Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    In our LG fridge/freezer the icemaker shit the bed after a couple of years - nonserviceable and $198 to replace. FUCK YOU!!
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Asked a buddy that does appliance repair what fridge I should get last time I was in the market... and when I told him that I was getting a model *WITHOUT* water and ice, he said it really doesn't matter - the water/ice is almost *always* the shit that breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Asked a buddy that does appliance repair what fridge I should get last time I was in the market... and when I told him that I was getting a model *WITHOUT* water and ice, he said it really doesn't matter - the water/ice is almost *always* the shit that breaks.
    Plastic mechanical... just like printers...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I want to get a small propane fridge for a place that's off the grid, anybody know anything about them?

That doesn't make sense.

Last time we shopped for a frigde sales guy said most people wanted one that was bigger on the inside than the outside.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

We bought a 5 year warranty with each appliance. Deal is if unused they refund half the cost. I spent what I believe is a lot, for some here it's not, but the warranties weren't crazy expensive and seemed like good piece of mind. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1564786710622.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	290002

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Nice use of doll prop.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I want to get a small propane fridge for a place that's off the grid, anybody know anything about them?
    They're small, expensive and can be persnickety. You can get a freezer/reefer unit that runs on minimal solar panels that will stay working well on a couple 6v batteries for days the sun's not out. It was a few years ago but I had one that worked well as either freezer or reefer, chest-type; there are certainly more and better solar units out there now.

Yeah i thought about solar but it's a tiny little place and I was kinda thinking propane to save the solar power for other uses. I'll have to do some math I guess. I saw some small scratch and dent propane ones on some site for about six bills, that didn't seem too bad.

and those side by side doors this is the shit that goes sideways

they are hardly dentist grade appliances but if you are a dentist just pay the bill and stfu eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Refrigerator Recommendations?

Fuck me. I thought the source of my fridge water line was under my sink, but it must not be. I’ve been pulling water through the fridge for 29 minutes with the line disconnected. Must be just for the dishwasher.

The line from the back of the fridge goes down through the hardwood and disappears into god knows where. Anyone have any ideas on how I can trace it’s source so I can flush this stagnant water line?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Fuck me. I thought the source of my fridge water line was under my sink, but it must not be. I’ve been pulling water through the fridge for 29 minutes with the line disconnected. Must be just for the dishwasher.

The line from the back of the fridge goes down through the hardwood and disappears into god knows where. Anyone have any ideas on how I can trace it’s source so I can flush this stagnant water line?

Flush the closest toilet, does that effect anything?

How can it be stagnant if you just ran it for 29 minutes? I am not quite picking up what you're putting down here but to find where it's coming from you're probably gonna need to see it, either from underneath or through a wall or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    They're small, expensive and can be persnickety. You can get a freezer/reefer unit that runs on minimal solar panels that will stay working well on a couple 6v batteries for days the sun's not out. It was a few years ago but I had one that worked well as either freezer or reefer, chest-type; there are certainly more and better solar units out there now.
    This x10000. I'd you value your sanity and don't want to spend your away time fucking with your fridge get an ice box or an electric reefer.

That's good enough for me, thanks.

Refrigerator Recommendations?

How can it be stagnant if you just ran it for 29 minutes? I am not quite picking up what you're putting down here but to find where it's coming from you're probably gonna need to see it, either from underneath or through a wall or whatever.
    It was stagnant for 5 years when I didn’t use the fridge water line (it was connected to the fridge but never used). The last 29 minutes were the grand total amount of time water has flowed through the line so I want to flush it out with vinegar.

I had my kid bang on the line with a wrench while I was down in the basement looking around in a small space I thought the line may be visible. Turns out, I found the line and couldn’t see where it went so I took some flash pictures in the nook, saw which direction it headed and then tracked the shutoff valve to a small cabinet I haven’t opened in 5 years either. It only has an opening for the valve itself so I am grabbing a beer and the Multitool and I’m going to excavate the line, disconnect and hopefully let gravity do the rest. I bet I will have to create a siphon if some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    It was stagnant for 5 years when I didn’t use the fridge water line (it was connected to the fridge but never used). The last 29 minutes were the grand total amount of time water has flowed through the line so I want to flush it out with vinegar.

I had my kid bang on the line with a wrench while I was down in the basement looking around in a small space I thought the line may be visible. Turns out, I found the line and couldn’t see where it went so I took some flash pictures in the nook, saw which direction it headed and then tracked the shutoff valve to a small cabinet I haven’t opened in 5 years either. It only has an opening for the valve itself so I am grabbing a beer and the Multitool and I’m going to excavate the line, disconnect and hopefully let gravity do the rest. I bet I will have to create a siphon if some sort.

I’m not gonna lie. I missed your home improvement adventures.

I was totally ready for some crazy shit (no pun intended) to emerge once you headed down below.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I’m not gonna lie. I missed your home improvement adventures.

I was totally ready for some crazy shit (no pun intended) to emerge once you headed down below.
    I suppose I won’t disappoint then. As I was expanding the opening in the particle board backing in order to find where the line went into the shutoff valve, I zipped through the water line with the multitool. Black water shot out straight into my mouth and eyes. Of course, I hadn’t closed the valve before cutting because I do stupid shit. The cabinet this valve is in is above the washer and dryer in the basement and near my wife’s folding table. We have a Seafair soirée tomorrow so she had linens out for the tables. Polish people love their damn table clothes for some reason. You know the rest. I’ve cleaned up, chucked the entire experience into the fuckit bucket and will reassess tomorrow.

If you want to hear about how I butcher the cabinets above the fridge upstairs to make more room for he fridge that I ordered, I can provide another installment later. In other news, the Shed of Doom is still standing, so I have that going for me.

And I'm not disappointed. Nice work. I'm sure tomorrow will go much more smoothly. Good luck.

Yeah i thought about solar but it's a tiny little place and I was kinda thinking propane to save the solar power for other uses. I'll have to do some math I guess. I saw some small scratch and dent propane ones on some site for about six bills, that didn't seem too bad.
    Lots of propane reefers in the RV world, usually with a switch to run on either propane or electric. The ones I’ve had worked well enough. A little more maintenance required than just an electric unit, though. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get the damn thing to light if it has been sitting unused for awhile.