Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tell me about Baltimore

I have family there. I like the place.
    Last edited by riser3; 07-28-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Not designed to get this moved to Political section, but even with the latest spat between Trump and Rep. Cummings recently? There are better parts of the city and some not so good (have not visited in a number of years though personally)

I like it especially more because Trump doesn't like it. All cities have their issues. There is only one forum.

I'm there pretty frequently. That city has great bones and water everywhere. There's some areas that look exactly like when The Wire was being made but a lot of money has been going into the city too. In the billions no doubt. Just the Port Covington project (led by Under Armour's Kevin Plank) is projected at over $4 bn in private investment money, and while that project is huge it's far from the only thing going on.

Definitely some really nice areas in the city and also some war zones. Tons of cool old buildings waiting for redevelopment and also a lot in the redevelopment process now. I think there's some stellar real estate opportunities where you could get in really cheap but you might have to wait 10 years.

Biggest problem right now is the tax rate is high, and the police have been at about half-speed since the whole Freddie Gray thing. New police commissoner may help and there's a lot of tax incentives in the pipeline from the state, so who knows but it's far from all grim there.

My mom's cousin, in her 80s, still likes to go to baseball games at Camden Yards.

Really good crab.

Love me some softshells.

Frank Zappa was born there as was Jonathan Waters (Pink Flamingos film maker for those uncultured cretins out there). There's an FZ memorial.

Johns Hopkins is a top rate grad and medical school, known for it's math department (2018 Fields medal winner got his PhD there)

Then there's the Orioles.

Waterfront there is way cool, like icemang says above. Amazing cool brownstones available for cheap, like Brooklyn used to be in the 70s.

My experience was in the early 80s when I stayed with friends in the poor part of town and sat in the bleachers. Way more friendly than West of Hyde Park in Chicago.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

My greatgrandparents, my grandparents, and my mom are all buried under the same monument in Baltimore. Solid German immigrant stock from the 1800s.

The Peabody Library at Hopkins is very cool.

That's where the Map Thief got his start.

http://www.michaelblanding.com/mapthief

Sorry, the book is called "The Island of Lost Maps", by Miles Harvey,
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 07-28-2019 at 01:51 PM.

The water taxis go all over the place, which is cool. There's also free ferries around town. Harbor East ^^has all been built in the past 10 years or so, it's not a rathole.

Come on now..........

Good morning, Baltimore
    Every day's like an open door
    Every night is a fantasy
    Every sound's like a symphony

Good morning, Baltimore
    And someday when I take to the floor
    The world's gonna wake up and see
    Baltimore and me
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My greatgrandparents, my grandparents, and my mom are all buried under the same monument in Baltimore. Solid German immigrant stock from the 1800s.
    The guy denigrating your families' town is not-so-solid German stock. More like 'combover-sleazy slum lord-small hands' German stock.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Come on now..........

Good morning, Baltimore
    Every day's like an open door
    Every night is a fantasy
    Every sound's like a symphony

Good morning, Baltimore
    And someday when I take to the floor
    The world's gonna wake up and see
    Baltimore and me
    I always knew KQ got kultcha.

Hun.....bring me another natty bo.
    Bmore has soul.
    The new money is OK, but that's not what charm city is about.

Natty Boh, FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    The guy denigrating your families' town is not-so-solid German stock. More like 'combover-sleazy slum lord-small hands' German stock.
    It's personal.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Hun.....bring me another natty bo.
    Bmore has soul.

^^^^ This, Exactly.

Baldimer...Partied there in my skool daze. Hammerjack's and then a lap around ' The Block ' fer some hookers -n- blow.
    That shit was risky back in the 80's.

Maryland is incredibly diverse for it's size. Horse country, Mountains, The Bay, shittons of history. Ghosthop resides there...

I also spend a lot of time there. I'm in Baltimore now, tending to a dying cat. (The things I do for pussy, har har.)

Two big things. It's the best value for your money of the big Acela cities. Philly may be comparable in costs, but, much cheaper than DC, Boston, and NYC. And it's so close to DC that commuting is possible, even Philly. So, because it's cheap, or, cheaper than some other places (I'm looking at you, 2019 Denver), it has a decent young hipsterish scene in arts, music, and food, because young people can afford the cheap apartments. Local icon John Waters agrees with me on this. A lot of MICA and Hopkins kids just stay. Also, the mega rich aren't a constant presence and irritant like they are in the big three cities. Most of them are up in their horse farms above suburbia, under the radar.
    Which brings me to the second thing. It's a very compact city. I am up in Hunt Valley, which is big bucks horse farms, fox hunting territory, but also many many working farms, with exurbia slowly encroaching. I could be on the bay at Camden Yards in thirty minutes, if it isn't rush hour. The suburban spread of NYC and Boston, not as much DC, is much greater. Makes for awesome road biking. Superb up here.

It's hot as fuck in July and August. If you have anythig to do outside, start at dawn. I woke up before light today, and did forty miles before 10am, when it really starts to funk. But, that means a longer Spring and Fall, and, if winter is mild, all year biking and hiking. It does snow, though.

Southwest uses BWI as a hub. Tons of flights out west, and lots of Euro flights, too. You're also on America's only pretty much reliable, most of the time, rail connection between major cities.

Because the Orioles suck so bad, you can walk up to a window and get a good seat at face value for even the Yankees. Great ballpark.

The Ravens are almost a religion. People wear purple on season Fridays.

Good museums. The Visionary Arts Museum is my favorite.

I could live here. It's a whole lot more interesting than where I live now. It has it's issues, but, the places that are tough are easily avoided. I do interact with some black people that seem not to like me, but, I don't blame them, because I look like a retired cop at this point, and cops don't like them. If you can figure out how to navigate the place safely, it's ok. Whole lot more interesting than Denver.

Hunt valley.... that ain't Baltimore hun. That's like saying Loveland is in Denver.
    Anything outside 695 just doesn't count bunny.

Ahhhh, Baltimore, a storied baseball city...

https://youtu.be/QWQbN0jFo_k
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    It's personal.
    Arnold feels the same.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Ahhhh, Baltimore, a storied baseball city...

https://youtu.be/QWQbN0jFo_k
    Let's not forget the Colts and Edgar Allen Poe
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Hunt valley.... that ain't Baltimore hun. That's like saying Loveland is in Denver.
    Anything outside 695 just doesn't count bunny.
    Count for what?

Dude, I could be dinking hipster cocktails and eating hipster food in Hampden sooner than some outer bourough resident can get to the East Village.