Any recommendations for newbie rides outside of the Front Range?

I am getting real sick of the front range crowds and heat this time of the year and was hoping someone could give me some recommendations for rides up in the mountains. Looking at the apps is a bit confusing and all of the recommended rides are 20+ miles long and like 4k vert or there are like a million small segments.

I have been biking for a couple of years but am just getting into it more heavily and consider this my first real year. A typical ride that I will do is like 8 miles 1200 vert (north table, green mtn, etc.). Looking for something in the 15 miles range and maybe up to 2k vert somewhere in Nederland/summit/Winter Park area.

I assume you need a pass to bike on any of trestle or any of the inbounds ski areas? I ride a 2018 specialized rockhopper hard tail. Not try to poach peoples secret spots just a bit overwhelmed with all of the options.

Goggle Buffalo Creek

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Goggle Buffalo Creek
    I would have never looked there. Seems like some good options. Thanks!

Buff Creek is a great place.

I love riding in Nederland, but it's not particularly newcomer friendly as the stuff I ride is deep in the woods and not signed at all. I ride almost every Wednesday evening there, typical evening ride is just what you describe, 8 miles 1200 vert. Hit me up if you want to join.

Lots of great riding of the type you're looking for in Winter Park area (not at the resort). Same for Summit County. One of my favorite "bigger" rides is near Breck, start at the dredgeboat trailhead on Tiger Road. Bike up Tiger Road until it intersects with the Colorado Trail, go left. Ride the CT all the way back to your car. That's something like 20 miles and 2000' maybe?

Another option is Kenosha Pass, go either direction on the CT as far as you want, an out and back (going east you eventually hit a wilderness boundary).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

As for Trestle, my understanding is that you do not need a pass to bike there. Some trails don't allow uphill travel, but if you are on the ones that do, you're good.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As for Trestle, my understanding is that you do not need a pass to bike there. Some trails don't allow uphill travel, but if you are on the ones that do, you're good.
    This is correct; however, the main access road up the resort is closed to bikes this summer because of construction traffic heading to and from Lunch Cock. So if you carefully look at the map, there is a legal and very roundabout way to pedal up to Green World a bit above Five Points, but no higher. You can't get to the top. I personally don't think it would be worthwhile to go to Trestle to pedal right now.

Few other options would be Golden Gate and Staunton state parks. Haven't been to Staunton but big fan of GG.

Ok, this is a little outside of your requested area, and is definitely not a beginner ride, but I'm posting it because it is A. Freakin Awesome and B. desperately needs more people to ride it to keep the trail bedded in.

I'll be riding it this weekend, which is why I'm thinking about it. Come on people, get up on it! It's incredible - feels totally backcountry in parts. And you don't need a shuttle - we just ride back up the road at the end.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/565...-creek-shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Ok, this is a little outside of your requested area, and is definitely not a beginner ride, but I'm posting it because it is A. Freakin Awesome and B. desperately needs more people to ride it to keep the trail bedded in.

I'll be riding it this weekend, which is why I'm thinking about it. Come on people, get up on it! It's incredible - feels totally backcountry in parts. And you don't need a shuttle - we just ride back up the road at the end.

Consider me aroused.

Start with Little Scraggy at Buffalo Creek. Fantastic design and very newcomer friendly. If you ride it on the weekends, get up there early. Like ski early. It gets crowded -- but it's great to have a beer at 10am after your ride as people are fighting to get in.

Stauton is a good ride too out that way. The big loop has around 2.5k of climbing as I remember it. So maybe once you're feeling a little more endurance.

Also out that way south of Conifer is North Fork trail. It's mellow but fun. I think like 8-9mi in each direction, and probably under 2k of climbing.

And of course, tons of rides around Breck and Eagle that are newcomer friendly if you do ok at altitude. Don't worry about the "suggested rides" -- study a map and make your own adventure as the legs see fit.

yeah, that looks sweet. Please report back.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with Staunton. Only rode there once, it certainly had a lot of climbing and some pretty views, but all of the trail was 4-wheeler wide, with very little to make it interesting. If I am driving that far, I'd rather go a few minutes further to Buff Creek, even if the crowds are worse.

Buff creek is a good fit. If you come to summit, the Keystone gulch loop is worthwhile. Requires some dirt road riding, but up keystone gulch, connect to the CO trail, and loop back through Summit Cove, and you get one of the better descents on the CO trail. There's a big network on that side of Breck you can tie into and do as big or as small of a loop as you want.

You can also ride the keystone downhill sections without a ticket - it's permitted to ride up the cat track/road. It's a slog, but worthwhile.

<snip> we just ride back up the road at the end.
    Don't do this.

Always ride up the road at the *beginning* of a ride. End of the ride should *always* be a sweet DH to the car.

My PSA for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't do this.

Always ride up the road at the *beginning* of a ride. End of the ride should *always* be a sweet DH to the car.

My PSA for the day.

even a broken clock is right twice a day. this is one of those times.

even a broken clock is right twice a day. this is one of those times.
    This is why I never park at Kenosha Pass to ride that area.

Don't do this.

My PSA for the day.

Yup.

Don't do this.

My PSA for the day.

Ahhh - BUT!

It's hard to convince teenagers to start out with a road climb. So instead, you say "check out this sweet ass singletrack, and then an awesome high alpine ride, and then a bitchin downhill, and then (in a very soft voice) a little dirt road back to the car." They see the singletrack and forget about the road climb at the end.

Dumbasses always fall for it. Stupid progeny.

And if they start complaining on the way back to the car I just tell my older one he can ride up ahead and get the car if he wants.

See - always gotta know the circumstances. You guys with younger kids should really listen to me more. Heh.

Buff Creek is a great place.

I love riding in Nederland, but it's not particularly newcomer friendly as the stuff I ride is deep in the woods and not signed at all. I ride almost every Wednesday evening there, typical evening ride is just what you describe, 8 miles 1200 vert. Hit me up if you want to join.

Lots of great riding of the type you're looking for in Winter Park area (not at the resort). Same for Summit County. One of my favorite "bigger" rides is near Breck, start at the dredgeboat trailhead on Tiger Road. Bike up Tiger Road until it intersects with the Colorado Trail, go left. Ride the CT all the way back to your car. That's something like 20 miles and 2000' maybe?

Another option is Kenosha Pass, go either direction on the CT as far as you want, an out and back (going east you eventually hit a wilderness boundary).
    Flowers are going crazy in Ned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9843.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	289427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9852.JPG 
Size:	818.2 KB 
ID:	289428

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Flowers are going crazy in Ned

Name:	IMG_9843.JPG 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	289427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9852.JPG 
Size:	818.2 KB 
ID:	289428
    Ned sucks. Don’t ride there. Terrible trails. Awful. These photos are actually of trails in Lakewood.

Ned sucks. Don’t ride there. Terrible trails. Awful. These photos are actually of trails in Lakewood.
    It’s all about Mud Lake and Caribou. Some of the best Ned has to offer.

I took this shot in the parking lot.

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20190724200726216_COVER.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	289436

The hard copy WP trail map has some pretty good loops/ride suggestions. I don't think they are online but I bet if you called the chamber they would mail you one.

A quick heads up: Generally I don't think the rides around here are too confusing. That said, the map and signage is getting reworked so be aware. You won't get lost but you might not know where you are.