On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

TRP Quadiem issue...

x-posted from MTBR

So I have been running these for about 2 months. Fantastic power, modulation, etc.

Only issue is that there is no contact adjust and the lever comes WAY back to the bar before you get full bite. Only on the rear break though. Front it perfect. Note:

- Not worn out rotor
    - New or newish pads
    - Fresh bleeds multiple times with no air escaping

I can't find anything online, but it just seems like a thicker rotor or something would eliminate this. Running shimano rotors that are 1.8mm when brand new. Have tried "top off" lever only bleeds etc to try and overfill the system, but it doesn't help.

Anyone else?

Edit to add: It also seems odd that when bleeding lots of oil runs out of the port when I remove the caliper syringe even when the lever port screw or a syringe is in place. Because of this I tried doing a normal two syringe bleed then the "top off" shimano style bleed to ensure enough oil in the system.

Not using TRPs, but what I've found to get a perfect bleed on my brakes (Maguras):
    1) remove the caliper syringe when you're holding the caliper above everything else (may require rotating bike or cutting zip ties). Then seal the caliper up and rotate bike back to normal position.
    2) use the master cylinder syringe to pull some vacuum then compress it again a few times.
    3) when you're pretty sure you've gotten all the air bubbles out, push gently on the MC syringe until it feels like it's got "neutral" pressure (like you've filled up the system, but not over pressurized it). Pull the brake lever of the brake you're NOT bleeding to get an idea of what it feels like. Then squeeze the lever of the brake you're bleeding once, and make note of the feel. If it's still a bit softer, squeeze it one more time. Remove the syringe and seal up the MC.

Do a pad advance? (Pull the wheel out, pull the lever to the bar once to reset the pistons further out in the caliper, reinstall wheel)

It sounds like either you don't have enough oil in the system or the pistons aren't advancing at equal speed.

I'd try cleaning the pistons to get things to run more consistently. Do that, then put the syringe with oil in it on lever without plunger and leave overnight with a zip tie or something squeezing the lever.

As a heads up, the older gen doesn't have a bleed fitting, you just push the tubing directly onto the nipple on the caliper (like shimano brakes). Newer Quad's have a specific fitting that screws into the caliper when bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    It sounds like either you don't have enough oil in the system or the pistons aren't advancing at equal speed.

I'd try cleaning the pistons to get things to run more consistently. Do that, then put the syringe with oil in it on lever without plunger and leave overnight with a zip tie or something squeezing the lever.

As a heads up, the older gen doesn't have a bleed fitting, you just push the tubing directly onto the nipple on the caliper (like shimano brakes). Newer Quad's have a specific fitting that screws into the caliper when bleeding.
    Good call. I'll try that. They are latest gen and have actual bleed port. 250ish miles so maybe the cylinders are dirty already.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phil View Post
    Good call. I'll try that. They are latest gen and have actual bleed port. 250ish miles so maybe the cylinders are dirty already.

Always funny when this happens

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phil View Post

Tapatalk wants me to be Dr. Phil.