage. That is a pretty large repair (that you need to be at fault for - which is a big point for me as I have a pristine record) for the insurance to be a financial win for you even when you take the cost of liability into the equation.
    How's this work in no fault states? Some states, unless there is an evident moving violation, your insurance covers you and other drivers use their insurance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Single aberrational sales of dissimilar cars does not a trend make.

Car Insurance Trying to Fuck Me. Strategy Advice?

Not even close from my experience, but I’m sure those guys are out there. I typically only see commercial claims but virtually none of them are underpaid, most are overpaid to get them to settle. I’ve recently seen several companies elect to pay tips to servers when a restaurant is shut down to float them until they reopen.

Now do I see claims where people didn’t buy enough insurance or the wrong insurance, sure. But under insurance does not equal under payment.

Off piste is entitled to the actual cash value of the car, so if the insurance company is unable to find a comparable listing from either a dealer or private seller for the amount they offered, it isn’t actual cash value. Saying we offered X because the system told us that is what it is worth is a great way to pay treble damages.

Outcome. Pretty darn positive.

My adjuster went to bat for me and got a second opinion on the car's value. I never got pissed off or misbehaved, but I did stand my ground and gave him plenty of time to do whatever needed to happen. I'm fortunate to have another vehicle so time was not of the essence.

I haven't seen the new valuation but clearly it was much better than the first.

Insurance company is still calling it a total loss, but after my deductible and buyback (salvage value) they're sending me enough $ allow me to have it properly repaired.

While it's a total loss in their eyes, apparently I'll have to re-title it, but the title will not be 'branded' (ie. 'salvage').

I feel good about it, and get to keep my old vehicular friend. Thanks for all your advice.

Good to hear!

Sounds like it’s time to update the thread title