Colorado Trail: Kenosha to Breck Question

Next week, I'm going to ride from Kenosha to Breck via the Colorado Trail... obviously a pretty popular ride. That said, what's the BEST/MOST FUN way from the Colorado Trail down into Breck?

I know the classic is to stay on the CT all the way to Highway 9, but I'm more interested in dropping off early to explore some of the other trail options. Maybe somewhere around Galena Ditch so I avoid the second killer climb up to West Ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Next week, I'm going to ride from Kenosha to Breck via the Colorado Trail... obviously a pretty popular ride. That said, what's the BEST/MOST FUN way from the Colorado Trail down into Breck?

I know the classic is to stay on the CT all the way to Highway 9, but I'm more interested in dropping off early to explore some of the other trail options. Maybe somewhere around Galena Ditch so I avoid the second killer climb up to West Ridge?
    Well, the descent down Westridge and the CT is about the funnest downhill in the area, but that climb is pretty brutal. You can cut a lot of that climb out by taking the Muggins gulch road up, which is a pretty mellow neighborhood road that will eventually connect to the CT just below the intersection with Red. You'll miss some pretty fun DH, but still get a ton of fun CT descending. You'll come out at Tiger Dredge, where you could bail to the road and ride "ZL" which is really fun and the flumes, or climb up and over on the CT to the RV park.

Galena Ditch is pretty boring, and kinda annoying as it is flat enough that you are sitting but still pedalling, on a bumpy aqueduct trail. Kinda weirdly annoying in a way.

You could also cut out even earlier and ride Great Flume over and connect to any number of Breck trails like Side Door, which is fun. Stay away from Rock Island or Humbug Hill. Just not worth it, loose, steep, jeep road.

once your at the bottom of the colorado trail there aren't a ton of options I'm bad with trail names and giving directions pretty much like go over there and turn and go there but i'll try

#1 bottom of the colorado trail, do the hump between middle fork of swan and north fork of swan, catch galena ditch westbound, drop down ZL trail, discovery hill trail, gold run road up a quick bit, middle flume, in town breckenridge

#2 bottom of colorado trail, find american gulch and climb for at least 45 mins total punishment, ride little french flume "backwards," little french down, wire patch, turk the jerks trail, minnie mine, and whatnot into town

#3 bottom of colorado trail, find american gulch and climb for at least 45 mins total punishment, GH 42 dirt road, GH47 moto trail, Lincoln meadow, take a pick, side door down, screw around french gulch, back into town

#4 3/4 of the way down the colorado trail there are two old flumes, before the knarlly rock gardens, take the 1st one on your left, bunch of down trees, but isolated and rare single track, almost creepy, stay off the 4x4 road you cross, it goes down and your giving up the goods leaving early, eventually you'll pop out in a swamp, make your way across it to the old lumber mill shit pile, get on south fork of the swan (georgia pass rd) head down a bit, get on the great moto flume head west, pop out on American gluch road and climb 15 mins, french gulch? too many options back into tow

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    #4 3/4 of the way down the colorado trail there are two old flumes, before the knarlly rock gardens, take the 1st one on your left, bunch of down trees, but isolated and rare single track, almost creepy, stay off the 4x4 road you cross, it goes down and your giving up the goods leaving early, eventually you'll pop out in a swamp, make your way across it to the old lumber mill shit pile, get on south fork of the swan (georgia pass rd) head down a bit, get on the great moto flume head west, pop out on American gluch road and climb 15 mins, french gulch? too many options back into tow
    How directions were given before every dipshit needed a sign and a map at every intersection, well done

I once asked an old man for directions in Vermont, he told me to “take a left where the barn used to be”.
    Always got a chuckle out of that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Right at the Dunkin.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Right at the Dunkin.
    I was just back east
    no wonder people are fucked, there was a dunkin donuts everywhere you looked
    coffee drink 500 cal. 3 donuts 200 calories nasty breakfast sandwhich 600 calories
    thats just to get the day going

forgot to mention
    if you want to be a tough guy

kenosha, colorado trail, west ridge, rv park, gold hill climb, peaks trail, breck
    you'll cry the whole way up gold hill, walk, hallucinate, and over all hate yourself for an hour
    but thirty minutes after finishing you'll feel tough as nails

to make a loop out of it all I usually ride up french gulch, little french or yellow brick road, get to the top of american gulch somehow (lots of options) down a bit to great moto flume, up georgia pass to colorado trail and down to where every you want.....