Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sun Valley Must Rides

Going to be up in Sun Valley next week with the family. Is there a must ride I need to do while I'm there?

How long of a day? Will anyone be able to shuttle you to a start point 30-45 minutes out of town (and then you ride back to town)?

If you have a shuttle.... Osberg Ridge to Adam's Gulch to Ketchum is a rad ride! I made the wife ride up the road from highway 75 last year to make a loop out of Osberg Ridge... I'd highly recommend the shuttle haha.

the galena lodge trail system is fun and good if you're short on time. Chocolate Gulch, Fox Creek, Adam's Gulch, Greenhorn are all worthy rides in my book. Have fun, I love Ketchum in the summer!

On the other side of the pass I thought Fisher creek was pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    If you have a shuttle.... Osberg Ridge to Adam's Gulch to Ketchum is a rad ride! I made the wife ride up the road from highway 75 last year to make a loop out of Osberg Ridge... I'd highly recommend the shuttle haha.

the galena lodge trail system is fun and good if you're short on time. Chocolate Gulch, Fox Creek, Adam's Gulch, Greenhorn are all worthy rides in my book. Have fun, I love Ketchum in the summer!
    Osberg was the one I was thinking of.

following along,

the GF and I rented a rig from Wandervans and are picking it up in Boise. Will have MTB's and a couple weeks to tour around ID/MT/WY

FWIW I had fun at the SV bike park when I was there 3-4 years ago. I remember long single track top to bottom. I think they have built a new flow trail and some other new trails since then. It's definitley not your Whistler style bike park with lots of man made features... it felt like good ol' fashioned single track cept you get lift bumps to the top. There was a little but of XC and short climbs once on the mountain.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. I can probably scrounge a shuttle from someone in the family. We'll be staying at The Meadows RV Park in Ketchum so if there is anything nearby that's what I'm most likely hit up.

You need to ride anytime, anywhere by bike! You need to eat with him, sleep and travel. Bike best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. I can probably scrounge a shuttle from someone in the family. We'll be staying at The Meadows RV Park in Ketchum so if there is anything nearby that's what I'm most likely hit up.
    You'll be 4-5 miles from the Greenhorn/Imperial Gulch trailhead. That's a pretty good, quick ride. Trailforks shows the best direction to ride it.

Check out www.bcrd.org for up to date information about what trails are open, where the range maggots are, fires, etc.

Also, don't forget to go check out Galena area trails a little ways north of glitter gulch and if you're up that way, might as well go over the pass and ride Fisher/Williams loop(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You'll be 4-5 miles from the Greenhorn/Imperial Gulch trailhead. That's a pretty good, quick ride. Trailforks shows the best direction to ride it.
    Thanks dude. I'll check it out

Get some.

FYI, Sturtevants runs shuttles to East Baker Creek (Osbergs) and Edge of the World (Oregon Gulch), I don't think it costs much per person. You can ride back to town from either of those two drop points.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FYI, Sturtevants runs shuttles to East Baker Creek (Osbergs) and Edge of the World (Oregon Gulch), I don't think it costs much per person. You can ride back to town from either of those two drop points.
    They do, but it's minimum 4 people. They'll ad you to a list and give you a call if they get the other 3. $25 to Baker Creek if memory serves.

So many good trails in Sun Valley... it's not that technical, but for big backcountry-type riding, it's tough to beat.

No doubt. Sun Valley is a special place for me with family there and visiting a few times each year since I was a kid. Even though there's lots of rich people's 3rd and 4th vacation homes, there's always been a super low-key vibe, never any people, very quiet peaceful place to spend time in the outdoors.

So many good trails in Sun Valley... it's not that technical, but for big backcountry-type riding, it's tough to beat.
    sums up the SV/Ketchum/Stanley world.

If you don't ride Alden Gulch you fucking missed out, holy crap that is a fun trail and makes the Osberg climbs beyond worth it

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    sums up the SV/Ketchum/Stanley world.

If you don't ride Alden Gulch you fucking missed out, holy crap that is a fun trail and makes the Osberg climbs beyond worth it
    You basically have to do it as a loop from E. Baker Creek though, right? Climb up the road, up Osberg's, and then down Alden?

You basically have to do it as a loop from E. Baker Creek though, right? Climb up the road, up Osberg's, and then down Alden?
    Alden really should be directional at this point. That is a full on flow trail in the middle of nowhere. I feel sorry for the poor soul that decides to hike UP Alden. Very fast trail down. The climb up Osberg is super mellow for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Alden really should be directional at this point. That is a full on flow trail in the middle of nowhere. I feel sorry for the poor soul that decides to hike UP Alden. Very fast trail down. The climb up Osberg is super mellow for the most part.

Fuck that. It's an easy pedal up and only the shorter loops require a ton of road riding. No way it should be directional unless it gets an easy up trail similar to Leverich.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Either that or up East fork of Baker Rd, right on Osberg and right on Alden.

Sun Valley Must Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    Fuck that. It's an easy pedal up and only the shorter loops require a ton of road riding. No way it should be directional unless it gets an easy up trail similar to Leverich.
    Just surprised cause a person (not me!), could boost the shit out of all those table tops and doubles in the upper section. Riding up a bermed out jumpy trail just seems miserable to me🤷♂️I still can’t believe the FS signed off on that trail. Fuck, I’ve lived in Region 1 to long!
    By easy uphill, do you just mean shorter? That climb is pretty damn easy as it is and a loop! Mountainman, Ketchum has ruined you, you’re getting soft!

Alden was super dope. It’s really cool that stuff like that is built fairly far out there. I looped it with the E Baker Road, that’s a very polite climb, if a little long.