Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Public service announcement to mods

If my coworker who has never posted on TGR and likely never even heard of it is posted here again I'm emailing TGR again.

That alias better be banned. It is against the rules to dox, and its completely uncalled for to bully an innocent person to try to get at me.

You don't get to harass innocent people because someone disagrees with you on the internet.

pics or it didn't happen.

Ya it was a dick move but serial, go ride yo bike. Are you injured again?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Serial, that alias and its owner should have been banned the first time they posted the work place, first and last name and picture of my coworker suggesting it was me. They were allowed to do it 3 times.

Just an FYI. Mods are humans who have a life. Not reading the board every second of every day, and even when reading, are usually reading as users, not mods.

The first time it was posted, a few of you were bitching and moaning in the thread. Buttflake even specifically calling me out for not deleting a thread I hadn't even seen.

Then someone reported it, report was seen by mods, and it was deleted. Since then I guess it's been reposted, and been deleted. Because someone reported it. Deleting posts is one thing, banning users isn't within the power of all the mods so there usually has to be some discussion and then the person with the powers will ban.

Which is all a way of saying Jesus fuck, do you really think this thread is the right way to make your point? When the threads and posts have been deleted WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN REPORTED (and I might add, you didn't bother to report any of them). And it's been what, 3 or 4 hours since the first one was posted?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Serial, that alias and its owner should have been banned the first time they posted the work place, first and last name and picture of my coworker suggesting it was me. They were allowed to do it 3 times.
    I pm'd you. The account in question is banned. It isn't an obvious alias, meaning there's not a plain IP match with another longer-standing user that I can see, having just gotten out of bed to come look at this. Doxxing is bannable. But please do remember, everyone, nobody gets paid to monitor this place. Moderation (and administration) here is volunteer, and nobody necessarily reads PR all night. I rarely read PR even in the winter when I am posting here daily. Report posts with detailed info.

A few folks reported these posts; by the time I clicked any of them, the posts had been deleted. So somebody was awake and was trying to help. Please use the report post function, with a detailed message explaining what is going on, if you want someone to address your issue. Starting new PR threads lets the other currently active users know what's going on - if you want a mod/admin attention, report posts WITH DETAILED INFORMATION such as a full sentence explaining "a user with 11 posts is revealing personal information for another user: clear doxx, alias" etc as reasons like "this is fucked up" get reported all the time, for all sorts of reasons, including butthurtness in polyass, butthurtness in GS, etc etc etc

And finally, please do continue to remember that anyone can read anything you post here and anyone can register here. Nobody on the mod/admin team has any control over that. The community widely wants low barrier to entry, minimal moderation, and it isn't the worst thing in the world to keep the most vulnerable parts of your personal life out of here.

Fwiw, if an active mod hadn't emailed me, I would've assumed (since nobody reported anything else after the posts in question were deleted) that the situation was resolved. I didn't just get up from bed and stumble on this thread.

PM as appropriate.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Ban them all, including the whiners, let God sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Ban them all, including the whiners, let God sort it out.
    Are you whining about the whiners?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I forgot Danno, who doesn't know how to water a lawn, change a bike tire, or flick the bean, is a mod. LoL.

I tried to report the post and it said I wasnt allowed.

This was beyond TGR bullshit. And the guy was allowed to do it 3 times...

I just got an email from the report you just sent on this thread which says "I cannot report posts" fwiw, so that functionality is working.

It's a sign.

P.S. danno I'm sleeping in your dirt yard when Dead and Co plays at Folsom next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I forgot Danno, who doesn't know how to water a lawn, change a bike tire, or flick the bean, is a mod. LoL.
    Fuck off. Or I'll ban you. Oh, wait, I don't have ban powers. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    GRAB THE PITCHFORKS
    By the... tines.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Do a dab.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I just got an email from the report you just sent on this thread which says "I cannot report posts" fwiw, so that functionality is working.
    I know. It seems to work but when I tried to report the dox post I wrote what it was and it said I wasnt allowed access to that feature

Anyways. This seemed to work. The offender has been banned.

If my coworker who has never posted on TGR and likely never even heard of it is posted here again I'm emailing TGR again.

That alias better be banned. It is against the rules to dox, and its completely uncalled for to bully an innocent person to try to get at me.

You don't get to harass innocent people because someone disagrees with you on the internet.
    If a coworker is harassing you, I'd suggest you go to your company's HR department and report them.

I know. It seems to work but when I tried to report the dox post I wrote what it was and it said I wasnt allowed access to that feature
    It's possible someone had already deleted the post in between when you clicked "report" and when you submitted the report; this is the best guess I have. As far as I am aware, it is not possible to prevent a registered user from reporting posts.

