Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Just California’s bid to attract more talented players.
    It's going to work for a while, too, unless the other states follow.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Just California’s bid to attract more talented players.
    Part of why it will take off across the country.

Not if the NCAA has any say. They could isolate California and blackball them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Not if the NCAA has any say. They could isolate California and blackball them.
    If that happens it will probably make it's way to the Supreme Court and the NCAA will not like the outcome of that.

I don't know. Sounds like a complicated case.

Does the NCAA really want to go all in against the combined alumni of USC, Stanford, Cal and UCLA? It’s not like they are blackballing Minnesota, Washington, or even South Carolina or Georgia. It’s California. Also they won’t be able to win the public sentiment side of this one. No one believes the NCAA really cares about the student-athletes. My guess is more than one other state will jump at the opportunity to pass a similar law. Get another two PAC-12 states and a MidWest Big10 state onboard and its an uphill fight. I’m sure Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, even Cincinnati would all love to give their schools an edge in recruiting. While I doubt it would happen what if Texas schools see this as an opportunity to plug up the flow of Texas athletes into SEC schools?

It’s not like anyone really thinks players and their families aren’t getting paid 10s of thousands a year already. Just moving it into the open would benefit the students rather than having to go meet up with wealthy alumni every week or so to get their next cash installment. Johnny starter would rather be able to openly buy his mom a car then have some funky backdoor deal get them a mysteriously low cash price or a closed lease agreement cover it.

NCAA sports video games are going to get more expensive.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

One dimension I see is that it might help to keep players from leaving for the pro leagues so early. Not so many basketball one and dones... More players staying and finishing their degrees before leaving for the NFL/NBA/MLB.. I hope that is a positive result of this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    While I doubt it would happen what if Texas schools see this as an opportunity to plug up the flow of Texas athletes into SEC schools?
    These are a couple years old, but the Texas schools would probably love a chance to buy more players
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	960x0.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	296039

It's schools not on the list that'll be pressured and eventually drop out, imo, even eventually places like Stanford. Because even rich people don't lose money on losers for ever.

This will help a few, but hurt most.
    Thanks Lebron douche.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Thanks Lebron douche.
    So you think that five million a year coaches bullying near children in front of millions while the networks and NCAA and advertisers churn billions of dollars among themselves while sports equipment manufacturers also get into the game to make billions in merchandise sales while athletes can't even get a free meal out of it is fair, and should continue? Talk about a plantation economy.

Don't forget the potential for life altering injury.

the system is broke, this might just speed up the transition to something new.

Yeah, football is pretty much doomed as far as white participation. Mirdle class parents outside of Texas don't want to lead their kids to slaughter.

The schools in the big media markets will make out on this while those in small markets like WSU will suffer greatly. The national companies like Nike will invest in elite athletes located in the big markets and that's where the elite athletes will flow. Any semblance of parody in college athletics dies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Thanks Lebron douche.
    This will help out many of the scholarship athletes who don’t become NFL players but were recruited out of high school. While it will impact things like NCAA games and high profile players with national deals, the big impact is going to be on the recruiting. Booster networks will arrange for ‘likeness deals’ with local businesses to get recruits and take care of kids once they are in the program. “hey man, if you go to USC, this LA business will give you $4000 a month to use your likeness” Currently this just happens underground.

I’d expect a decent chunk of players each P5 school and star players at G5 and even some FCS schools to be benefit from this. Most of whom won’t ever see the NFL. You know there is a mid tear booster lawfirm or car dealership in Boise who would be willing to give up a few thousand dollars to get a good QB/Running back to help ensure they keep making NY6 bowls.

Yeah, football is pretty much doomed as far as white participation. Mirdle class parents outside of Texas don't want to lead their kids to slaughter.
    The increasing awareness of parents about concussion issues and pushing their kids to other activities isn't segregated by color. Kids of all persuasions are flocking to soccer and baseball instead of football.. And plenty of white kids still play football. Clearly you have no connection to youth sports or you'd not be saying such bigoted bullshit.

Mike Roth, AD at Gonzaga made an interesting comment. Noting that basketball has many more international players than football, he commented on how popular Rui Hochimura is in Japan and that, had Rui been able to take sponsor payments, he might have had to take a pay cut going into the NBA. I think that's a little overblown since his sponsorship deals would likely carry over to his pro career but, interesting comment, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The increasing awareness of parents about concussion issues and pushing their kids to other activities isn't segregated by color. Kids of all persuasions are flocking to soccer and baseball instead of football.. And plenty of white kids still play football. Clearly you have no connection to youth sports or you'd not be saying such bigoted bullshit.
    Really man. Black kids playing soccer (soccer??) and baseball? Baseball has seen a staggering drop in the number of black pro players, in case you haven't noticed. It's now a white and Latin game. Black kids just don't have any place to learn the game, and their parents can't afford this new travel team thing. And, soccer, well, har har, I won't even go there.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    You know there is a solo practicioner lawfirm or car dealership in Boise who would be willing to give up a few thousand dollars to get a good QB/Running back to help ensure they keep making NY6 bowls.
    Paging James Piotrowski, James Piotrowski to the white courtesy phone.
    I still call it The Jake.

Black kids just don't have any place to learn the game, and their parents can't afford this new travel team thing. And, soccer, well, har har, I won't even go there.
    You really are a cock blaster.

Well, they don't . Jezuz. Read up on it. Black kids play basketball.

I didn't know there were that many black kids in Firenze Benny.
    I still call it The Jake.

go hawkeyes! anything to start the harbaugh firing process.

It's already started, and TOSU will finish HBag off for good.