A sightly above average weekend in Revelstoke

Headed over to Revelstoke from Whistler this past weekend. I had only ridden there a couple of times, mostly quick stops on a long drive headed somewhere else. Definitely an area that I'd like to spend some more time exploring.

We woke up saturday am to heavy rain, decided to head into town and have a big breakfast. Eventually the sky cleared and headed over to ride Boondocker. Super fun trail, starts out with some good roots and tech and finishes off with some really fun jumps.

Just as we finished up lap 1 the skies opened up again and gave us a good soaking. We had been planning on a bigger day with an Ultimate Frisbee shuttle followed by Martha Creek but the weather had other plans. We waited out the afternoon storm with some beers and snacks and once it cleared headed over to Martha Creek for what we heard was a pretty heinous shuttle but also entirely worth it.

It was clear when we started driving up to the top of Martha Creek but we hit clouds about half way up and the rain got harder and harder as we gained elevation. Fresh hail on the ground, pissing rain and perfect riding temps?

Fully unprepared we snagged all the extra layers that my buddy had in his van and got ready to hopefully not get hypothermia. Our timing couldn't have been better though because the rain stopped and the sun came out just as we opened the slider door on the van.

Decent views at the start of the trail

this trail is pretty rocky for BC riding, the top part of the trail felt more like some of the riding we have in Utah

as you drop in elevation (5k or so) it gets less rocky and more steep and rooty, standard BC riding

Super fun trail, would be a ripping descent in the dry. In the wet it was still really fun and kept you on your toes.

Couple of scenics from the drive down after shuttle recovery

I had gotten a little beta from a friend about a couple of rad camp spots down at the lake. We did a little exploring and found this spot at the end of a rowdy dirt road

Sunday was the big day. Some friends got married last summer and one of their wedding gifts was a heli biking trip up to Mt Cartier.

a little bonus hike from where the heli drops you off gets you to the summit of Mt Cartier and some amazing views

hell yeah it's not ugly up here

time to head down

the top part of the trail zig zags across the alpine section. really scenic but maybe not the most amazing trail. once you hit the tree line you start to pick up speed and really start dropping vert. wet roots again were the story down in there, really fun but I'd love to come back and ride it when it's dry. No pics from the lower section but the bottom half of the trail was really fun.

quick swim in the river before making the drive back to Whistler

All in all a pretty rad weekend with good friends and great riding.
    Last edited by dfinn; 07-30-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Sick! Cool to hear the backstory after seeing these on your Strava.

This thread is relevant to my interests...

Nice!

What's an "Ultimate Frisbee shuttle"?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

nice.... that's some high quality riding! i road some trails in Revy last week and i was really impressed with the quality and how close to the town they were.

Sweet pictures! I'm super stoked to be heading up there in a few weeks to ride...

gotcha. As a former ultimate player, I felt like I should understand the reference.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No frisbees were harmed in the making of this TR

I feel like this is something that Trailforks has wrong, or else the name has evolved...what say you locals Grinch and AlexC?

We always used to call this Frisby DH, and then when combined with Frisby Ridge (up->down) THAT gives you Ultimate Frisby. Now I see there's a new trail called UFC (Ultimate Frisby Combined?) connecting the two Frisby Ridge to Frisbee DH.

Good sampling dfinn. A few more spots to hit with some different stuff but looks like you got your share of vert.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I feel like this is something that Trailforks has wrong, or else the name has evolved...what say you locals Grinch and AlexC?

We always used to call this Frisby DH, and then when combined with Frisby Ridge (up->down) THAT gives you Ultimate Frisby. Now I see there's a new trail called UFC (Ultimate Frisby Combined?) connecting the two Frisby Ridge to Frisbee DH.
    The new connector is super fun. Faster and jumpier than the lower "ultimate frisby dh". Thought youd have been on it. Realky nice addition. It can be a good day trip when combining all 3. Leave a truck at boulder parking and shuttle up to frisby ridfe. Do the out and back with the new frisby extdnsion then rip back down to the ridge parking. Put tge pads and full face on and continue down "ufc" to "ultimate dh" to the retrieval truck at boulder.
    I think the ridge is now 20km out and then mostly down back . Total vert is 8000ish feet by tge time you get down to boulder parking

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Did Ultimate when I was there, awesome combo. Fast and flowy up top, steep and gnarly below. Martha creek was awesome. Snow up top in September when I did it.

I didn’t make it to Keystone Standard Basin, told it’s awesome and should definitely be on the list. I hear it’s a pretty character building hike but worth it.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Wow, looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I didn’t make it to Keystone Standard Basin, told it’s awesome and should definitely be on the list. I hear it’s a pretty character building hike but worth it.
    Ran into Phil from Squamish who said it's worth checking out as well. Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Did Ultimate when I was there, awesome combo. Fast and flowy up top, steep and gnarly below. Martha creek was awesome. Snow up top in September when I did it.

Keystone Standard is not hard. More pedalling but very scenic. It's only mildly hard if you go all the way on Standard Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Keystone Standard is not hard. More pedalling but very scenic. It's only mildly hard if you go all the way on Standard Ridge
    Yes...now Mt. Cartier, THAT's the character building hike (sans heli)

dfinn, looks like a heck of a time.

Danno... that kind of explains a lot.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Revelstoke is awesome.

nice work mate

Looks pretty average to me...

Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Danno... that kind of explains a lot.
    Is this the place where you make an ultimate frisbee joke? Because I have never heard any of those.