Fwiw, a mod emailing the other mods in response to a reported post worked. This thread had nothing to do with it, I am just responding here publicly, since I have already gotten out of bed to sit at my computer to tend to this situation, in the hopes that in the future people REPORT POSTS AND DO NOT MAKE NEW THREADS THINKING THAT SOMEONE WILL READ THEM.

Wasn't banned because of this thread.

This was beyond TGR bullshit. And the guy was allowed to do it 3 times...
    I also want to take a bit of issue with the expectations some of you have around timelines. People livestream murders on Facebook sometimes and Facebook, a company worth over 72 billion dollars whose entire business is people posting on it, with a staff of thousands of paid moderators in every time zone operating 24/7, sometimes takes hours to respond. So 3 posts with 3 reports and a ~4 hour response time is not bad from < 10 volunteers for a small company (at which this forum is NOT the product) who all have full time jobs that aren’t binge-reading the padded room.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I also want to take a bit of issue with the expectations some of you have around timelines. People livestream murders on Facebook sometimes and Facebook, a company worth over 72 billion dollars whose entire business is people posting on it, with a staff of thousands of paid moderators in every time zone operating 24/7, sometimes takes hours to respond. So 3 posts with 3 reports and a ~4 hour response time is not bad from < 10 volunteers for a small company (at which this forum is NOT the product) who all have full time jobs that aren’t binge-reading the padded room.
    Hey, I get it, and I appreciate you.

I tried to report, it wouldn't work and I was concerned about people looking up my coworker on social media, that picture he made becoming a meme...

If it had been me he was posting I wouldnt have been so upset...

Hey, I get it, and I appreciate you.

I tried to report, it wouldn't work and I was concerned about people looking up my coworker on social media, that picture he made becoming a meme...

If it had been me he was posting I wouldnt have been so upset...
    Yeah that came across as inappropriately directed at you - I meant that really more for the forum in general.

Often I click report links and there are 15 or more posts saying some variation of “come on, this shit isn’t ok” and yet only 1 report, and sometimes that report has come hours after the post in question. I’m sure there are times when nobody reports these things! Obviously not-ok things (doxxing, illegal content, etc) will always be dealt with by anyone on the mod team as soon as they can get to it, which for technical reasons does usually mean "as soon as they can get to a desktop/laptop computer and not their phone". But even for that to happen, we have to see it first! This place really gets a lot of traffic for a forum; even reading every day I can barely keep up with my subscribed threads. I would be stunned and horrified if there was anyone who read every single post in every single thread in every single subforum on this site every day; even moreso if they kept up hourly!

Also, there's really almost no moderation that needs to (or does) take place here beyond deleting a spam account once in a while, or moving a post to TT or GS, or whatnot. That's the way the community (you lot! not necessarily the mod team) overwhelmingly prefers it, so actual content-moderation is essentially non-existent and it is ALWAYS the subject of gratuitous pissing and moaning from the community when it does happen, even when it concerns plain-as-day bannable violations of the extremely limited rules we have in place here.

For everyone reading: the way to reach the mod team is the report button. It's a little triangle with an exclamation mark inside it and it is present at the bottom left of every single post (on desktop it is in the same row as "reply", "reply with quote", etc but left-aligned). The more people report the same thing, the more likely someone will treat it as urgent.

The other side of the coin: don’t report someone being rude to you in GS, or someone trolling you in polyass, and so on. If I had to ballpark a guess I would say that 75%+ of reported posts are either for “spam” or “wrong forum” reports, so at least for me personally the default assumption I make when reading the report reason (which comes, without any context about what else was in the thread or even with the text of the post which has been reported, to my email) is “unless this report reason says something very serious, this probably can wait until I’m done with work / get home from dinner / etc” - in other words, until I have time in my life between work, family, skiing, etc to go through my email and stop someone trying to sell a sofa, or move the latest "168 Soul 7s LIKE NEW (3 mounts for Dukes at 370BSL) only $1100!!!" thread from Slide Zone to Gear Swap, etc.

In case the above is unclear: when you report a post, the little “reason for reporting” you submit shows up in an email, with a link to the post in question. That’s the first thing someone sees. The overwhelming majority of them aren’t urgent, and in iOS anyway the link to the post typically just opens the thread in question in safari/chrome (not the app) at page 1 post 1. So in the highly likely event that the first person to read this email is doing so from mobile, the only immediately accessible information is the text you typed in to the box. So make it count please, it helps us decide what is whining, what is “someone confused the report post button with the PM button” (happens more than you'd think and I do try to let the intended-sender know what happened), what is “this spam thread can wait until someone can get to it without disrupting their work/personal/family life” and what the < 1% of posts are that end up being “someone needs to address this right away”.
    Last edited by mall walker; 07-23-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: clarity