Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Facebook - Possible to use even semi-securely?

Much as Facebook annoys me, I'm half tempted to rejoin after a decade of being off it. Would start over with a fresh account (different e-mail address) so they don't try and suggest my old "friends", pics or anything. Only reason I'm even considering joining is because thanks to my WIFE'S account, she found out about my high school class reunion and was able to help me go! Very cool of her but at that reunion (20 years. Sheesh!) it was really, really great seeing old friends and catching up. I've finally come to admit that it's pretty much the best way to reconnect with old acquaintances and I might be willing to use it again.

BUT what bugs me is how invasive their tracking is. I get it. WE'RE the product. Which I'd accept on their site, but what's creepy is that even if you're not a user, you're being tracked on other sites and your data fed to them. We all know how bad that company is, so I'm struggling to even decide to join, but I just might IF there's a safer way to use the service. Wife's avoided installing the app on her phone, which I know is a biggy. Anything else to be done or is resistance futile and Zuckerberg will simply assimilate all your data no matter what? Any good tips/hints or should I still avoid like the plague?

Buy a laptop or tablet that is only used for facebook. Don't do any browsing or shopping on that device - only Facebook (basically every website these days feeds data back to facebook, to market stuff to you). Setup an email box that is only for facebook. Connect through a proxy. Don't use a profile picture of yourself. Don't use your real name. Turn off location data services on your tablet. Turn off device and place in a lead lined RFID blocking box when you're done with it.

They'll still find you though.

If you are connected to the internet in any way shape or form from OnStar to your smart phone resistance is futile.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I heard letter writing is making a comeback.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I heard letter writing is making a comeback.
    lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Much as Facebook annoys me, I'm half tempted to rejoin after a decade of being off it. Would start over with a fresh account (different e-mail address) so they don't try and suggest my old "friends", pics or anything. Only reason I'm even considering joining is because thanks to my WIFE'S account, she found out about my high school class reunion and was able to help me go! Very cool of her but at that reunion (20 years. Sheesh!) it was really, really great seeing old friends and catching up. I've finally come to admit that it's pretty much the best way to reconnect with old acquaintances and I might be willing to use it again.

BUT what bugs me is how invasive their tracking is. I get it. WE'RE the product. Which I'd accept on their site, but what's creepy is that even if you're not a user, you're being tracked on other sites and your data fed to them. We all know how bad that company is, so I'm struggling to even decide to join, but I just might IF there's a safer way to use the service. Wife's avoided installing the app on her phone, which I know is a biggy. Anything else to be done or is resistance futile and Zuckerberg will simply assimilate all your data no matter what? Any good tips/hints or should I still avoid like the plague?
    there is no "slightly pegnant"

I don't think you understand what "securely" means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

They bought a get out of jail free card for $5 billion and thought it was a great deal.

I don't think the lesson they learned was "treat the product with respect".

Serious question: What if you had a browser that you used only for Facebook? Say you use Firefox or Chrome (haha, you care about being "secure"?) regularly, just use Internet Explorer and a burner email. This won't eliminate everything but won't it go a long, long way to preventing targeted ads and other sorts of data mining?

No way.
    I've made the assumption that people that want to hang out with me will contact me.

Otherwise, what's the point?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Serious question: What if you had a browser that you used only for Facebook? Say you use Firefox or Chrome (haha, you care about being "secure"?) regularly, just use Internet Explorer and a burner email. This won't eliminate everything but won't it go a long, long way to preventing targeted ads and other sorts of data mining?
    no because it's still about IP and Mac Addresses and Geolocation etc etc etc. He needs to use a different "clean" device through a proxy server.

There's a variety of ways of tracking users, including ip addresses.

Like LWS said, if you want to go to the extent of using a proxy server and a dedicated device, dedicated email, etc, that might minimize some tracking.

But your perusal of doggie style websites will be the giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ewwwww.

Name:  67062339_3030194756996719_5509025091674963968_n.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  50.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Name:  67062339_3030194756996719_5509025091674963968_n.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  50.0 KB
    Hahaha. That's pretty much reality these days. One of the creepiest things was after wife and I were just discussing switching brands of dog foods. Told her how one of my employees was telling me about a particular website he ordered his dog food from. Her phone was out which we presume was the culprit (old one she USED to have the FB app on). That evening, she starts seeing ads on FB on her computer for not just that particular pet food website but the very brand of dog food we were talking about AND even the varieties as we were debating going with the salmon versus the duck. Got ads for both but just those. That's when we went in to the FB app's permissions on the phone and realized that the mic option was on. Creeeeeeepy. One of the reasons I really hate FB. But dammit, way too many people use it. FML.

Anybody know about this Firefox add-on? The Facebook Container: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ook-container/

Meh.

I find un-targeted ads far more annoying than targeted ones.

Anybody know about this Firefox add-on? The Facebook Container: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ook-container/
    Unless it provides you with a proxy server ip address, it's probably not worth much.

I use it but admit I know nothing about it. It might be made by the russians.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Looks like a slightly more advanced and automated version of incognito mode... which isn't supposed to be much of a defense to newest tracking stuff FB are doing.

Again.. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The link DOES show Mozilla as being the creator, so maybe that counts for something? Or not. Can't trust anybody these days.

No.. And that goes for pretty much anything not silo'd and off all networks. Your cell phone, all your credit cards and banking info, pretty much every single digital footprint you allow anywhere is at risk. Equifax just had to admit they were hacked last week. 150 million people's data got compromised. And, those credit agencies have EVERYTHING, all your personal info, all your bank account and credit card numbers along with all your transactions pretty much everywhere.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    No.. And that goes for pretty much anything not silo'd and off all networks. Your cell phone, all your credit cards and banking info, pretty much every single digital footprint you allow anywhere is at risk. Equifax just had to admit they were hacked last week. 150 million people's data got compromised. And, those credit agencies have EVERYTHING, all your personal info, all your bank account and credit card numbers along with all your transactions pretty much everywhere.
    That sucks. It's bullcrap that our info is up for sale and passed around like even when you don't partake, like the Equifax crap.
    Plus this: https://bgr.com/2018/04/16/facebook-tracking-non-users/
    So if Fartbook's tracking my data ANYWAY, with or without my consent, is there much practical difference? Can't believe that crap's legal. Funny timing with this news coming out today:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...acy-oversight/
    Apparently they got a slap on the wrist and can continue to screw us all over: "Technology expert Ashkan Soltani, who served as the FTC's chief technologist for a time during the Obama administration, said on Twitter that the settlement "was a terrible outcome for our leading privacy regulator and a very sweet deal for Facebook." He added that, "If this were a game of chess, Facebook just checkmated FTC, flipped the board so it couldn't be played again, and covered the whole thing up with a blanket."

So, I'm still tempted to sign up, but I kind of feel like a dirty whore doing so. But I guess it's either be at least a willing whore or just get taken advantage anyway without consent. Ugh.

You're a slut, not a whore, whores get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    No way.
    I've made the assumption that people that want to hang out with me will contact me.

Otherwise, what's the point?
    Start a faCebook page for your toque.
    ˇÓrale, vato!