Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Car Insurance Trying to Fuck Me. Strategy Advice?

Had a fender-bender in the 1997 Saab Aero, close to minty condition, well-maintained with upgrades to suspension and performance. It sustained only a broken headlight, bent hood, scratched bumper cover. Don't think anything got collapsed below the surface. Still runs and drives perfectly.

With parts being scarce Safeco is offering me just over $2k as a total loss. Probably around $1k after deductible and buyback if I kept it.

My long time Saab shop either has or can get the parts to repair, but they don't do bodywork.

BAT auctions on similar cars in similar condition with lower - by half or more - mileage are $10-$20k.

I don't expect that, but $2k seems way out of whack. Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

My strategy: save every ad/BAT listing/eBay listing for same model from the last two years or so (since it is rare and probably there aren't many to go by) and put the prices in a spreadsheet with averages calculated. Tell them what you think it is worth and try to convince them not to write it off. Get the cost of the parts and labour for the body work on your own to show you can get it done cheaper than they can.

Other strategy (might work better going forward, especially with a rare car): get a collector's market or insurance appraisal and use somebody like Hagerty with an agreed value policy. You can still do an appraisal now to support your argument.

Obtain comps on the exact model with as close of mileage and condition as possible and submit to them. Simple.

Of course....Edmunds tells me that $10-20k is WAY off.

Didn't read thoroughly the first time, so I agree with peeps below me re actual value.

Lost my beloved Audi 4KQ to Joe from Kansas who couldn't drive in the snow. I'm certain I'd still have that car. Fuckin' Joe.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I think you'll have an uphill battle getting back the value of aftermarket performance parts from them unless you told them beforehand?

$2k is lower end of KBB value no? Upper is what $4K?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Time to lawyer up and sue some bitches.....

Name:  71CBC45D-6B8C-4E65-BCC1-05651FA70D30.jpeg
Views: 981
Size:  25.1 KB

Bring A Trailer comps? R u serious?
    Isn't gonna convince an insurance company.

They're looking at comps from Mannheim auctions or in this case Copart (which primarily deals with damaged cars) https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResu...rue&query=saab

A 2 minute Google search brings this up...
    http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/9000.html Throw in a discount for damage on the above and you are closer to insurance estimate than $10-20K.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

BAT is a fools errand. You already stated those BAT cars have at least half the mileage, that is a massive caveat you just gloss over (and I'm betting your car has close to, if not over 200k miles). Also, the dirty little secret of BAT is a whole shitload of their auctions are won by deadbeats that never pay. I've been contacted by at least 75% of the owners of the e30's I bid on as the winner flakes. I've also experienced that both times I've put a car on there myself. BAT gets paid $250 plus a % fee charged on a credit card either way regardless so they don't give a rip.

I hate to break it to you, but a 22 year old SAAB with a shitload of miles is going to get totaled. The headlights alone on those things can cost thousands, especially now that the parts are basically unobtanium. You should be able to get that 2k quote up, but not by much.

I do feel for you though. I lost my first e30 to a hail storm and they totaled it. I fucking loved that car and was the closest I've ever been to crying since my grandfather died when I was in 2nd grade.
    Live Free or Die

Go find 3 or 4 comparable cars and forward the value of them and tell them to pound sand or get an overly inflated repair bill at the most expensive body shop in Seattle and tell them to fix it. You can probably source a hood, headlight and have the bumper cover repaired. You can probably fins a shop to do it for around a $1000 for everything. I am a big fan of Saabs and the 97 9000 aero is a pretty sweet ride. Looks like they have a 95 9000 in Lynnwood https://www.picknpull.com/vehicle_de...CD68U4S1023640 . Also call LKQ and see if they can source one for you, if you're lucky they'll have a matching paint code.
    Also try saabnet.com or saabcentral.com in their classified section for parts.

Carrying comprehensive on a car worth $4k is questionable. Deductible and value of the wreck means you have like $1k in risk. You’re spending like $500 to insure $1k

Located hood and headlight. $225. Hood will need paint.

Not trying to gloss over mileage, I know that's big piece and that's why I mentioned it. I'm at 175k miles, the $20k cars on BAT are 50-85k-ish.

Appreciate the input. I know I'm not gonna get $20k. Just want to play the game the way they do. They lowball, I gotta highball, right?

Insurance is such a fuckin' racket. Like most people I hate dealing with it so much I avoid understanding the fine points like ^. But I love that car, it's a blast to drive and values are going up as the good ones become harder to find.

More research to come on my part, keep up the interesting comments, but try to be nice, willya pleeze?
    I'm already bummed enough about this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Its a bit like the real estate market. You price it fairly, and buyers come in with lowball bids. Or vice versa.

Buy the totaled vehicle?

Did that back in the UK once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Located hood and headlight. $225. Hood will need paint.

Not trying to gloss over mileage, I know that's big piece and that's why I mentioned it. I'm at 175k miles, the $20k cars on BAT are 50-85k-ish.

Appreciate the input. I know I'm not gonna get $20k. Just want to play the game the way they do. They lowball, I gotta highball, right?

Insurance is such a fuckin' racket. Like most people I hate dealing with it so much I avoid understanding the fine points like ^. But I love that car, it's a blast to drive and values are going up as the good ones become harder to find.

More research to come on my part, keep up the interesting comments, but try to be nice, willya pleeze?
    I'm already bummed enough about this!
    You might keep looking and try to find a hood with matching color code and just hot swap it out. Chances are new paint won't be a perfect match with the rest of the car with 20 year old paint job. You should be able to replace the hood and headlight yourself in a few hours with a second set of hands for the hood.

Long shot here but a free hood off of a 91 9000 in SEATTLE http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/free.html

Do a little searching and see if it'll fit....

Yer being hosed. Your car is worth $2200 on a good day if you put a few grand into it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

This seems like the perfect job for Dan Samas, who I believe is licensed in all state and federal* courts in Washington state.

*Probably not.

^^Around here various law firms will get you $1,000,000 or more when the insurance company wants to settle for $60K.

Gotta get special insurance for collectors.

I just don’t crash and ride liability only
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Op rolling that jerry Seinfeld minty Saab
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I can paint a hood to match...

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

x2 for trying to find matching factory paint. Look at your VIN and get the paint code. Search car-part.com. If you search for other parts on the car, you will often come across junk yard listings that don't have the hood listed, but the phone # is listed and give the yard a call.

I say let her do it. Flo may be a Booner-Babe, but odds are good she's wild in the sack. She's certainly got a fairly strong internet following.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Most insurance hoses you. Depending on your policy for a car declared totaled they usually only have to give you DEALER BB cost less the deductible, not retail BB value that would be your actual replacement cost. This is all you get even when someone else is 100% at fault and their insurance is paying it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Most insurance hoses you. Depending on your policy for a car declared totaled they usually only have to give you DEALER BB cost less the deductible, not retail BB value that would be your actual replacement cost. This is all you get even when someone else is 100% at fault and their insurance is paying it.
    I’ve never seen a policy say dealer bb, term used is almost always “actual cash value”.