Your Favorite Ski for Palmer Summers

Palmer snow is firm groomer in the AM and corn and mashed taters by the afternoon (with plenty of iced up salt spots for after the race teams leave the hill)

What is is your favorite ski for this duty summer glacier/snow-field duty?

Praxis rx....

Depends. What is the plan mang? You gonna hit it at 7 and stay up on the snow until after 2 or what? If it is a good night it will be a blue ice sheet everywhere at 7 am but will soon be softening up.
    Ultimately I want to end the day on something somewhat fat so I can outlast the racers and potentially ski off the groom if conditions allow. First thing in the morning turns are usually not in my wheelhouse with my quiver. I don't have sharp edges and everything is set up for powder. If I am up first thing usually I am just casing it and spinning down the whole public lane like it's a giant dance floor in the park. Usually soft conditions do not take long to arrive.
    It is really a long trek back to the lot to switch skis so that is something to keep in mind. Sometimes that is the plan but sometimes it is better just to pack the entire days provisions and stick it out until long after the lifts close. Good to think about how you are ultimately getting down to the lot too. Often I will pick an old pair of skis if I am going to ski on lava rocks back to the car.

boards with the right wax!

Last Saturday, I used Line Supernatural 108s and SVS was on K2 Pinnacle 118s. No complaints from me using 108 underfoot. Easy to overthink it...

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Depends. What is the plan mang? You gonna hit it at 7 and stay up on the snow until after 2 or what? If it is a good night it will be a blue ice sheet everywhere at 7 am but will soon be softening up.
    I want it all. Open to close. I have used Pinnacle 95s and Bones. Both have been serviceable. Just wondering other people’s choices.

Never skied a summer glacier, but those are the conditions I really like my 4frnt Devastator for. Full rocker, full traditional sidecut with no taper— these skis make mashed potatoes fun, and hook up on groomers as long as they aren’t super icy. Performance comes at the expense of needing to use a little more energy in the legs to rebound turn to turn. I prefer the 194s, 111 under foot. Wish for a 190 length tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    I want it all. Open to close. I have used Pinnacle 95s and Bones. Both have been serviceable. Just wondering other people’s choices.
    Epic Ski has the answer that you seek
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Epic Ski has the answer that you seek

Thanks. Good read on the skiing Rocky Mt. Glaciers. At least I assume that’s what you were pointing me too and not the dead forums

I should have been more clear though. I am lazy and only ski what the lift gives me, so no need for touring or other lightweight setups.

New question, to those of you who ski in-bounds at Timberline on Palmer, in the summer, particularly in the AM, but not on a race team, what is your favorite ski?

praxis rx.....

184 WC Gs skis. Seriously. Just buy a pair for $100 at the swap, get a good razor sharp time and go rip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

On the assumption that the spring/summer skiing on race/training course prepped snow is the same no matter where you are (having never skied Palmer) ..... and the OP seems to be emphasizing earlier in the day rather than later ..... my late season (June this year) ski of choice is currently Nordica doberman spitfire RBs: only 72 under foot, no early rise, but loads of carbon and springy as fuck. I was shocked at how well they continued to ski long after the mank had commenced.

Yeah, similar to what detrusor sed.

Hey Jup, pretty interdasting comment, been considering a 117 Meridian for DD duties when I’m just dickin around in pretty much all conditions, would you recommend?? Honestly with my exp with the MVP it’s pretty much cash money for OP’s description they’re just a tad mundane for me, great everywhere and very confident/comfortable everywhere, just not a ton of personality if that makes any since? But they really are as billed, won’t let you down. Concept for the mutha fuckin win every time
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Have not tried the Meridian or any Moment ski, but I would like to. I have access to 186 Volkl Ones which have similar dimensions, 116 under foot with full rocker and I’ve skied them a lot. I could see using them as a DD/1SQ out west unless the conditions are really firm. They’re great in corn / potatoes, ski fine on groomers if you stay active.

I have 193 MVPs too, and imo the Devs are more fun on groomers, I assume that is due to the slightly smaller sidecut radius, full length sidecut and increased weight. Both break from carved turns into drifts fairly predictably. I prefer the MVP in powder, it feels surfier. The Dev is the best chopped pow / soft crud / wind buff/ spring corn/ mashed taters ski I’ve ever used. I mounted mine -1cm. The downside is they’re huge and heavy and my legs do get tired when I ski them for days in a row.

If you have 187 MVPs you’re thinking about selling, let me know. I am thinking of setting those up as spring touring ski for NE
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 07-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Word, thanks for the beta, super good info! Keeping em for now, they fill a spot in the quiver for sure but you’ll be first to know if they ever go. Really want to try a fully rockered ski in this category, think the Moment might be it. Super interesting comments on pow/crud performance...
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    If you have 187 MVPs you’re thinking about selling, let me know. I am thinking of setting those up as spring touring ski for NE
    Check with flowing alpy, I think he’s been talking trash about his kids mvps. Maybe you can convince him to steal the skis and sell them to you

Early morning Palmer hot laps at breakneck speeds on 2014 or earlier (reverse camber plus metal) Blizzard Cochises. I wait all year for it. Afternoon slush busting is the next best option. Cochise rails!