Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MAUI

MAUI

Headed out day after tomorrow. Seven days on Kaanapali Coast. The Mrs. and the minnies and I. I've done my homework, but looking for last minute Maggot tips and tricks that do NOT involve hookers and blow...... Let's hear it.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Be completely unstructured and unscheduled.

Have you considered the benefits of fractional ownership of a vacation home?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

last time i was there I bought a bunch of Hawaiian shirts cuz sometime i like to dress up more formal eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Be completely unstructured and unscheduled.
    This is an ongoing battle between the Mrs. and I......

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Have you considered the benefits of fractional ownership of a vacation home?
    LOL. No.

The whale film/experience at the aquarium is really cool.

Driving around the south end of the island on the Piilani Highway was great. Some cool hikes to do, and waaaay less people. Various publications severely overstated the shittiness of the road. While conditions obviously can change, it was completely fine in the random rental car we had (a Kia something or other).

Slaughterhouse Beach before 10 with a well stocked cooler, boogie boards and enjoy the day. Kahekili Beach can be good snorkeling with a few public parking spots just north of Black Rock. It will most likely be crowded but it's super close the Kaanapali and kid friendly. If you're from an area where they have water falls I would skip the road to Hana, especially with kids. Try Fish Market Maui, it's in a strip mall just north of Kaanapali with great fish tacos and fresh fish for sale. If you're interested in whale watching the first boat was really cheap(like $20/person about 10 years ago from Lahina) and fun for my kids, we were on mainland time so the 7 AM start didn't bother us and we still had a full day when we were finished. I have used this guy https://www.manaloharentacar.net/ for cars on Maui and it's really cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    This is an ongoing battle between the Mrs. and I......
    If you want any action on vacation.......................................... ......................!

If you drive over the tip of the NW part of the island it is like "Road to Hana-Light" meaning, way less time but still curvy AF. There's a spot with great banana bread along that road a ways. So is Slaughterhouse, and the Nakalele Blowhole, and the Olevine pools which are both pretty cool. Less traffic up this way that going south from Lahaina too.

Eat at Monkeypod in Wailea if you can. Maui brewery tour at the commercial brewery is kinda weak, but good place to hang out and have a beer, the brewpub in Lahaina is better IMHO and right down the road from you. Kohola brewery is also good, but no AC. Their Pilsner is great.

Surfing in Lahaina is a great place to learn, but can be crowded. Go early. A few surf shops rent by the hour and are pretty reasonable. There's one down town next to a pizza place that treated us well.

Paia fish market is a restaurant, and worth a visit or two. A few around.

Dollie's has great pizza, and low key sports bar. Good place to get away from crowds.

Guy name Jim there makes some great sunglasses.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    If you drive over the tip of the NW part of the island it is like "Road to Hana-Light" meaning, way less time but still curvy AF. There's a spot with great banana bread along that road a ways.
    The health department clearly does not inspect anyplace on the road to Hana. BEWARE.

https://charleysmaui.com/
    That's willie nelsons bar. I loved the Bloody Mary buffet thing.

The waterfalls in the jungle are sweet, pay the money and do a good loop of them.

BRING A JACKET if you go to the top of the mountain observatory thing. Its windy and cold in July.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    If you drive over the tip of the NW part of the island it is like "Road to Hana-Light" meaning, way less time but still curvy AF. There's a spot with great banana bread along that road a ways. So is Slaughterhouse, and the Nakalele Blowhole, and the Olevine pools which are both pretty cool. Less traffic up this way that going south from Lahaina too.

Eat at Monkeypod in Wailea if you can. Maui brewery tour at the commercial brewery is kinda weak, but good place to hang out and have a beer, the brewpub in Lahaina is better IMHO and right down the road from you. Kohola brewery is also good, but no AC. Their Pilsner is great.

Surfing in Lahaina is a great place to learn, but can be crowded. Go early. A few surf shops rent by the hour and are pretty reasonable. There's one down town next to a pizza place that treated us well.

Paia fish market is a restaurant, and worth a visit or two. A few around.

Dollie's has great pizza, and low key sports bar. Good place to get away from crowds.
    My daughters and I are definitely planning on surf lessons at Lahaine.....When you say early, how early?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post

BRING A JACKET if you go to the top of the mountain observatory thing. Its windy and cold in July.
    My neighbor did this and made it sound like I needed to dress for Everest.... Fuck if i'm packing a down suit to go to fucking Maui....I've had multiple people tell me they saw the most incredible sunrise from the top though; but that would mean an 0330 wake up and two hour drive in the dark, no?
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Careful driving the north end of the island unless it been improved.
    It was a sketchy drive but well worth the trill of not knowing if I was going to make it. I wasn't prepared but I survived.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

I thought that Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop in Olawalu was fantastic.

My neighbor did this and made it sound like I needed to dress for Everest.... Fuck if i'm packing a down suit to go to fucking Maui....I've had multiple people tell me they saw the most incredible sunrise from the top though; but that would mean an 0330 wake up and two hour drive in the dark, no?
    maybe down is overkill but shorts and a T-shirt arent gona cut it

you want some extra layers, long pants & some kind of jacket
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Snorkel Honolua Bay. Eat at The Lahaina Grill. Spend a day on the beach at Kaihalulu. There is good diving and snorkeling near Airport Beach in Kaanapali, Ahihi near Makena and Ulna in Wailea.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Overnight temps on Mauna Kea during the summer are in the high 30s to low 40s. Haleakala should be about the same.

Nothing crazy, but earlier will be less crowded. The instructors do a pretty good job of managing the break if you are taking a lesson though. Of course it all depends on the tide too.

Oh yeah, hit the Costco when you leave the airport and stock up on booze and other stuff. Much cheaper and more convenient. You won't want to have to make a trip to do it later. Getting around the island can be pretty slow due to traffic and narrow roads.

MAUI

Honolua Bay. This time of yr it should be crystal clear. Best shore access for snorkeling on the island.

Black rock in front of Sheraton for cliff jumping and drowning Asian tourists. I pulled some guy out myself.

Hanakao’o Park (just south of Kanapalli beach) for massive turtle viewing. Literally dozens. They hide there during the day. In front of rocks swim about 25 yards out the entire length. Nice showers.

Trilogy tour for Molokini crater excursion. Pricey but family fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's a 7-day trip to Maui go for (per person)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    What's a 7-day trip to Maui go for (per person)?
    Ton of differing price points. Legal camping is the cheapest legal dirtbag method.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app