Mellow singletrack along I-90

Have to head out to a wedding in Ocean Park, WA this weekend from Kalispell, MT and taking my 5yo with me. Looking for a spot or two to get out of the truck for an hour and ride a few miles of some really mellow (flat) single or double track. Anybody have any good ideas? Bonus point for good scenery and proximity to the interstate.

Thanks!

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe too easy

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/...rse-state-park

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

St regis river trail (I'd start at the west end and go as far as you feel like)

route of hiawatha

And there's paved path near the interstate from like wallace to lake coeur d'alene

St. Regis River Trail 223 on Trailforks
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/st...ver-trail-223/

Ride from the west / St. Regis end - you can do a couple miles of mellow out and back that's pretty scenic. The east end is easier to access, but steeper and more technical. Most of the pics on trailforks are not actually of this trail.

The mellow stuff at beacon in Spokane is also pretty family friendly and it's easy to get to from the highway.

Edit: Jamal beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Maybe too easy

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/...rse-state-park

The trail has a new name because apparently JW was too racist or something
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Wha?

Since when is scalpin savages racist...

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    John Wayne was a fag.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    John Wayne was a fag.

Thems fighting werdz you pinko commie
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Wha?

Since when is scalpin savages racist...

Times travel and outdoors writer
    Thirty years ago, horse and wagon rider and John Wayne fan Chic Hollenbeck lobbied Washington state to acquire the land that used to be the Milwaukee Railroad route crossing the majority of the state and convert it into a trail for non-motorized use. Eventually, Hollenbeck founded the John Wayne Pioneer Wagons and Riders Association in the 1980s, which began organizing an annual cross-state ride of wagons and riders along the trail to reinforce the idea that the trail belongs to the public and combat nearby private property owners’ efforts to exert control over the land.

While the entirety of the cross-state trail is officially the Iron Horse State Park Trail, according to the Washington State Parks Department, the eastern part of the more than 200-mile-long trail was named the John Wayne Pioneer Trail as a tribute to Hollenbeck and the Association’s efforts to establish the trail and in an attempt to attract more users to the trail by using the popular actor’s name.

Now the Washington Parks and Recreation Commission has announced that it is considering renaming the trail. Randy Kline, the project lead for the commission, said supporters of the renaming say it’s about time, while detractors lament the use of government resources.

Kline stresses that the primary reasons for renaming include the fact that the name is not consistent with the department’s policies for naming trails. The policy dictates that preference should be given to geographic locations, culturally significant events and places, or geologic features, or botanical or biological references.

A report from the commission cites confusion between the trails and questions the relevance of the John Wayne name: “Since initial naming, staff has found the current name to be confusing for trail users. West of the Columbia River the trail has come to be referred to as the Iron Horse trail and east of the Columbia River it’s called the John Wayne Pioneer trail giving the impression that they are 2 different trails rather the Washington’s legislatively established cross-state trail. In past trail planning processes trail users have also expressed concern that John Wayne had no actual connection to eastern Washington.”

But there’s still another reason.

“The John Wayne name was used to popularize the initial acquisition of the trail and support for the trail back in the 1980s, and the John Wayne name was really used purely and simply because everybody knew John Wayne and he was associated with the American West,” Kline said. “It was very effective, but, over the years, the John Wayne name has taken on some different, um, connotations. There’s been remarks.”

The “remarks” that Kline is referring to are those made by the actor in a May 1971 interview with Playboy magazine, in which Wayne, with his trademark candor, expounded on everything from affirmative action to the protests and Native American occupation of Alcatraz.

Responding to a question about the revoking of activist Angela Davis’ teaching credentials, Wayne said, “I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

Asked about the occupation of Alcatraz and what the Playboy interviewer called “the Indian problem,” Wayne asserted, “I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that’s what you’re asking. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

In the interview, Wayne also classified as “perverted” the relationship between two men in the movie “Midnight Cowboy,” and used a homophobic slur.

In April 2016, California lawmakers rejected the establishment of a John Wayne Day on the basis of many of the statements in the Playboy interview

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    John Wayne was a fag.

Somebody say plate of shrimp...
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

And OP, these are only 45 minutes from Seattle, so may not be quite where you would want a break, but
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/easy-tiger-lower/
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/no...-timber-17833/
    a little farther east is this double track, and first 2 miles are pretty dead flat.
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/rat-pac-climb/
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Thanks for the recs, gentlemen! The St Regis trail proved to be a bit much for the 5yo, but she had a great attitude and rode as much as she could anyway. Saturday gave us a great ride on the beach and Sunday an hour ride just outside of Spokane (paved, but any bike ride is better than no bike ride).

I think I'm going to take my wife back to St Regis in the next few weeks - looks like an awesome trail!

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190726_112001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	289634

Name:	IMG_20190726_114023.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	289633

Name:	IMG_20190727_180136.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	289635

Name:	IMG_20190728_143505.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	289637
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 07-29-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Well played. I was going to suggest the Spokane River Centennial Trail but thought you wanted only trail.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If you go back and have your daughter with you I'd also suggest the https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/ We took our 2 year old, 3 year old and 8 year old on it this weekend. It's 15 miles but all downhill so a strong 5 year old shouldn't have any issues. If she does you can always bring/rent a trailer. Plan on riding 3-5 hours + another hour for the line/shuttle back to your car.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 07-29-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Well played. I was going to suggest the Spokane River Centennial Trail but thought you wanted only trail.
    Yeah...I did originally. I ended up recalibrating. :-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk