Sign O’ The Times - BD moves ironmongery overseas

Black Diamond outsources metal climbing gear production, lays off 70.
    https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...laying-off-70/

The brand’s sort of fading IMO. (<-old news)

The Alex Honnold Signature Spatula doesn't do it for you?
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...73014ALL1.html

I guess making signature safety hardware by Alex would seem inauthentic. So, spatula it was.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Perfect gift for saucerboy

nice work Alex ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The brand’s sort of fading IMO. (<-old news)
    Subservient to the whims of their private equity overlords, I assume.

Are you sure that's not from the Onion?

This can't be real

Not surprised at all about the move or the spatula. It's for the Alex wanna be's who dream of living in a van and eating with a spatula a la Alex in Free Solo. All the cool kids eat with a spatula these days... you ain't core if you don't.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

the truly core kids eat with a piton ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

The spatula was released on April 1st, but it seems like the prank was that it's real.

this spatula was so much cooler than that spatula

But I do feel like the devils advocate here in that the production equipment and technology in other manufacturing nations (china etc) is often superior to the US's capabilities. BD yields were not as strong with the US manufacturing
    It's almost counter- intuitive that overseas has better quality - and I am no drumpf supporter- but this is what he is trying to bring back to the US- the high quality manufacturing bc it is lacking here particularly relative to history (unfortunately it means also lower and lower wages to compete)
    BD had some issues with recalls a couple yrs ago and that appears to be the main driver of moving production, but also cost savings doesn't hurt
    skid luxury

I love the most helpful critical review from BD's site, lol

A three star review from user 'Holder of Karl'
    Confused by its powers

Took it on a multi-pitch climb this weekend and it was an amazing piece of aid. Jamming into cracks, holding on crimps, and working as a surprisingly effective arm extension when stemming in a chimney, this spatula (I nicknamed it Karl) brought my redpoint from a 5.7 to a 5.14a. HOWEVER, I can't give it all 5 stars because whenever I used it to cook in my bivy, it would make my food taste like pancakes or eggs. Didn't matter what I cooked, braatworst, a tender filet, even my personal favorite, glazed ham, ALL OF IT tasted like pancakes. How can I eat in the middle of a multi-day climb when all I can taste are eggs and pancakes? Considering returning.

Level of Expertise ProfessionalFrequency of use per month: More than 10
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    this spatula was so much cooler than that spatula

But I do feel like the devils advocate here in that the production equipment and technology in other manufacturing nations (china etc) is often superior to the US's capabilities. BD yields were not as strong with the US manufacturing
    It's almost counter- intuitive that overseas has better quality - and I am no drumpf supporter- but this is what he is trying to bring back to the US- the high quality manufacturing bc it is lacking here particularly relative to history (unfortunately it means also lower and lower wages to compete)
    BD had some issues with recalls a couple yrs ago and that appears to be the main driver of moving production, but also cost savings doesn't hurt
    So what does BD bring to the table other than a legacy brand? I posted the spatula because it was on the "new climbing gear page" of which there was very little "new" and seems emblematic of the problems of that industry niche. They are leveraging other peoples development work (in this case GIR https://gir.co/products/flip?variant=26882978938944 - who amusingly, have a lefty spatula, the joke reviews give BD stick for not offering one), not offering much other than minor iterations every half decade and feeding their PE overlords - or for the spatula a decent charity maybe.

the volant spatula is an interesting example of the perils of innovation I think. Even amongst the cognoscenti of maggotdom it took multiple years to adopt. I remember mtnlion selling them for 1/2 retail. it didn't save volant and it's innovations took multiple years for adoption.

This provided some interesting info. https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/black-...facturing-jobs

I got to tout their factory in the late 90's. It's too bad they are ditching it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 08-01-2019 at 05:13 PM.

https://www.outsideonline.com/bcse/s...li?keys=denali

And here is a couple of guys who walk the walk ^^ a truly impressive acomplishment, Clay & Cody climbing Denali by fair means entirely human powered from SLC to the summit of Denali ... they wanted to earn it

I had a few beers with these guys when they rolled thru town and a buddy of mine put them up, so we encouraged them to load up on food for hy 37 which they did but still ran out and apparently the hy thru narthern BC was the crux move

BTW Cody told me he still has the lotus 120 molds but seemed unaware they are a cult classic, I told him build it and they will buy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the volant spatula is an interesting example of the perils of innovation I think. Even amongst the cognoscenti of maggotdom it took multiple years to adopt. I remember mtnlion selling them for 1/2 retail. it didn't save volant and it's innovations took multiple years for adoption.
    While incredibly innovative and ultimately a game-changing design, the Spatula was not without its faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    While incredibly innovative and ultimately a game-changing design, the Spatula was not without its faults.
    Is it made in ‘Merica tho?

I’ve got a made in USA Yosemite Hammer for sale...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.