Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Unless I’m missing something (which is probable), there’s no sleeper that goes AMS to Spain. That would have been our first choice.
    Consumer preference and high speed rail killed off the night train in most of Europe, not many left, and I think none on that route. Eh Nowadays Madrid-Granada is a little over 3 hours by train “it used to be” overnight with enough time to get drunk on cheap decent wine & feast on jamon Serrano & cheese, pass out on a bunk and roll out in the morning for some coffee
    Last edited by dunfree ; 01-17-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Until you get pulled over by a cop that doesn't speak or read English. Easy enough to get from AAA.
    Yep. One late night in rural Austria I was pulled over by a couple of cops. I wasn't doing anything wrong AFAIK - either they were stopping everyone or they were profiling a rental car. In any case, I nervously gave them my AAA IDL. They quizzically looked at each other as if they didn't have the slightest clue what the thing was, muttered in German for a couple minutes, and sent me on my way. I was glad to have it.

And yes driving around Paris is a cluster for a tourist. You'll survive with GPS, but it will be stressful and you'll probably wish you didn't. Edit: idk about Madrid.

A Europe Travel Question

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    As stated, take public transportation of some sort if you can swing it. Trains and planes criss cross Eurozone like the fucking NYC subway. Van shuttles are super common and can usually get you 2-4 hours from airport/train stations to your final destination.
    I've rented cars a few times in Italy and it was always stressful and I always get lost pretty bad at least once. I now budget for 24-50% more than the Google Map estimate to allow for me fucking something up in a major way. Just getting on a road that looks like "it'll work just as well now that we're here and backtracking would be a waste" could destroy your timeline. And as soon as you're off the main tourist path, a grand total of ZERO people will speak your language at all. I briefly fell in love with a toll booth operator who eventually informed me that I'd been going the opposite direction from my destination for 30 minutes. This was after 5 minutes of zero english pantomiming. She was so fucking hot and just kept smiling at me.........
    Pay for the Verizon International plan, or whatever equivalent your carrier has. Map and Translate apps. This is your lifeline from the minute you touch down. Money well spent. Wifi will never be there when you're in a bind. Buy a little battery backup for you phone because you'll be burning that thing up all day.
    Also, DEFINITELY get the full coverage rental insurance. This isn't the "US of-nobody-gives-a-fuck A". The places I've returned cars to seem to make their money by charging tourists for damage. I've gotten some super pissed stare downs after showing rental agents that I had full damage coverage after they started pointing out scuffs and scratches on bumpers. Money well spent.
    I just came to post here that I’ve been to Europe at least 25 times and this is a 180 from my experience. I’ve had great rental car experiences, it’s easy to get around, I love the way people drive there, I hate driving in the US, I always look forward to driving in Europe, etc. etc. etc..
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I just came to post here that I’ve been to Europe at least 25 times and this is a 180 from my experience. I’ve had great rental car experiences, it’s easy to get around, I love the way people drive there, I hate driving in the US, I always look forward to driving in Europe, etc. etc. etc..
    perhaps its an acquired taste, like sucking dick ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    perhaps its an acquired taste, like sucking dick ?
    I guess you would know.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Or picked the one closed gate at the toll booth and had to back up into massive oncoming traffic to cut across 5 lanes to the "Stupid American"line.

I saw one of those signs you refer to. I do OK in French, but still had no idea what it meant, and passed it. Took me about 100 yards to realize I had just entered a one way highway. Reverse, as fast as a Peugeot will reverse, and take the right hand turn I should have in the first place. That was stressful.

I also backed into a post in Aix-En- Provence that was probably there close to when Jesus was a boy. Post won. $200 charge from the rental company. I got off easy.

So I guess what I am saying is...

Take the plane, or the night train. I love sleeper cars. Wake up at your destination. No time wasted.
    Great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Unless I’m missing something (which is probable), there’s no sleeper that goes AMS to Spain. That would have been our first choice.

Talking this over with my wife and we have decided that if we drive we will just have a loose itinerary that doesn’t really ouch us all the way to Madrid, and spend more time in places closer.

Or if we decide we’d rather go to Spain we will fly there and potentially rent out of Madrid.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    If you do decide to keep your trip closer to Amsterdam--Amsterdam Centraal is one of the great train stations of the world. 11 platforms and each one has a train arriving and departing every 5 minutes, all going to different places--you have to watch the sign at the platform and make sure you get on the right train because yours might be the next one.
    We spent 10 days of a 3 week trip in Amsterdam and it wasn't too long.