Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 79

Thread: MAUI

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Not necessarily a family outing, but for the more adventuresome trippers, I highly recommend going to haleakala during the full moon and spending the sunset, night, and sunrise at the glass octagon lookout. The people that show up are trippy mofos and there's going to be music and all kinds of shit going on. We were tripping balls and went over to the university of hawaii's observatory and shot laser light beams at the moon with them. In the sunrise and sunset, you can almost see haleakala's shadow projecting through space and onto the moon. My friends and I hiked out to the ocean near hana, at huialoha church, over the course of two days, staying at the cabin along the trail. Fuuuuck, you'll know you just hiked downhill for 10K when you hit the ocean.
    That sounds like fun! One of the clubs in LahainaTown does one of those headphone raves during the full moon.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That sounds like fun! One of the clubs in LahainaTown does one of those headphone raves during the full moon.
    Doesn’t sound kid friendly.....

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Doesn’t sound kid friendly.....
    Agree

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,362
    You can still drive up to the crater for sunset. No full moon for a week or two anyway.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Wheels up in two hours! Thanks everyone for the tips.....Mahalo Mags!!!!!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Annnnnnd 3 hour flight delay right off the bat. Fuck you United!!!!!

  7. #57
    DJSapp's Avatar
    DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    All over NCal
    Posts
    6,254
    Disregard the previous advice about drinking heavily before flight. You have plenty of time to get sober

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Disregard the previous advice about drinking heavily before flight. You have plenty of time to get sober

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Right?!? Now instead of DEN direct to OGG, we’re going DEN -SFO- OGG, arriving six hours later than planned.... For now. Fucking United.

  9. #59
    DJSapp's Avatar
    DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    All over NCal
    Posts
    6,254
    Demand a free pass to the united lounge in SFO for the delays. SFO is a hell hole.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Right?!? Now instead of DEN direct to OGG, we’re going DEN -SFO- OGG, arriving six hours later than planned.... For now. Fucking United.
    Remember.... do not, I repeat.... DO NOT full send Hasselhoff into the ocean the second you arrive in Kaanapoli

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Welp, DJ called it.....SFO is a shithole.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    1,347
    did you get the demanded free pass to the united lounge for your troubles?







    you did ask, right?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    did you get the demanded free pass to the united lounge for your troubles?







    you did ask, right?
    Hell yes I asked and they basically told me to call corporate. They gave us $40 in food vouchers and told us we’re lucky to have seats at all....Its pandemonium at the gate right now, with 20+ people being told they are SOL for this flight.... Could progress to riots, who knows

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,783
    Fucking United! Are you still in SFO? Just think, you will get leid in a few [short] hours
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Fucking United! Are you still in SFO? Just think, you will get leid in a few [short] hours
    We are taxiing as we speak......Thanks for the moral support, Mags. I’m having a cocktail. See you all in a week!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Well we are back. Aside from the shitshow of getting out there ( FUCK YOU UNITED), we had an absolutely AMAZING time..... Thanks again for all the tips, I'll try and post a mini- TR this weekend when I've got some time. Aloha!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	654.9 KB 
ID:	290510

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maui.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	290511

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7426.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	290513
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,783
    Steezin'
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    Lulz.....Thanks. And thanks for the rec on snorkeling Honolua Bay, it was badass!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,094
    One more. Thing Two launching off of Black Rock. No drunken Asian tourists needed saving that day.......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	290585
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,190
    Timely bump. Just booked a week on Maui in early February. Besides the fact that it will dump in the Wasatch, am I an idiot to rent a camper van for the whole trip? Looks like there are decent legal camping options for ~$20-30 per night and we like to car camp quite a bit. Looking at renting from Mauivanlife.com anyone have first hand experience?

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,305
    since this thread is here on the front page and we're looking at Hawaii in November...

    Looking for a week trip, family friendly, my kiddo is 8, so she's big enough to do some adventuring, but small enough that cliff jumping or surfing are not her speed, and a sweet mellow beach or even a swimming pool will keep her happy for hours.

    We also have to keep to a fairly low budget, so we can't shell out money left and right for every fun thing or great restaurant, we have to choose wisely. Probably looking for an airbnb so we can have a kitchen (see fairly low budget statement).

    Suggestion for island and/or town?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Timely bump. Just booked a week on Maui in early February. Besides the fact that it will dump in the Wasatch, am I an idiot to rent a camper van for the whole trip? Looks like there are decent legal camping options for ~$20-30 per night and we like to car camp quite a bit. Looking at renting from Mauivanlife.com anyone have first hand experience?
    We thought that we’d do this for 4 nights in July, with the thought that the van would be good shelter during rain over a tent and was much cheaper than any other option. We couldn’t find a van easily enough that had 5 seatbelts and ended up renting camping equipment with basecamp and made a basecamp at a campground. It was cheaper and worked out pretty well for our family.

    Danno, there are a ton of condos with full kitchens on the islands. There are some areas with illegal Airbnb’s (short term rentals not allowed), double check before booking. I suggest researching which areas of the islands will not be receiving winter swells (ie not the north sides). Years ago, we did a cheap-ish trip to kauai: stayed in the cabins managed by state parks in the highlands and stayed in a yurt. We camped for part of our trip to save cash last time. The camping gear for 5 of us for a week was $300.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We thought that we’d do this for 4 nights in July, with the thought that the van would be good shelter during rain over a tent and was much cheaper than any other option. We couldn’t find a van easily enough that had 5 seatbelts and ended up renting camping equipment with basecamp and made a basecamp at a campground. It was cheaper and worked out pretty well for our family.
    Only 2 of us so seats/belts won't be an issue. Looking at rental car prices and airbnbs I think we will save a little money with the van (wife won't tent camp for 8 nights). She wants to do the van vs. a condo/hotel too so I think we'll go that way. Vanlife Maui has nothing but 5 star reviews and their vans are fully set up for cooking and come with towels, snorkeling gear, etc. They look to be older econoline vans but that doesn't bug me at all.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    8,611
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    One more. Thing Two launching off of Black Rock. No drunken Asian tourists needed saving that day.......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	290585
    I wasn’t joking. About 5 yrs ago Some guy drowned in 4 feet of water. My kids had to watch all the cpr.

    There are more accidents in Maui than U read about.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I wasn’t joking. About 5 yrs ago Some guy drowned in 4 feet of water. My kids had to watch all the cpr.

    There are more accidents in Maui than U read about.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Two recent to-dos have been the full face snorkel mask drownings and the 'mountain bike down haleakala (on the road)' high accident rate that the operators tried to hide by taking people to little clinics so they weren't included in the accident rate didn't look as bad as it was. If I've been able to hear about those as an occasional tourist, one wonders about all the other problems that get kept on on the local dl. Seems like they do a better job about keeping "scary" shit outa da paper than ski country where the local rag publishes every inbounds fatality (even heart attacks) and avalanches often make the national news.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •