Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian Football League

The USA is such a football-crazed nation, but there is like ZERO interest in watching the CFL on ESPN. People would rather watch an NFL training camp scrimmage it seems. It's kinda fun to watch, very wide-open with the larger field size, 3 downs etc. There are 2 games on ESPN tonight. Why the apathy?

Canadians don't even care about the cfl

there's like 6 teams and two of them have the same name. C'mon Canaduh.
    27° 18°

Same reason nobody wants to watch Chinese Professional basketball or AAA baseball, it's not very good

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Same reason nobody wants to watch Chinese Professional basketball or AAA baseball, it's not very good
    Wrong. What about the 90 games a week of US college football..? Most are snoozers, and the CFL is better than most. Yet people watch. And AAA baseball goes on at the same time as the majors, and is far closer in quality to the MLB than any college baseball. CFL is the only football on to watch at the moment.
    On a side note the XFL 2.0 debuts in February 2020 https://www.xfl.com/

I never understood the fascination with college sports. I get that the tournament is great because of the drama, but outside of that I have zero interest in watching minor league games.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I used to work with a guy who was Canadian, had gone to college in the US came back narth and played offensive center, played for Montreal where they won the grey cup ring, said that lining up 1 yard off the ball in the Canadian game made a big difference especially to those mostly American players who would come up narth after they washed out of the American game, so a 300 tackle who has had one move all his life is easy to handle

this guy was only 6'2" 190lb really trim so I asked how did you play offensive center ? Simple by eating 7000 calories a day for 15 yrs to play at 240, said he hated being that big and didn't even enjoy eating, he never talked about foot ball unless you asked but he pointed out in America between pro, college & HS you could watch a game every night of the week

whereas nobody cared about foot ball up here BUT up here its hockey especialy back east
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    two of them have the same name. C'mon Canaduh.
    Check again... 9 teams these days and none with the same name

I always liked CFL football. Faster pace game than NFL with more passing due to only 3 downs. Best part is the lack of never-ending analysis and commentary that you get with the NFL and college football.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Canadian Football League
    LOLZ

LOLZ football

hockey too

but seriously, its all just business and the American market is 10 times bigger
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Check again... 9 teams these days and none with the same name
    ah so they finally smartened up after like 90 some years.

also: nobody cares.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I never understood the fascination with college sports. I get that the tournament is great because of the drama, but outside of that I have zero interest in watching minor league games.
    You don't live south of the Mason Dixon Line.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I have not seen any advertisements for this. Thanks for the heads up OP. I will probably check it out on the ESPN. I really didn't know that the CFL season was already underway but that makes sense considering how early the G cup is. I watched the cup a couple years ago and found it to be far more entertaining than the NFL. I still watch Pac 12 football regularly but I don't think I have watched a down of NFL football in 5 years.
    I like the goalpost in the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    The USA is such a football-crazed nation, but there is like ZERO interest in watching the CFL on ESPN. People would rather watch an NFL training camp scrimmage it seems. It's kinda fun to watch, very wide-open with the larger field size, 3 downs etc. There are 2 games on ESPN tonight. Why the apathy?

I don't get it, i'm a convert to the cfl.

the movement before the snap on offense really opens things up, definitely a lot better than the nfl where are but the elite team's seem to be mostly 3 plays and punt. seems like its 1/2 between the arena league and the nfl, but still a football game.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    I have not seen any advertisements for this. Thanks for the heads up OP. I will probably check it out on the ESPN. I really didn't know that the CFL season was already underway but that makes sense considering how early the G cup is. I watched the cup a couple years ago and found it to be far more entertaining than the NFL. I still watch Pac 12 football regularly but I don't think I have watched a down of NFL football in 5 years.
    I like the goalpost in the end zone.
    they're play Thursday, fri, Saturdays. they're on espn unless espn thinks its better for you to watch the WNBA all star game like they did last week

In the rest of the world Soccer is called football, of course one must acknowledge there is a rest of the world

I was talking to a guy in London who told me he was into sports, so what kind ... soccer

so you play soccer ? no watch it at the pub on the telly
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.

You mean socker?
    watch out for snakes

Because alabama could beat the shit outta any canadian football team?
    "Can't you see..."

At one end of the spectrum we have Rugby. At the other end of the spectrum we have NFL/NCAA Football. Between those are the two sports nobody gives a shit about.. Australian football and Canadian football.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Maybe but whose rules would Alabama and some CFL team play, Canadian or American ?

And besides most of those Canadian teams are Americans who couldn't make it playing f'tba in America

ergo, its the Americans playing ball in Canada who suck and give the CFL a bad name ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-01-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Maybe but whose rules would Alabama and some CFL team play, Canadian or American ?

And besides most of those Canadian teams are Americans who couldn't make it playing f'tba in America

ergo, its the Americans playing ball in Canada who suck and give the CFL a bad name ?
    It's not always that they were inferior athletes. Some are exceptional but simply came up in a college system that's not what NFL teams are using.. Wishbone and other predominantly running schemes... and defending those systems won't get you on an NFL team even if you're super fast, strong, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Because alabama could beat the shit outta any canadian football team?
    Oh, fucking ouch! MT, I'm not sure I agree with you. We've had a couple of our better QB's head south and do just fine. Moon was pretty near an MVP QB down there and Flutie was no slouch, so I think players in the CFL have game. Don't forget, the guys in the CFL were mainly all stars in College or they wouldn't get a look from the scouts anyway. I also think the CFL could be considered a gateway into the NFL for players (sure call it a farm system).

I do enjoy the CFL game on occasion, and it's more than having played the game a lot of years. Sure the NFL can have exciting games, but so can the CFL (and so can college). The CFL game does lend itself to more explosive offense (read airing it out) with the larger field and only 3 downs.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    At one end of the spectrum we have Rugby. At the other end of the spectrum we have NFL/NCAA Football. Between those are the two sports nobody gives a shit about.. Australian football and Canadian football.
    What??? You're talking sports again??!! Have I asked you to STFU lately?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

What??? You're talking sports again??!! Have I asked you to STFU lately?
    What? No. Last time we weren't talking sports, we were talking tennis

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What? No. Last time we weren't talking sports, we were talking tennis
    Well played you son of a bitch
    hahaha.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

So Winnipeg wins the Grey Cup. This guy has been wearing shorts for 18 years, can finally wear pants. (In Winnipeg, north of Minnesota - how cold is this place?) - oh those Canuckians

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...-matthew-pants

I watched the grey cup yesterday as I do like CFL football compared to the NFL; the motion the CFL allows makes the games more fun to watch.

I believe the announcers said it was just above 0 F for the game, all sorts of people in short sleeves and no jackets; including the all female opening band.