Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MAUI

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Not necessarily a family outing, but for the more adventuresome trippers, I highly recommend going to haleakala during the full moon and spending the sunset, night, and sunrise at the glass octagon lookout. The people that show up are trippy mofos and there's going to be music and all kinds of shit going on. We were tripping balls and went over to the university of hawaii's observatory and shot laser light beams at the moon with them. In the sunrise and sunset, you can almost see haleakala's shadow projecting through space and onto the moon. My friends and I hiked out to the ocean near hana, at huialoha church, over the course of two days, staying at the cabin along the trail. Fuuuuck, you'll know you just hiked downhill for 10K when you hit the ocean.
    That sounds like fun! One of the clubs in LahainaTown does one of those headphone raves during the full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That sounds like fun! One of the clubs in LahainaTown does one of those headphone raves during the full moon.
    Doesn’t sound kid friendly.....

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Doesn’t sound kid friendly.....
    Agree

You can still drive up to the crater for sunset. No full moon for a week or two anyway.

Wheels up in two hours! Thanks everyone for the tips.....Mahalo Mags!!!!!

Annnnnnd 3 hour flight delay right off the bat. Fuck you United!!!!!

Disregard the previous advice about drinking heavily before flight. You have plenty of time to get sober

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Disregard the previous advice about drinking heavily before flight. You have plenty of time to get sober

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Right?!? Now instead of DEN direct to OGG, we’re going DEN -SFO- OGG, arriving six hours later than planned.... For now. Fucking United.

Demand a free pass to the united lounge in SFO for the delays. SFO is a hell hole.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Right?!? Now instead of DEN direct to OGG, we’re going DEN -SFO- OGG, arriving six hours later than planned.... For now. Fucking United.
    Remember.... do not, I repeat.... DO NOT full send Hasselhoff into the ocean the second you arrive in Kaanapoli

Welp, DJ called it.....SFO is a shithole.

did you get the demanded free pass to the united lounge for your troubles?

you did ask, right?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    did you get the demanded free pass to the united lounge for your troubles?

you did ask, right?
    Hell yes I asked and they basically told me to call corporate. They gave us $40 in food vouchers and told us we’re lucky to have seats at all....Its pandemonium at the gate right now, with 20+ people being told they are SOL for this flight.... Could progress to riots, who knows

Fucking United! Are you still in SFO? Just think, you will get leid in a few [short] hours
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Fucking United! Are you still in SFO? Just think, you will get leid in a few [short] hours
    We are taxiing as we speak......Thanks for the moral support, Mags. I’m having a cocktail. See you all in a week!

Well we are back. Aside from the shitshow of getting out there ( FUCK YOU UNITED), we had an absolutely AMAZING time..... Thanks again for all the tips, I'll try and post a mini- TR this weekend when I've got some time. Aloha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	654.9 KB 
ID:	290510

Name:	maui.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	290511

Name:	IMG_7426.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	290513
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Steezin'
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Lulz.....Thanks. And thanks for the rec on snorkeling Honolua Bay, it was badass!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

One more. Thing Two launching off of Black Rock. No drunken Asian tourists needed saving that day.......

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	290585
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Timely bump. Just booked a week on Maui in early February. Besides the fact that it will dump in the Wasatch, am I an idiot to rent a camper van for the whole trip? Looks like there are decent legal camping options for ~$20-30 per night and we like to car camp quite a bit. Looking at renting from Mauivanlife.com anyone have first hand experience?

since this thread is here on the front page and we're looking at Hawaii in November...

Looking for a week trip, family friendly, my kiddo is 8, so she's big enough to do some adventuring, but small enough that cliff jumping or surfing are not her speed, and a sweet mellow beach or even a swimming pool will keep her happy for hours.

We also have to keep to a fairly low budget, so we can't shell out money left and right for every fun thing or great restaurant, we have to choose wisely. Probably looking for an airbnb so we can have a kitchen (see fairly low budget statement).

Suggestion for island and/or town?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Timely bump. Just booked a week on Maui in early February. Besides the fact that it will dump in the Wasatch, am I an idiot to rent a camper van for the whole trip? Looks like there are decent legal camping options for ~$20-30 per night and we like to car camp quite a bit. Looking at renting from Mauivanlife.com anyone have first hand experience?
    We thought that we’d do this for 4 nights in July, with the thought that the van would be good shelter during rain over a tent and was much cheaper than any other option. We couldn’t find a van easily enough that had 5 seatbelts and ended up renting camping equipment with basecamp and made a basecamp at a campground. It was cheaper and worked out pretty well for our family.

Danno, there are a ton of condos with full kitchens on the islands. There are some areas with illegal Airbnb’s (short term rentals not allowed), double check before booking. I suggest researching which areas of the islands will not be receiving winter swells (ie not the north sides). Years ago, we did a cheap-ish trip to kauai: stayed in the cabins managed by state parks in the highlands and stayed in a yurt. We camped for part of our trip to save cash last time. The camping gear for 5 of us for a week was $300.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We thought that we’d do this for 4 nights in July, with the thought that the van would be good shelter during rain over a tent and was much cheaper than any other option. We couldn’t find a van easily enough that had 5 seatbelts and ended up renting camping equipment with basecamp and made a basecamp at a campground. It was cheaper and worked out pretty well for our family.
    Only 2 of us so seats/belts won't be an issue. Looking at rental car prices and airbnbs I think we will save a little money with the van (wife won't tent camp for 8 nights). She wants to do the van vs. a condo/hotel too so I think we'll go that way. Vanlife Maui has nothing but 5 star reviews and their vans are fully set up for cooking and come with towels, snorkeling gear, etc. They look to be older econoline vans but that doesn't bug me at all.

One more. Thing Two launching off of Black Rock. No drunken Asian tourists needed saving that day.......

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	290585
    I wasn’t joking. About 5 yrs ago Some guy drowned in 4 feet of water. My kids had to watch all the cpr.

There are more accidents in Maui than U read about.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I wasn’t joking. About 5 yrs ago Some guy drowned in 4 feet of water. My kids had to watch all the cpr.

There are more accidents in Maui than U read about.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Two recent to-dos have been the full face snorkel mask drownings and the 'mountain bike down haleakala (on the road)' high accident rate that the operators tried to hide by taking people to little clinics so they weren't included in the accident rate didn't look as bad as it was. If I've been able to hear about those as an occasional tourist, one wonders about all the other problems that get kept on on the local dl. Seems like they do a better job about keeping "scary" shit outa da paper than ski country where the local rag publishes every inbounds fatality (even heart attacks) and avalanches often make the national news.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.