What to do with old external HardDrives?

I have three, older, USB analog external drives I used for backup and storage. I now have more SSD storage than I need on two thunderbolt externals which back up and transfer files much faster.

What to do with the old ones? Can I daisy chain them and create a Sonos server connected to my xfinity modem/router? Am I smart enough to do this? Anything else clever I can do with them? They were decent ones in their day but not so much anymore.

WWMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Old hard drives are good for non-critical data that pretty much just needs to be read. You get a lot more read cycles than write cycles on HDs generally.

Almost every router can take a hard drive to make it accessible via your wifi, so a media server is a good plan. I don't think you could realistically just daisy chain a bunch together in that setup though, because I think you'd need some software to do it.

Correct, but you can get the hardware to do it. Wouldn't bother. Put the photos you cherish on them and put them in a closet somewhere.
    Is a media server even necessary these days?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Good idea to stash photos on them in the closet. Just wish there was something clever and creative to make use of 3 old externals.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.